Ammano shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
NorthMan77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ammano shrimp

I recently purchased 4 ammano shrimp for my planted tank despite not having a clue about ammano shrimp, or shrimp in general. The first three or four days they looked really healthy and active even well the light was on, then I started a typical EI dosing routine and they vanished! At first I thought they were molting because they were feeding pretty heavily at first and I even found a husk, but after three days passed I feared they had perished. Fortunately well observing my aquarium at night I caught a glimpse of a few roaming around and after becoming impatient I did some exploring and uncovered a few living under rocks and wood. So some are alive which is good, but I am confused why the change of character? My wife thinks it just took a few days for them to find hiding spots, but I am not so sure. I think I may have hurt them with the addition of fertilizer, but for all I know this is normal activity.. I have done a little reading but haven't gained much insight, so maybe the more experienced could chime in.
NorthMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

What kind of fish (if any) do you have in the aquarium? It is possible that the shrimp are simply exhibiting their normal behvaiour (e.g. wanting to survive by avoiding predators).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
pantherspawn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

They could be feeding in the darker recesses of the tank. Just be sure not to have too many, those things eat like crazy. Three of them keep my 55 algae free and I substitute wafers every few days.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
pantherspawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

3 of them have cleaned my tank in one night...I mean...."able to see all the cracks in the driftwood" clean....
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
NorthMan77
Algae Grower

Apologies for not responding, I went camping over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
What kind of fish (if any) do you have in the aquarium? It is possible that the shrimp are simply exhibiting their normal behvaiour (e.g. wanting to survive by avoiding predators).
Well I have cardinal tetras, otto cats and mts, so I don't think they would drive the shrimp into hiding.. I also have a couple feeder fish in there from cycling my tank.. They are bigger(2"-3") They don't really exibit any aggressive tendencies towards the other fish or the ammanos, at least from what I have observed, although it is possible they could be heckling the shrimp or even attacking them. They are going to a new tank in the immediate near future, perhaps that will make a difference.

Quote:
They could be feeding in the darker recesses of the tank. Just be sure not to have too many, those things eat like crazy. Three of them keep my 55 algae free and I substitute wafers every few days
I have since found at least one hiding under a log, but unfortunately I cant find them all. Seems odd they could have perished without a trace, I am not totally convinced they are dead though.
NorthMan77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
crice8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

I hardly ever saw the 20 or so RCS I had in my tank( sometimes i could see one or two at night). I feared they had all died during a rescape. I moved a cholla wood and about 10-15 sscrambled lol I donated my glofish, ADF, and guppies to my soon to be brother in law. there are only 4 neon tetras in the tank now.In the last 3 days since I removed the other fish almost all of my RCS now roam out in the open and around the tank(= I have about 12 saddled females and 2-3 that are berried! I honestly have started t really enjoy shrimp more than the fish. they are fun to watch! I guess what I am getting at, you probably have some sort of fish in there that the shrimp feel is a predator.
crice8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
wheatiesl337
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

I wouldn't worry too much if you arn't finding bodies... they are very obvious, like cooked pink.

Amanos like to hide and are very good at finding hiding spots. More shy than my cherries and I rarely see more than 1-2 of my 4 at a time. I think your wife was right. It took the amanos a few days to find the best hiding spots. Mine did the same thing.
wheatiesl337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
jjt
Algae Grower

Mine also likes to hide especially if the light is on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

mine love cichlid pellets. will run out of nowhere to open water to steal a pellet and run away with it, haha.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
SueD
Algae Grower

I had an amano hitch hiker when I bought some new plants about 6-8 months ago. He jumped on the floor as I was taking the plants out of the plastic bag. I threw him in my tank which has 2 angels, some rummynoses and cories. Hadn't seen him since and I figured he was angel food until about a month ago during a water change. He is now huge!

I still don't know where he hangs out, but I'm sure he's in there somewhere.
SueD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #11
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Does your tank have a cover? I bought 5 about 2 months ago and within 2 days I found every one of them dried up on the floor, they are excellent escape artists. I wouldn't keep these guys again without a cover, JME.
The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...594&highlight=
10g NPT Betta tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=358321
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20A...%20Shrimps.htm This is some info about Amanos
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I bought 5 for my tank and I maybe see 1 a week if I'm lucky after the lights turn off. I keep a bunch of Bamboo shrimp too, they are up in front of the tank all the time day or night.
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #14
pantherspawn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's85 View Post
Does your tank have a cover? I bought 5 about 2 months ago and within 2 days I found every one of them dried up on the floor, they are excellent escape artists. I wouldn't keep these guys again without a cover, JME.
None of my planted tanks have covers and all have Amano.. Though an occasional raspbora will end on the floor once per year that's about all I ever lose. Though I did lose two bamboo shrimp with no cover within a few weeks after I got them.

14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
pantherspawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
jjt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherspawn View Post
None of my planted tanks have covers and all have Amano.. Though an occasional raspbora will end on the floor once per year that's about all I ever lose. Though I did lose two bamboo shrimp with no cover within a few weeks after I got them.

I think tend to jump more if theyre new to the tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.