Drop checker reading
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Drop checker reading

On my 70gal tank if I set my regulator to 25psi and diffuse at 2-3BPS I get no reading on my drop checker? I have to turn my parker MV H3L up to 2, 9 anyone who has one of these or seen one know what I mean. I have my CO2 running to a Ista Max Mix right now but i had it hooked to a duetto 100 filter,a glass diffuser,an I also tried a rhinox 5000 I think it was. The max mix seems to be doing the best for some reason. I also turned down my MV to 2, 5, to see if I get the same reading on my drop checker. If anyone can offer any help into this?

This is a pic of the same Metering Valve I have on my 5gal u see this one is set on 2, 2,

Last edited by newbieplanter; 07-06-2013 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Added pic
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You have to make sure you are using the standard 4kdh solution on the drop checker and adding 2 to 3 drops of the blue PH agent. If you did that and the color isn't changing in 2 hours, your CO2 level isn't high enough. Then, you have to continue to increase your CO2 level. Do this gradually or by 1 working psi in every 2 hour. Watch the fish to see if they are grasping for air. Do this while you are home all day. BTW, you have a 70g. 2 to 3 bps won't cut it. Most likely you have to increase your CO2 level so much that you couldn't even count the bps. So, don't use the bubble counter. Second thing, try to turn your needle valve almost fully open. Drop your working pressure to 10psi to 15psi. Your CO2 reactor, Ista Max, does not require a lot of pressure to work. I am using the same CO2 reactor. My working pressure is 13psi but my needle valve is pretty wide open. I have a 40g tank.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

As said above, make sure you have 4kdh with the proper PH solution. Secondly, make sure you don't have any leaks and you can see bubbles in the reactor (it looks like it is clear). Turn it up slightly every day if your fish seem to be acting normal. You can also move your drop checker around to see if you are getting more CO2 in a different area of the tank.

It does seem strange if you are doing all that because even if you are not close to 30PPM, it should change a bit, even if you are well under that, you should get a blue green. I know for myself, with much smaller tanks, I can be injecting almost nothing and get some color change.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

What drop checker are you using? I ordered a GLA Pearl, think the opening is too small, it takes a really long time to change color. I recently installed a pH controller so at least I can see what the pH is without relying just on the drop checker.
Nightspell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspell View Post
What drop checker are you using? I ordered a GLA Pearl, think the opening is too small, it takes a really long time to change color. I recently installed a pH controller so at least I can see what the pH is without relying just on the drop checker.
I got one of those plastic drop checkers it looks like a little oval shaped egg.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

Make sure you are not using regular water.
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by concepts88 View Post
Make sure you are not using regular water.
I think that's what it is, I only used the liquid that came with the drop checker mixed with tank water as the instructions stated.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
I think that's what it is, I only used the liquid that came with the drop checker mixed with tank water as the instructions stated.
This is the incorrect way of doing it. Most drop checkers (unfortunately) come with incorrect instructions telling you to mix it with aquarium/distilled/tap water, when using a solution of a known dkH is required (a 4 dkH reference solution is commonly used).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought some self-proclaimed 4dkh water off Ebay. How do I know for sure what I received was truly 4dkh? I don't want to gas my tank because I was too lazy to spend 5 minutes mixing my own solution. But if it really is 4dkh, I would rather not mix my own (yes I saw that link som1 posted earlier on how to make diy 4dkh water).
mr.bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
This is the incorrect way of doing it. Most drop checkers (unfortunately) come with incorrect instructions telling you to mix it with aquarium/distilled/tap water, when using a solution of a known dkH is required (a 4 dkH reference solution is commonly used).
I'm getting some in the mail already, like u learned me I did some research. Lol ; ) Tanks!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got my water off eBay also and been using it in an Ada drop checker with Ada ph for over 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bigglesworth View Post
I bought some self-proclaimed 4dkh water off Ebay. How do I know for sure what I received was truly 4dkh? I don't want to gas my tank because I was too lazy to spend 5 minutes mixing my own solution. But if it really is 4dkh, I would rather not mix my own (yes I saw that link som1 posted earlier on how to make diy 4dkh water).
Do you have a carbonate hardness test kit? You can verify your reference solution that way.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2 help, diffusers, drop checker.