10g planted RCS tank, 55g community Journal (update heavy)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

10g planted RCS tank, 55g community Journal (update heavy)

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by, i am pretty new to all of this aquatic addiction but am loving it so far, here i will share my journey as i grow my hobby.

I started with a 10gal from lfs and soon realized i needed something bigger. They also didnt tell me anything about cycling and sold me fish and my tank the same day :/. I try not to go there anymore but pick them over petsmart/walmart... But 2 of my 3 original fish died. My black moor lived, and now lives in my 50gal community tank. I moved everything to the 50gallon and left the 10g sitting a few weeks. Now i am getting into planted tanks and shrimp so thats what the 10 gal will be used for. Its setup in the wife and i's bedroom. The 50gal will stay unplanted for the most part (explain later) and will house fish to make the wife/kid happy. (As long as it fits my guidelines i dont want to overstock or kill any fish because violence)

So, in my tanks i have...

10gal:
CaribSea Floramax substrate
(2) 10wat aquarium cfls (not twisted)
(4) patches of dwarf hairgrass
(1) fancy tail guppy
(3) zebra danios

(The fish are only there to eat tiny white worms coming from my newly purchased soil)

50 gallon:
Rainbow shark
Pleco
Blackmoor goldfish
(Unknown) goldfish
Angel fish
(5) zebra danios
(2) african dwarf frogs
Black mystery snail
Moss ball

Might sound pretty stocked to some people but theres plenty of room for everyone...

Will be back with pictures and updates just wanted to get this thing rolling!

Oh! The 10gal has a filter rated for 10gal, and the 50gals filter is the big double headed one rated for 75gal+

I also have a slate cave/hideout i made recently and will be posting that

Last edited by TankYouVeryMuch; 08-28-2013 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Title
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
Phantomic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are you sure that only a 10 watt CFL is enough light for your 10 gallon? I use two 14 watt CFL's on mine!
Phantomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomic View Post
Are you sure that only a 10 watt CFL is enough light for your 10 gallon? I use two 14 watt CFL's on mine!
His OP says that he is using 2 10w CFLs. That should be sufficient. I tried 2 9w CFLs with good results.
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

I read on this forum people were having algea problems with (2) 13 watt bulbs running 5-8hrs a day and to shoot for 1-2 wpg. I wont have any demanding plants in there... Im willing to upgrade if my plants show they need it
Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Black moor goldfish

Rainbow shark/pleco

An african dwarf frog

Rainbow shark enjoying some zucchini

Group shot

Black mystery snail

I actually just bought that yesterday, and there was a baby snail in the bag with it! Dont know if they meant to do that but i was happy. I also have that in the 10gal because i didnt want anything to eat it! They are both doing great zipping around their tanks

DIY slate hideout
I got this idea from a google search and loved the raised flower bed idea...

As you can see in this next picture i planted some dwarf hairgrass in the planter, but my dang goldfish kept ripping it out! So its empty now until i buy a plant for that area... And that will be the only live plant because i barely have any light on the 50gal (i also raised all the levels a little bit more for finished product) used 2 slate tiles and 1 tube of aquarium sealant.

This is kind of random but shows they like the hideout. Also shows empty planter now and that my filters strong enough to suck up veggies

Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Almost forgot the 10gal!

Still looking for that special piece of dw to be my centerpiece... Also learning about plants and trying to figure out what i want...

Shot of some red cherry shrimp locally that i will buy soon for my 10gal.

I still have a ways to go, both learning and setting up this tank...

Right now im going to look up sponge filters because i was just going to tie a stocking around my filter... And i know id like some more moss for the shrimp... I have a very small moss ball in there now too with the baby snail

Come back for updates!! Thanks for stopping in
Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Well! Ive got some christmas moss in the mail so it was time to jump on some aquascaping ideas... Went out today and got a piece of drift wood, ive been looking for a few days but finally found one i liked... Looks better not in a bucket lol. I am soaking it now but may end up boiling it tomorrow. Its already sunken *wipes brow*

Figured if i was out, i might as well get a plant! After browsing around i grabbed the softest, tallest plant i could find there, ended up being narrow leaf java fern. I wasnt exactly sure how much to split it up when i got home as the package said 2-4 plants and i couldve got 6 out of it... So i just made 2 clumpings for now... Also i read today that dwarf hairgrass isnt supposed to be as clumped up as i had them, and should only have 3-5 blades per spot at first?! Im making a ton of rookie mistakes! So i ripped out the grass, broke each piece in half and replanted. (I kept bigger chunks until after ive got the driftwood in) and the roots seems thicker/longer than when i planted

And finally i picked some of these nutes up i hear everyone talking about... Also looked at liquid co2 as i wont be using a setup...

Comments? Concerns? Thanks for looking!

Last edited by TankYouVeryMuch; 07-09-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Duplicate pic
Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Looks like you've got a decent start.

One thing to note, though, is that you'll want to remove the Java Ferns from your substrate. Burying the rhizome will cause them to rot. It's fine to bury the roots but they'll do much better attached to rocks to weight them down or tied to a piece of wood.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Thanks for the info, ill try to attach it at the bottom of the drift wood somewhere... Would glue work on that also or should i sandwich between a rock and the dw?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

You can use superglue gel to attach the ferns. Or cotton thread. Some people even use fishing line but I find that option to be my least preferred.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:19 AM   #11
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Few picture updates, love the dip/canyon in the driftwood... Also put some xmas moss in the 50gal just to see if itd grow

Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Ok guys, time for you to chime in...

Another day, another problem lol.

So yesterday I posted this

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hlight=http://

and then just now when I turned on the light to the 10gal, looking around for the snails, I saw these 3 little patches... weird thing is, it looks EXACTLY like what was in my blood worms!?! There were fish in this tank for maybe 4 days, so they were only fed 4 times. What can be causing this white stuff? it looks like tiny bits of cotton or a spiders web on the ground... ?!?!?

^^Hope someone can help me with this.

In other news, I also found a tiny tiny tiny snail that mustve snuck past me... so theres 5-6 snails in the 10gal now, but I could only find this one

Old 07-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

The stuff on your substrate is likely just growth that happens in new tanks. Sort of a fungus that will eventually go away.

Unless you got your Hair Grass from Petsmart and didn't wash all of the gel off of it prior to planting.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

And what if i didnt? Lol. The first time i planted it and had no idea what i was doing... I did see decent sized chunks of the gel floating in my tank... Im sure it settled down into the substrate

Rookie mistake #1000?

-edit-

Wait were you trying to say its the gel? I dont think it is because this stuff looks a tiny bit white

Last edited by TankYouVeryMuch; 07-12-2013 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

If it's the gel, it'll be fine. Just remove it.

As far as the fungus goes, if that's what it is, it'll be fine if you siphon it out with a piece of airline tubing or just removing with tweezers or your fingers.