Scuds...again..help please =/
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
white_wolf
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Scuds...again..help please =/

Hey everyone, I need some help getting rid of these things.

I have a 8.5gal shrimp tank... not over-run or infested, but I do see a few from time to time. I've been catching what I see, and killing them on sight. I got them from infested HC... -_- that's the first and last time I skip the quarantine step (still new at this planted tank thing).

I co2 bombed my tank... but I guess there were eggs in the plants... or something; and I have some survivors.

I have an idea of how to kill them off, I just need to know if I'm heading in the right direction.

Here's what I intend to do:
1) Move shrimp into another tank
2) Uproot/remove all the HC
3) Drain tank of water
4) Remove substrate and dry it out for... half a day(?)..a day(?)

Here are my questions:
- ^Would the above method work?
- If I wanted to reuse my HC...what can I do to ensure no Scuds/Eggs survive?
- If I dry out the substrate... will all the good bacteria die? (I know this sounds like a dumb question...but in m.bio, I remember reading/learning that some bacteria can survive extreme conditions...just not sure if the ones in my tank can do the same =P)
white_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

I did not think Scuds laid eggs. I thought the carried the young just like shrimp.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
white_wolf
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
I did not think Scuds laid eggs. I thought the carried the young just like shrimp.
I've read that somewhere too.

But it's the only explanation I can come up with for why I have scuds again. Well...unless I didn't bomb the tank correctly.

I lowered the water, dumped a lot of excel into the water, and turned up the co2 for 30min (and I saran wrapped the top of my tank).

=/
Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I dont believe scuds lay eggs, but they can survive for days in a drop of water. What I did last time I had the problem was take all the plants and dip in a water container with copper medication in it. Completely dry out the tank by hand so you don't miss anything and then put the substrate in a baking pan and bake it for half hour at 400F. Do this all simultaneously and the tank can be up after a few hours. As far as the bacteria, it would all die from the drying out. Unfortunately they're not extremophiles. If the scuds have colonized the filter than you may have to cycle again.
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Do you have a similar tank with fish? Put the shrimp in the fish tank and move the fish into the shrimp tank. Or put a Betta or puffer in that shrimp tank (again moving the shrimp out first)

The fish will be happy to eat your scuds
Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (427/100%)

Scuds are the devil, in my opinion. They eat moss, cause other problems and bully shrimp. There are reports of them even killing smaller shrimp.

I recommend you take the advice of others and start over if you want to truly get rid of them. Otherwise, it'll take some real patience and a lot of effort.

Update: As jbrady suggests, fish could definitely help. If you don't have another tank, you could always put your shrimp in a hang-on breeder box for a few weeks while the fish do their job.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDestroy View Post
I dont believe scuds lay eggs, but they can survive for days in a drop of water. What I did last time I had the problem was take all the plants and dip in a water container with copper medication in it. Completely dry out the tank by hand so you don't miss anything and then put the substrate in a baking pan and bake it for half hour at 400F. Do this all simultaneously and the tank can be up after a few hours. As far as the bacteria, it would all die from the drying out. Unfortunately they're not extremophiles. If the scuds have colonized the filter than you may have to cycle again.
don't use copper if it's a shrimp tank
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
blacksheep998
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had scuds in my CRS tank awhile back. I just spent a lot of time with my trusty turkey baster sucking them out. Eventually I saw fewer and fewer of them.

I did have a couple more appear a month or so later, but once I caught those I didn't see them ever again.
blacksheep998 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Yep that's what Im doing right now....turkey bastering those b.......s!

They might be shrimplike, but they eat the food, eat the plants, eat the molts, and eat the shrimplets if they can catch them, or just jump on them etc which I believe stresses the shrimps out and they die.

Ive got a 2.5 gallon tank all ready for the ones I catch and I am going to let them live in there and I will feed them to my fish! Swords and Killiefish love scuds!

My Betta isn't as adept at catching them, I think theyre too fast for him, but not the swords or killies.....whoosh, swords 10 -scuds 0
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Dave6265
Algae Grower

I have scuds overrunning my evolve right now. My attempts to remove them by net or with cucumber have not put a slightest dent in them, and the damn things have eradicated all moss and glosso in the tank.

I'll be picking up another tank for the shrimp, throwing some of my tetras in there, and then turning it into a betta tank.
Dave6265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
white_wolf
Algae Grower

Quote:
...Completely dry out the tank by hand so you don't miss anything and then put the substrate in a baking pan and bake it for half hour at 400F. ....
If I bake my substrate, will it harm my substrate?
*I have ADA Amazonia
Old 07-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #12
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

The substrate itself? No, but don't count on any bacteria or scuds surviving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
If I bake my substrate, will it harm my substrate?
*I have ADA Amazonia
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #13
white_wolf
Algae Grower

Quote:
The substrate itself? No, but don't count on any bacteria or scuds surviving.
Thank you!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
dhavoc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

your co2 was too short if you only did it for 30 min. most do it for 1-2 days. they hide in the substrate and unless you do it long enough they MAY just find enough oxygen to survive a short burst. myself I nuke the tank... dry everything out for a few days (especially the filter). I don't even dip plants, they get donated or fed to my koi/crays. new plants from a tank that is scud free to restart. sucks that you have to cycle all over again, but its the only way. I use a turkey baster and zuc bait on less critical tanks, but I never expect to get rid of them, only keep them somewhat in check and I REALLY ENJOY feeding them to my fish. ive found them still clinging to life in nearly dry filter sponges. as long as they can keep their swimerettes damp they live.
dhavoc is online now   Reply With Quote