Best looking bulb?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
maximusprime
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Best looking bulb?

I have a 36' 4xt5ho with the original el cheapo odyssea bulbs in it and I want to get some new ones. The 6500k bulbs that are in there give it ayellowish light that I dont like very much. 4 bulbs on at the same time is too much light, so I figure I have some extra slots to make a "viewing mode" for the times when I am around the house and the rest of the day, the plants get all the ugly yellow light they want. What would be the best bulbs strictly for viewing?
maximusprime is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

ge 6500 k / starcoat
ati purple plus
zoomed flora sun /geisemenn aquaflora
and a geisemann mid day

that would be my personal bulb selection
Old 07-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
ge 6500 k / starcoat
ati purple plus
zoomed flora sun /geisemenn aquaflora
and a geisemann mid day

that would be my personal bulb selection
Given that the aquafloras and middays produce a wonderful color balance on their own, I can vouch for those two bulbs having personally used them (they're still in use, too!). Purple will accentuate the more subtle tones of the aquarium, mostly deeper reds and purples (obviously). Not sure what the starcoat will do. Care to shed some light, HD?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Given that the aquafloras and middays produce a wonderful color balance on their own, I can vouch for those two bulbs having personally used them (they're still in use, too!). Purple will accentuate the more subtle tones of the aquarium, mostly deeper reds and purples (obviously). Not sure what the starcoat will do. Care to shed some light, HD?

those whites are geise mid days.. to a camera they look like starcoats would to ur eyes.. at least in that picture. in my old fixture the geiseman's looked green
the ati purple plus is probably the cleanest looking bulb when mixed with a white. it gives things a very natural look

a starcoat basically looks like a geisemann mid day but a little more blue and a lot less green

first tank shot is with two geiseman middays
2nd shot is with all 6 bulbs on.. this is when it was first set up.. it looks a little different today. but it gives u an idea the color difference you can get

3rd shot is a little more recent
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
maximusprime
Algae Grower

Now that's what I'm talking about. What a gorgeous tank. Pricing the geisemanns right now, but I'm thinking about a 10K bulb in place of the starcoat (mostly because the seller doesn't carry the GE's and i want to combine shipping).

How do you not have more algae with 6 bulbs?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Raising the light fixture decreases light intensity and even's out its spread so plants get an even amount of light as they grow upwards and outwards.
that being said i still have about 100 PAR at te substrate.. good reflectors help point the light downwards

and having good set co2, and clear maintenance routines help a lot

just remember the realyl vivid colored shots, its with all six bulbs on
instead of a 10 k.. look into a wavepoint bulb the red one.. its kinda purply. i had one of those too.. worked out really well in the 29 gallon
Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
maximusprime
Algae Grower

Well, they didn't have the wavepoint, so I went with the Geisemann aquapink instead. Hopefully that is close. It says it is for marine use but it brings out the blues, violets and reds. Would have bought from somewhere else, but 4 bulbs got me free shipping for all of them from the seller so it ended up being a good deal.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

share your experience!!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
maximusprime
Algae Grower

The bulbs came today!

The aqua pink and the purple power look almost identical, and two pink/purple bulbs proved to be way too pink. I replaced the aqua pink with one of the old bulbs and it looks a lot better. It will take some getting used to but I really like the combo, everything looks really.... how should I put it... HAPPY! The colors pop like easter eggs. Pretty cool. I'll post some before and after shots when the sun goes down.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
maximusprime
Algae Grower

Some before and after shots with the new bulb. Gonna have to get a better camera instead of my HTC Potato, but you can get an idea of the effect.

Before:

After:

Looks a million times better in person.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.