40 Breeder Rack - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

I want to chime in and thank everyone for this thread. i had been planning to build a rack, then go three tiers but the challenge was of course being a solo project with narrow stairs to be negotiated once built so this rack will certainly help circumvent many of my immediate challanges while recooping my time. Great info on this thread and through the referenced link on the catfish site. much obliged!
Al

Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #32
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I like that Lowe's rack. Fairly clean look. I will still do a diy stand for my (4) 40g breeders for the customizable factor. I was going to run (4) separate pumps but after reading this I will consider ditching the individual 10g sumps by using a 20g or 30g common sump for 2 tanks. It will definitely save on electricity. I plan to run my tanks primarily as aquascapes with perhaps a single species inhabitant setup so sharing water shouldn't be much of a problem now that I think about it. Plus by then I will have a quarantine tank running.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #33
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

How are the shelf supports attached to the uprights?

It looks like the fit is pretty great, I just tend to be a bit on the cautious side, and always overbuild my stands.
lochaber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #34
dwall174
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0live View Post
My plan is to get one of the 72x36x18 racks from lowes and set it up like a workbench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0live View Post
Like a glove

Attachment 168697
Thanks for the info.
I recently tore down my saltwater set-up & I'm looking to set-up a planted tank system.

Doug
dwall174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #35
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I forgot to ask but mentioning the Petco $1 sale, its not going on right now is it. If not, does anyone know when the next one is coming. I would love to get (2) 30g breeders to run as sumps for my (4) 40g breeders rack.

I forgot to ask but mentioning the Petco $1 sale, its not going on right now is it. If not, does anyone know when the next one is coming. I would love to get (2) 30g breeders to run as sumps for my (4) 40g breeders rack.

Based on space, I would consider that Lowes racking system if it were 7-8ft tall. I just viewed Lowe's web page and 6' is the tallest they come. 6' just doesn't seem like it allows a larger sump and having decent working spacing to access the tanks for me though. The link to the other person that did this setup looks very nice and clean but they are using HOBs so it fits well for that setup.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31

Tanks - low tech 29g
Old 07-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #36
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

The sale is going on currently. Get here while supplies last
Old 07-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #37
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

As far as the racks it's probably not enough space to fit 2-40s and then a 30 sump under it per rack but maybe if u did 2-40s per rack and the sump right next to the rack?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #38
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

This rack isn't for everyone, but it works fine for my space/needs when built as two separate racks. I'm 5'6" and would like to avoid having to use a step stool to access a tank.

I believe there are other versions that are 96" tall, but I'm not certain. I had no use for something that tall so I didn't research it.

This week I'll be working on picking out lights and filling in substrate. Thinking about DSM.. Maybe. Not even sure what will live in this tank yet. Hopefully something that will eat my shrimp culls.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #39
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
The sale is going on currently. Get here while supplies last
Sweet, thanks. I called myself looking online and usually I get some type of answer thru random forums. I will call a few petco's right now. How long has the sale been going on.

I am fine with a diy stand. That lowes stand just looks like a space saver thoguh. My diy stand will just be a bit bulkier for I need an 8ft stand to get that sump area and have decent workable area above the tank. I am 6'3 so I can reach the top until maintenance time, lol.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31

Tanks - low tech 29g
Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #40
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Never mind on the end date. I just called one of the petco's and the sale is good until the 27th. I think I will just get 2 more 40g breeders and run (2) 40g breeder displays from (1) 40g sump.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31

Tanks - low tech 29g
Old 07-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #41
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Awesome. Pictures pictures pictures
Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #42
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

0live, any photos of the completed rack? i picked up the same rack today though i wasnt expecting to pay the 80ish dollars but its pretty top notch for what it is.

I'd like to see how your shelves were spaced out. thx
Old 07-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #43
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
0live, any photos of the completed rack? i picked up the same rack today though i wasnt expecting to pay the 80ish dollars but its pretty top notch for what it is.

I'd like to see how your shelves were spaced out. thx
I don't yet, as I only picked up 1 40 so far (I have a tiny car)

My plan is to to the bottom shelf as low as possible and then another at the top. I'll need 4 shelves for the tanks but I planned on using the spare runners for suspending lights.

I'll get photos ASAP. Gonna try to grab another tank tonight.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #44
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

thanks 0. I picked up two tanks yesterday and the stand today... putting the cart infront of the horse...

probably looking towards keeping the tanks relatively low and accessible while possibly putting a small cube on the top tier for some small mosses. The other option was also to erect have the stand to support both tanks, then use the second half ot he stand adjacent/sidebyside to support other tanks and stuff...

I'd offer to lend a hand if we were closer as I had friends help me with my tanks. good luck

also, i noticed now thin the legs on the stand were and picked up a few wood planks to place beneath all four corners. these are going in my basement with 2" tiles and i would not like to see any of those crack under the focused weight of the stand. I had done this before with my 55g stand just to spread the downward weight across two wide planks. It may be advisable to do the same if the stand were going to be sitting on bare hardwood too.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #45
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I picked up my 2 40g breeders and got'em home to sit for awhile, lol. However they aren't Aqueons they are Tetra's that use 3/16" glass versus Aqueon's 1/4", but for sumps it doesn't matter.

I also visited Lowes to check out those racks. The look pretty good in person. The bolts are all tucked away nice and neat. However they only come in 72" max height if anyone wanted to know.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31

Tanks - low tech 29g