Build My LED Help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Build My LED Help

Hey guys, posted this thread on buildmyled forum but got no response, so Im going to post it here for the people who have built it.

"
Hey guys, Im really interested in designing a fixture for myself but I had a few questions first.

Actually, first, my tank conditions and dimensions.

Its a 45 gallon heavily planted. 12" width x 15" height from gravel to lights x 47.5 length

I dont care about fish, its about about the plants. I have Rotala Pearl Type II, mini butterfly, sp 'H ra', Macranda 'Japan Red' and many other high requiring plants.

Reds are very very important to me. I have lush greens and reds and need lights that will make both pop out.

I dont like sea blues at all. I like a nice amazon colours. I know I can drop a driftwood and get that water colour

Ive read 80 to 100 PAR at the substrate is high light, so I need that at a minimum. Do you have any PAR measurements, under water and no air?

So I read a topic I cant find around atm but it had 6500k lights and the reds. I think I like that. But I was wondering if I can add a green or something to help the plants overall? It will be a 48" fixture but what about my angle? 75 deg? The fixture will be right on the tank, I wont be hanging it.

Last question, unless more come up, but I cant find anywhere on the design page that the legs or attachments are included or not. I would be kind of disappointed if they are not, I know I get to design the light, but for such a price Id expect it to be a finished unit.

Thanks,
Sameer
"

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
wheeling
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I got a customerized LED from BML, 48 inches as yours. I have 6500K cool white with 4 replacement of 660 nm deep red, it showes the red very nicely, with no problem with green either. Unfortunately, it doens't come with tank mount and you have to buy it seperately, and it will lift the light about 1 inch from the surface of the tank, and allow you to tilt the light front or back slightly. I alos bought the dimmer, I think it is needed since 100% is too strong. I keep it at 75 to 80% and the plants are happy. I have a 75g and it is deeper than yours, so I have 90 degree angle, you may try 75.

Hope this helps.
wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeling View Post
I got a customerized LED from BML, 48 inches as yours. I have 6500K cool white with 4 replacement of 660 nm deep red, it showes the red very nicely, with no problem with green either. Unfortunately, it doens't come with tank mount and you have to buy it seperately, and it will lift the light about 1 inch from the surface of the tank, and allow you to tilt the light front or back slightly. I alos bought the dimmer, I think it is needed since 100% is too strong. I keep it at 75 to 80% and the plants are happy. I have a 75g and it is deeper than yours, so I have 90 degree angle, you may try 75.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much, I was thinking around the same line. I was thinking to get the stand and not the dimmer. But then it really is too strong. I really dont want to spend more on a dimmer. If it means that the LEDs will last longer at 80%, then it makes sense. But then again, how many years is it going to take for the led to short/die. I dont mind retarded stong light, it just means I have to be extra care full with nutrient dosing and having a big bio-load. Dang, now I think I might need the dimmer.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
denske
Crypt addiction

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have a 30" fixture on a 20 long, with the light right on the tank with the 15$ tank mounts they sell, I was getting 100-105 par at the substrate. This is with the 75* beam, which I was not exactly crazy about, being right on the tank, the back of the tank was dim at the top 2-3" I eventually raised it up 4-5" to light the whole tank, and still was getting 80-85 par at the substrate using a par meter I got from hoppy.
denske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
denske
Crypt addiction

PTrader: (10/100%)

Best bet is to call them and ask for Nick, explain exactly what you want, he will get you straightened out.
denske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by denske View Post
I have a 30" fixture on a 20 long, with the light right on the tank with the 15$ tank mounts they sell, I was getting 100-105 par at the substrate. This is with the 75* beam, which I was not exactly crazy about, being right on the tank, the back of the tank was dim at the top 2-3" I eventually raised it up 4-5" to light the whole tank, and still was getting 80-85 par at the substrate using a par meter I got from hoppy.
That's a lot of par. I'm sure I can get a 36, hang it and get insane pare throughout the entire bottom. But I'm in an apartment and its best if I can keep it under my hood. I have posted on their forum, if nothing, I will call. Thanks.