41g Rimless Fluval Osaka (56k)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Chronados
Terrible Carpenter

PTrader: (19/100%)

41g Rimless Fluval Osaka (56k)

First tank journal here! My goal here is a zero to low maintenance tank that can go for 2-3 weeks at a time without having to do something, as I frequently go on business trips.

Latest Pic (10/22/2013) - 3 month update! Plants are growing slowly (as intended) but there is steady progress, particularly with the fissidens and mini fissidens. The algae disaster that occurred while I was away on business has mostly been cleaned up thanks to a H2O2 + Excel treatment and increased CO2 levels

Equipment:
Filtration - FX5 with custom plumbing and SS mesh prefilter (Made by H4n)
Lighting - Rapidled 6" x 20" fixture with 14x XP-G's (10 CW, 2 WW, 2 Royal Blue) running off a Meanwell ELN-60-48D @ 1A, dimmed to hit ~40 PAR at substrate
CO2 - Single stage Victor + Swagelok needle valve
Misc - DIY combo in-line CO2 reactor/heater
Ranco Temperature Controller
Eheim Skim350

I am dosing modified EI (2 week water changes), through a DIY Arduino + 3x (macro/micro/Excel) peristaltic pump setup per http://fishtankprojects.com/diy-aqua...ing-pumps.html

Eventually, the Arduino will be used to power 2x mechanical relays that will control the lights and CO2. For now, they will be controlled by appliance timers

Hardscape:

- Manzanita driftwood (Tom Barr)
- 10 lbs of Ohko stone
- PFS/Aquasoil substrate

Fauna:
- 2 Long Fin Diamond Blue Ram
- 15+ Espei Rasbora
- 15+ Pygmy Cory
- 5+ Amano Shrimp
- 5 Otos

Flora:
- Mini fissidens
- Fissidens
- Needle Leaf Java fern
- Anubias nana petite, attached to driftwood and "planted" in shaded Aquasoil regions
- Anubias nana
- Marsilea Minuta
- Stauro. Repens
- 'Belem' Hairgrass

Last edited by Chronados; 10-23-2013 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: Formatting
Chronados is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Chronados
Terrible Carpenter

Back to the story!

For a while I had been planning on saving up for a 75g Deep Blue rimless tank setup, having recently moved into a condo and having the space for a large tank. However, an ad for a rimless 45g tank and stand popped up on Craigslist for $75 one day, piquing my interest because it was such an odd rimless tank size. After contacting the seller he sent me this picture

Needless to say I picked it up after work

A few weeks ago, more Craigslist searching got me a pair of FX5's. The issue arose from the design of the Osaka 155 stand, which has a center support and doesn't fit the FX5. I removed it, with concerns that the center would start to sag. Furthermore, the side walls are overhung such that they are not directly over the base, which means the center support was doing much more work than in your typical stand.

A few weeks later, I finally got around to creating the interior support I wanted for the stand. I used spare 2x4's leftover from various projects, and came up with this. Everything is screwed to everything. There is enough room in front of the front supports to fit some sort of CO2 reactor on one side, and a powerstrip on the other. There isn't much horizontal room anymore due to the 2x4's, but the 5lb tank is the only other big thing left to go in, so I'm not too concerned. It doesn't seem like it from the picture, but there is plenty of vertical clearance for the aquastop valves and tubing coming from the FX5

The small 2x4 spacer serve to create a channel for routing wires/tubing, as well as getting the vertical legs over the base, as seen here.

After about an hour of shimming, the top finally went on (along with half a bottle of Gorilla Glue)

The next stage was to remove the top aluminum trim. I noticed early on that it didn't appear to be structural, and was simply siliconed on. As it turns out, there is actually a layer of black paint beneath the silicone (presumably to cover up bubbles), which took a bit more scraping to get off, especially in the corners as the glass is flared out at the very top edge due to the bend. After many razor blades, I finally got everything cleaned up (for anyone doing this, replace razor blades OFTEN, it helps a TON)

Before

After

Much cleaner! I left the bottom rim on because I don't mind it as much (since it's not blocking the transition to air or anything), plus the silicone at the bottom reaches up to the same height as the band anyways. Next stage will be spray painting the stand in some sort of dark textured gray, if I can find it. Then, it's onto building the light hangers out of conduit piping.

Last edited by Chronados; 08-27-2013 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Edit
Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
MyMonkey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks like a great deal there. Going to be a good one. I love the Fluval tanks.
MyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
rpayer
Planted Tank Obsessed

very cool project. i have this size osaka
rpayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (78/100%)

Beautiful tank! Definitely a good decision to remove the top rim.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

That looks great, and for only $75!? That's a really expensive tank when new.

The dimensions should be fun to work with. You'll need some tall plants to fill that height, or some very clever scaping.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #7
Chronados
Terrible Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
That looks great, and for only $75!? That's a really expensive tank when new.

The dimensions should be fun to work with. You'll need some tall plants to fill that height, or some very clever scaping.
I have a large piece of driftwood from Tom Barr coming that should do exactly this

Anyways, I repainted the stand this weekend, using Rustoleum Textured Paint - Caribbean Sand. The resulting effect is awesome, especially with a light sanding to remove some of the roughness, but it took way more cans of paint than I had anticipated (7, and only the exterior was painted with it - the interior is white). It really needs quite a thick layer to achieve an even color, even with an undercoat of white.

Going on a 2 week long business trip to China now, and I'll be coming home to my LED supplies, conduit pipe work, and my hardscape, so it will be a big update!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Shawn123
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow I can't believe you got an Osaka for $75. I would love to have one of those, love the design.
Shawn123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I have always "kind of" liked these tanks as soon as I first saw them. However, the metal trim and curved glass combined with the curved stand looks a bit busy. I absolutely love what you did by removing the top rim and changing up the stand color. Looks so much better.

Can't wait to see what you do with this.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
discuspaul
Wannabe Guru

Nice job - looks quite different with the top metal trim removed - very neat & stylish.
You can really make that set-up look fantastic, especially with the stand painted white.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Here's my Osaka 155 when I first got it set up about 4 years ago - first pic only:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...uspaul/Anubias
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
Chronados
Terrible Carpenter

Thanks guys!

Quick update, as I just got back from my trip. First, the light. Here are the parts from Rapidled, as they arrived:

Everything was well packaged, but the finish on the heatsink was a little marred in places (looks like chemical damage, not scratches). Oh well.

Holes drilled

Inset milled out for the 120mm fan. The fan sitting on top looked a little too obtrusive for me so I recessed it about 15mm. If there are flow issues for whatever reason, I will install some spacers to raise the fan. The fan is a Antec Truequiet Pro 120. Very sleek looking!

Finally my scape. I feel I cheated a bit as there are only 3 pieces of driftwood in the picture thanks to an amazing centerpiece from Tom Barr. I may play around with it a bit and add some lowish rocks to the left side. The current plan is to have ADA Amazonia in the back 1/2 of the tank, heavily sloped and retained with rocks, and pool filter sand in the front 1/2

I'm in the process of building the heatsink and conduit pipe now and will post an update in a few days
Old 07-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks like a great start, congrats on stealing that Osaka
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
Chronados
Terrible Carpenter

Thanks!

Planned scape for now. Anyone have any recommendations on what to place in the Amazonia? I'm currently thinking Marsilea Minuta in the shaded areas underneath the "tree". I'm not sure what would be best on the unshaded section to the left though. The scape was designed with aesthetics in mind, as well as ease of maintainence. I want to avoid fast growers (or plants that are annoying to trim), with a mind to the probable PAR values at each part of the tank (ie anubias underneath the java fern to prevent GSA, mini fissidens at lower parts of the tank, etc). The top anubias petite is to be emersed.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
h4n
Hobbuiness Man

PTrader: (672/100%)

wow very nice so far, cant wait to see it done!
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #15
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Wow! You literally found the PERFECT piece of wood for that tank! Well done.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.