Hawaiian Red Shrimp Issues and Breeding - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #61
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've ordered some online since my last post. Been drooling over the thought of having some for months. Willing (more than!) to buy some from someone willing (hint, hint!) to sell some here in our forum!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #62
Koi Kameon
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Puyallup View Post
I've ordered some online since my last post. Been drooling over the thought of having some for months. Willing (more than!) to buy some from someone willing (hint, hint!) to sell some here in our forum!

When I die, I'm deeding mine to James Patterson.

If you don't have a sustantial amount of the short green algae in your tank/conatainer for them--grab some spirulina powder from a health food store to tide them over til it grows. They do eat bio film too but that might not be enough, esp. if you ordered a lot. Just put a TINY amount of powder on top of the water with a toothpick like once a week. They really do not eat much.
Koi Kameon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #63
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

I ordered 50 shrimp with live rock, "live" water and the rest. I have set up a Bookshelf tank (it's plastic and will probably scratch like crazy with the rock). I put live sand, live rubble and some cultured live rock in it. Have an airstone blowing and a fluorescent burning for about 12 hours daily to encourage algal growth.

Would like to know what plants will live in this tank, and hope to have some snails in it to help keep the algae under some control.

I'm really excited about trying these guys after having a bit of success with cherries, tigers, blueberries and crystals!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #64
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd try some nerites, some can transition between fresh and salt. I would think any macros that can grow in shallow water would deal with some fluctuating. Maybe turtle or shoal grass.

If you use crushed coral substrates or aragonite sand don't think you need to add calcium supplements or buffer the water.

Saltwater mix contain calcium depending on the brand, levels vary.

www.live-plants.com sell a good amount of macros but most are out of season. I never purchased from them.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 AM   #65
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

Fantastic Mach! Thanks for the link... I had caulerpa years ago. Don't think anything grows as fast as that!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #66
Koi Kameon
Planted Member

horned nerites do great at 1.005. Don't know about above that. The larger nerites would probably wipe out your algae needed for the shrimp. Japanese moss balls, nanas, java ferns, all the mosses do well at that sp. gravity too. Above that, I think it's Japanese moss balls up to about 1.010 and java fern up to about that. You could always try the others and see. I've had willow moss and the moss balls do fine at 1.008.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #67
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

Thanks Koi, my tank is in the 1.012 and 1.014 range.

I'm thinking of sticking to the pair of MTS and macro algae at this point. I do have a small java fern in the tank, watching it closely, though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #68
Koi Kameon
Planted Member

Default HRS>freshwater ends in massacre

Yep, it's pretty easy, just plop them into fresh water and they live. There's no need for acclimating them, at least in my experience.[/QUOTE]

Uh, no not for me this week. I had spent 2 mos. acclimating them from 1.005 sp (same as my brackish crab) and got it down to 1.002. I wanted to keep them in the container that I have a couple of newbie blue jellies in. I figured with the proper back and forth of adding water from each container into a separate container and then gently scooping them out with a plastic spoon all should go well. I kept their container up for 48 hours in case of emergency. They seemed fine, so I took it down. Colors were good. They were feeding, etc. They all died between the night of 48 hours to 72 hours. At first I thought maybe the two jellies had gone rogue, but no, I saw the last of the HRS die right in front of me. Good coloring, swimming around as I am removing dead shrimp parts and suddenly he is on the floor in a u-shape unable to move his back legs which quickly progressed to his front. It really saddened me as I had had my HRS for years.

I don't think you can move them down to freshwaterish and then put them in a different tank that is established and freshwater. Something was off, but it took several days to get them. I was leery of just moving them without acclimating them bc on some website somewhere, a guy in HI had bought some at a store not realizing they had been kept in brackish water there and he dropped them in his tank and they died in 24 hours.

Maybe mine were just too old to handle the adaptation. They could adapt to all kinds of brackish sp readings though...I would suggest someone lowering them to freshwater and then leaving them in that same tank and bringing the plants they want in to that tank, but since freshwater shrimp are so sensitive to salt, not more shrimp.

Maybe it was the almond leaf, although the container was still in the low 7's for pH....

I am going to be taking a break from them for a while. That was a bit of a shock.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #69
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi Kameon View Post
I am going to be taking a break from them for a while. That was a bit of a shock.
I'm sorry to hear that they didn't make it; that's awful.

I put a note on my earlier comment in case people decide to give this a go - just so that they know that while it went well for me it didn't for you.
jasonpatterson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.