New Nutrafin cycle test - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #31
snowtires
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wednesday

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite <0.1 ppm (even lighter tint, looks clear in natural light)
Nitrate <5 ppm (The plants are eating the nitrate?)

I was driving home from work today and found a new fish store that i didnt know was there, low and behold a bottle of Tetra safe start. I bought the bottle but dont know if i should still bother adding it? should i dump it in the tank with the fish in there? or maybe wait until my next water change? or wait until i add more fish? i dont know
snowtires is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #32
snowtires
Algae Grower

Thursday
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite. 0ppm
Nitrate <3ppm

Water is looking brown from the tannins in the driftwood so I did a 25% water change. I used seachem prime approximately 1/4ml that's pretty hard to measure exactly.
Added some tetra safestart

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #33
snowtires
Algae Grower

Friday
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite. 0ppm
Nitrate. 5ppm

Conclusion, nutrafin cycle has good ammonia eating bacteria and not so good nitrite eating bacteria. Both bottles have nitrosomonas but like everyone is saying the nitrospira is where its at.

Tank is cycled

Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #34
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

There are different species of Nitrosomonas.
The bacteria that have been identified as part of the nitrogen cycle have been described as..

Ammonia --> Nitrite
Nitrosomonas marina-like bacteria.
NOT Nitrosomonas europa. (This one seems to survive in reasonable numbers in a marine tank)

Nitrite --> Nitrate
Nitrospira moscoviensis-like bacteria
Nitrospira marina-like bacteria.
NOT Nitrobacter winogradsky.

There are several species of bacteria that may live temporarily in the tank, and may or may not help with ammonia and nitrite removal. They are easily bottled since they enter a dormant or spore stage. These are the species that are usually in most 'cycle in a bottle' products.

The products that contain Nitrospira and Nitrosomonas marina related bacteria are harder to package. These bacteria do not enter any dormant phase and should be kept cool. You can store the bottle in the fridge between uses. Add some with each addition of fish. I would do a water change right before or a day before. Then do not do water changes until the bacteria have a chance to cling to surfaces. Give them a few days. (Instructions are on the label).

An alternate way to use these products is to do the fishless cycle in a bucket. Add whatever media will fit in your filter. Make the water chemistry especially good for the bacteria (plenty of minerals, high pH). When the fishless cycle in the bucket is done the filter media will have a big bacteria population, and you can add this to the tank when you add more fish.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #35
snowtires
Algae Grower

Thanks Diana,I can clearly see that you pretty much knew what was going to happen but for science sakes took an interest.

Saturday
ammonia 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate. 5

I added 1 dwarf gourami and 1 bronze wendtii

I have a half a bottle of safe start as backup

Old 07-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #36
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I am glad you did the experiment. Please keep on posting.
What are your other water parameters? GH & KH specifically.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #37
snowtires
Algae Grower

I don't have a test kit for those so I couldn't really say. Maybe I will get one I know our tap water is very soft, it could pass for RO water

Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #38
snowtires
Algae Grower

Sunday
The new dwarf gourami is pacing back and forth except for at feeding time. I am going to try and find a floating plant that would be good for a super low light aquarium for some cover.
Between the gourami and the 6 mountain minnows there's a lot of action and I think this is fully stocked. I will probably add a few shrimp tho.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 AM   #39
snowtires
Algae Grower

Monday
Last night i noticed the dwarf gourami had a fungus spot on his left side, one on the top of his fin and one on the bottom fin. I immediatly did a 50% water change last night.
I stopped by the fish store when i bought him and another one in the tank had fungus too, the other gouramis were nipping at him. He immediatly took him out to put in the hospital tank.
Anyway he gave me a bag to return him with and he would put him in the tank to be treated and i could have another fish. He said it was a normal fungus on the wound from the other fish. I went home and saw the fungus on his side was gone, and the one on the top fin and bottom fin are smaller so i think he is fighting it. Dwarf gouramis are very suseptable to disease. So i am going to wait it out, hes eating fine and i think he can beat this one on his own.
I am thinking about doing another 25% water change today, any thoughts? Temp is at 76

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates <3
Old 07-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #40
snowtires
Algae Grower

Its been just over a week since I posted last. I have not added anymore cycle or safe start to the tank. Ammonia or nitrite have not spiked. They test 0 ppm every time. The tank has 1 dwarf gourami. 6 mountain minnows and 3 amano shrimp

Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #41
snowtires
Algae Grower

If I ever get the chance to cycle again I have a strong feeling that a combination of safe start and cycle could instantly cycle a tank

Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #42
snowtires
Algae Grower

Just a quick update for anyone interested. Havent added anymore gunk to the tank and all is well. But was in the cycle or the safe start or did it cycle on its own? I guess we will never know because I am a bad experimenter.