Rescape time!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Fishbowling
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Rescape time!

Ok...so my daughter and I just moved into a new place about a month ago, and in the process had to take our tanks with us. We ended up moving the tanks twice, and I had to treat for ich between the moves, so that and (I guess) general moving stress took their toll on my flora (fish all came through just fine!). I lost a considerable amount of plant mass, so after I got over the initial loss I got busy thinking again.

Anyway, here's the 20 long the day we started hauling furniture out (my back aches just thinking about that weekend ):

What was left of all that alternanthera in the back right corner.

Finally cleaned up, and some new plants added:

And with the mopani wood hunks I found at Petsmart (on sale, no less...really starting to dig them for fish stuff). They soaked for the past three days before I put them in this morning, and I am really glad they did:

Also trimmed quite a few algae-encumbered leaves, to clean up the look even more. I havent seen this tank look this good in months.
Fishbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
VCrismore
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Very nice
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
pantherspawn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Looks good. Just a reminder that mopani will leach for an eternity.. I've had mine in my 55 for over two years and it still turns the water tea colored after a few weeks. I like the look, but some don't, so just be prepared.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
pantherspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

I like it, way to turn a crap situation (loosing your pretty plants) into a win
Love the addition of the wood too! Totally sets it off, it's just what the tank needed!

About Mopani, I have it in my tank. I only soaked mine a few hours, it leaked for about 3-4 weeks and it's been clear ever since.

If it starts to grow white fuzz, don't panic. It's harmless and usually happens to new wood. Or least from what I've read and my own experience I've found this true. It's ugly, but fades on it's own, just needs to run it's course.
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Fishbowling
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
I like it, way to turn a crap situation (loosing your pretty plants) into a win
Love the addition of the wood too! Totally sets it off, it's just what the tank needed!

About Mopani, I have it in my tank. I only soaked mine a few hours, it leaked for about 3-4 weeks and it's been clear ever since.

If it starts to grow white fuzz, don't panic. It's harmless and usually happens to new wood. Or least from what I've read and my own experience I've found this true. It's ugly, but fades on it's own, just needs to run it's course.
Thanks! I don't mind the stained water if that happens; I have a dirted guppy bowl that turned out that way on its own, and I love the look. And that was exactly the thought I had too...the wood adds a lot visually, way more than the rocks I was thinking about using (which aren't bad-looking, but wouldn't really have looked right).
Fishbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Purigen pulls tannins out of the water quite effectively. I have 4 or 5 pieces of mopani in my 55 along with two large pieces of malaysian DW and the water isn't stained. Every time I pull out the purigen to regenerate it, it's almost black.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote