Is It possible to build a paludarium with a 6 gallon eclipse
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 01-16-2004, 10:01 PM   #1
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was wondering if it possible to build a paludarium with a 6 gallon eclipse without the light upgrade. im confused about how the land plants work. if thats not possible what about a 10 gallon with a 15watt? for the water plants. i will be using low lighters so i don't have to worry about that. i have no experience with land based plants. are the ones the same plants used for terrariums that they sell at the fish store? those tropical plants? or are they special plants. if i were to do this i would also be using most likely driftwood/ rocks to make the land. what do u think? i checked out that site about paludarium setup but it doesn't make much sense to me about the land plants.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Zurp
Planted Member

Land plants require less water submersion, and grow a lot slower. The plants they sell in fish stores, (Tropical plants) are the same exact plats that you see in any plant store/hardware store. Most of them are just younger versions. (MOST, not ALL)

I would falsely trust the pet-store plants more, as they might not have been cared for by saturating them with ammonia-nitrates which cause fast sprouting in hardware store plants. (Steroid fertilizing that makes even the worst plants thrive, giving the illusion that you are getting a good healthy plant. Most just die after this plant steroid bathing stops, when you take it home.)

If you have creatures roaming around on land, or if your land water runs into your water area, then you DON'T want to use these plants! You also don't want to use, "Store bought fertilizer sticks", that will cloud your water and possibly kill your creatures. (Amphibians and small fish usually.)

For all plants, you should do something like this...
1.) Buy the plant, or find the plant.
2.) Submerge the plant in water that is NOT TAP WATER. (Rain/Pond)
{This will help remove chemicals from the roots and leaves, and loosen the planted soil.}
3.) Two hours later, shake the plant lightly while submerged, to loosen and remove soil debris from roots.
4.) Transplant the plant to your terrarium with a good soil mixture for that plant.
{Soil should have a mixture of sphagnum moss, clay, sand, and a mild compost. NO NITRATE BALLS, those little styrofoam pellets.}
{To transplant, dig a small hole that is half the size of the width and depth of the roots, when spread out. Stuff the roots in the hole, and cover lightly with the soil from the hole.}

NOTE: This will stress the plant, this rapid PH and soil composition shift will bring the plant close to death... But it will survive. One to two months later, you plant should have all new growth, and you can trim the old (Toxic) growth away, and throw it out!

One more note... If you have several animals that may/will crush and trample your plants, then make a paper or plastic ring to go around your plant, and support its leaves until the roots develop, (One - two months). See illustration.
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan
I was wondering if it possible to build a paludarium with a 6 gallon eclipse without the light upgrade. im confused about how the land plants work. if thats not possible what about a 10 gallon with a 15watt? for the water plants. i will be using low lighters so i don't have to worry about that. i have no experience with land based plants. are the ones the same plants used for terrariums that they sell at the fish store? those tropical plants? or are they special plants. if i were to do this i would also be using most likely driftwood/ rocks to make the land. what do u think? i checked out that site about paludarium setup but it doesn't make much sense to me about the land plants.
I hope so! I've made an acrylic tank about the size of a 6g Eclipse - but I switched to a 19w 6500K CF bulb. Should be easy to retrofit if it becomes necessary.

Zurp - you've made some of the coolest little illustrations, haha.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:57 PM   #4
Zurp
Planted Member

Thanks, I am known for that... I am just glad that they have not yet set a limit on image capacity yet. (I almost have one GB of illustrations.) I really should place some on my server, but I am still working on my website.
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote