Couple of Powerhead questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
GriffinB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Couple of Powerhead questions

Setting up my new 90g standard. I made a DIY co2 diffuser using the gravel vacuum head method. Seen it working in a 150g so this is what I am going to use for the time being. Looking at the RIO pump for my diffuser...it has 80GPH flow. My question is should I get something with a little more umph, or do I want a slower push into the diffuser to give it more time to chop of the bubbles and slowly push them through the filter on the bottom? Its about 6 inches long so let me know what you think.

My next question is concerning my UV sterilizer. My thought was to put it next to or close to the diffuser to push the co2 across the tank. UV sterilizer don't mess with co2 right? My thought is no but I just want to make sure.

Sorry if these are dumb question...wanna do it right.
Thanks.
Griffin
GriffinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would use the smaller pump as part of the actual diffuser system, but maybe add more water circulation nearby. When the water (rich with CO2) comes out of the diffuser it may need some help to fully circulate in your large tank.
The UV might help with this, but I would not put the intake very close to the CO2 enriched water. Put the outlet nearby to enhance the circulation.

Think of all the pumps (power heads, filters, UV...) in your tank.
Make sure they all help each other, all flow in the same direction. If you have one that is aimed against another all you are creating is turbulence, no a good flow.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote