Quad T5 on a 55gal?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
stefus_prime
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quad T5 on a 55gal?

When I purchased my 55 gal it came with an 48'' Oddysea (sp?) Quad T5 (it was used for a reef setup), at 216w in total this seems too powerful, is there some way I can set this up so the power output is equivalent to around 2.5-3wpg? Each set of bulbs has its own power supply so I'm contemplating just shutting off two of the bulbs and running two. What do you guys think?
stefus_prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
fermentedhiker
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yes it can work. I have a nova extreme t5x4 over my 55. You're right though 4 bulbs is way too much. I have my fixture elevated about 6 inches above the tank with only two bulbs running and it's still a bit of overkill. Ideally what you could do is run two bulbs for half of your photo period and then have a timer switch those off and the other two on so you get better coverage, but you'll have to watch the length of the photo period really closely(along with other factors) or it will just be an algae farm.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have the same and mine is also 6" above my tank with only 2 lights on at a time. I never thought to alternate mine though.. I may just do that since I happen to have a spare timer
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

WPG is outdated now-a-days, PAR data and lumens is a better way to figure your lighting. Odyssea 48" T5HO quad systems are around 5,000 lumens per bulb which is why most people will tell you that a single T5HO bulb is enough lighting for a 55 gallon tank.

Now with that said I prefer using Quad T5HO setups for my tank because it lets me run 2 x 6500k bulbs from 9am to 12noon, and then use 2 x 5000k bulbs for afternoon from 12noon to 4pm. Because 5000k bulbs reflect late afternoon sunlight better than 6500k bulb do.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
stefus_prime
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks guys, I think I'll do 2 at a time like some of you reccomended. What kind of bulbs should I use for each period and how many hours of light for each would you reccomend?
stefus_prime is offline   Reply With Quote