Diy 40 gal breeder stand - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #16
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Disclaimer notice:

This is in no way a do it yourself guide to building a fishtank stand. This is just my personal own build. I dont sell custom built stands or explain how to build. These are pictures of my own personal experience. If your looking for free money go donate plasma....lol.
andrewq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjombeejoe View Post
If you are that paranoid, you better put a disclaimer on this thread, or someone will follow your directions make one themselves and sue you anyways. Then you could sue the guy on youtube who made the video. America........
LOL, what a world we live in.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #18
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Now its time to decide what to do with the 29gal........hmmmm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357[1].jpg
Views:	38
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	170809  

Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #19
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just an update, but I sold the 29 gal to a family member. She was happy to receive at, and Im helping her get the tank cycled. Im going to give her all my swords( if she has room for them). Also angelfish, and dojo loaches. My loaches are awesome, always so friendly and just relaxed. Hate to see them go but they keep digging up my plants. Angelfish are always fighting with each other, and they just started spawning. Also are really agressive towards all other fish. So they got to go. Just put new EC on top of the existing substrate. Also added some root tabs.

Right now I have the 40 gallon, and 5.5 gallon. Tank dosent look great right now but its cycled. Plants and fish are happy and thats what matters. Angelfish actually spawned a week after the transition from 29 to 40 gal. I guess thats why they call it a breeder tank, LOL. 40 gallons getting new plants in the near future and driftwood is shipping now. I got the driftwood from a website called bloomsandbranches, and I hope the wood will work. I actually called them, and they had reassured all there wood is natural with no chemicals. Also that more and more people are buying there driftwood for aquariums( I will post pics as soon as I get the driftwood).

Going to upgrade lighting to clip on lights with 23w/6500k cfl bulbs. Probably 2, and it should be more than enough. I was thinking about co2, but I have no experience with it at all. Also not sure if the plants Im going to purchase will need it........???

Plant package I put together-

Ludwigia Peruensis
Staurogyne repens
Tiger Lotus, Red
Ludwigia, Broad Leaf
Arrowhead, Red
Lloydiella, Golden
Pennywort, Brazilian
Lloydiella
Arrowhead, White

After all the plants are adjusted to the tank. I would like to carpet hairgrass. Has anyone been able to carpet HG without co2? Also any experience with the plants I listed would be appreciated. Thanks

PS-The 3rd picture is more less the look im trying to achieve, and is not one of my tanks. Wish it was, but I'll get there. Lol

ALSO MY DIY STAND IS HOLDING UP GREAT! VERY HAPPY WITH THE BUILD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	179769  

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	179777  

Attached Images

Last edited by andrewq; 07-24-2013 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Driftwood came in today

So I got the driftwood in today, and Im happy with the piece i got. I only purchased one to test the quality of the wood. Its california ghostwood. Looks good, and only time will tell how good it does. It looks great, but I guess we will see. I have it soaking presently, and took a few pictures. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	180690  

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	180698  

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	180706  

Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #21
Coldwater King
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got a 60$ stand for a 40 for 12$, solid steel and looks really clean.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sweet deal, why cant I find stuff like that in san antonio :/
Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #23
Coldwater King
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey your stands look better than mine, though my tank is going in my basement so... looks don't matter.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #24
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I got impatient with the driftwood. To large to boil and to impatient to boil for 2 weeks. So I did maybe 3 water changes a day, and the amount of tanins being released has significantly been reduced. So what the heck, threw it in today. Along with some plants generously donated by chrislewistx. The camera on my iphone is extremely bad. So apologize for bd pictures. Im happy with how it turned out. Probably gonna add a few more plants, and upgraded lighting is on its way in the mail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0389[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	181634  

Name:	IMG_0390[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	181642  

Old 10-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #25
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Been a while since Ive updated this thread. Tank has gone through alot of changes. Removed driftwood, and added larger piece. Changed plants around, added root tabs, upgraded lighting, additional aquaclear 70 filter, hydor koralia pump, liquid micros and macros. Still no co2, and my plants are doing fine without it. Plants: A ton of java moss, crypt, oval ludwigia, pennywort, java fern, needle leaf java fern, 2 random downoi, giant hairgrass( prob gonna remove hairgrass and put giant hygro) corkscrew val. Vals are behind driftwood, and are growing quickly after I started liquid dosing and osmocote root tabs. Cant see them really but theres about 40 plants back there. Once they grow to the top I will spread throughout the back of tank. Enjoy

I just picked up a 20gallon long on craigslist for $5. Awesome deal, and fits perfectly underneath my 40gallon. You can kinda of see it, not really. Thats a work in progress. All I have for the 20 is a filter. Will probably have to remove shelf for added work room. Cant really get my hands in there to do anything.

Liquid ferts, and osmocote purchased from nilocg. Thanks again, and great communication!
Plants came from aquabid, and chrislewistx-fellow planted tank member!
Moss, and driftwood was found locally on craigslist
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	218193  

Name:	IMG_0512.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	218201  

Old 10-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #26
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice build. The finish product looks great. I like the arrangement in your tank. The moss on the driftwood looks great. What are two plants in the front right corner. Is it some type of sword or crypt.

Your stand looks pretty solid. I am using the same diy design that is used all over the internet. It can easily be modified for extra support pending on tank size(s). Better to aire on the side of structural stability. I finally started construction on 2 quad 40g breeder stands after a year of designing and planning. I will start a journal in a few weeks.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thankyou, and the plant was labeled as cryptocoryne undulata. I bought it from my lfs. Its a great plant, and has been changing colors lately. I just started dosing liquid micros and macros, and im curious to see how much more its going to change in color. Will post updates later

As for the stand. This was my first attempt at building a stand. I too followed the same layout of other diyers. This stand is sold, and should last a while. My only regret is that I didnt add the poles for hanging my lights. Planned everything out, and actually had Lowes cut the pieces to size for me. I do have my own saw, but it made things alot easier.

Im planning on building a stand for my 20gallon long. This stand will have doors, and probably be higher. Wont start this one for a few months though. I got to get everything together for the tank first.
Im thinking of building another stand for my 20long. This ones going to be a little more fancy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.