Shrimp Supplies - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #16
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

Several of us allow the poop to settle and don't disturb it except on rare occasions. Why? It can cause a mini cycle.

Now the neat thing about TDS is that if you can find your shrimp "sweet spot", the breeding will be much more successful.
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I am hoping for 300 TDS. I think the neos will be happy and I might be able to add another to the mix. Preferably a Tiger.
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I think the best way to lower your TDS from that level is to do a large water change. Not sure if the tanks in question have inhabitants, but I would do a 80-90% water change with RO water + minerals and/or mix of tap. You'll definitely lower it to the 200-300 mark, I think.

Then in ~ a week, you TDS should creep up to the upper 200's to around 300, and you do a water change to keep it between your desired levels.

For example, I try to keep my TDS for my CRS between 150-200. When it creeps over 200, after about a week, I do a water change to bring it back down to ~175. When I moved my 20G Long over to my shrimp rack, I HAD to drain 98% (I had my CRS in tank still, so I left a little water in) and put back ~40% of the old water, and the rest was fresh RO + minerals to reach a GH of 5. My TDS before this rack switch was 175-200. Now it's at 150-180ish. GH is still at 4-6 so I don't mind a lower TDS. AND no loss of CRS But if you have no inhabitants, it would be much easier to deal with as you get to test out techniques, parameters, etc. that will suite you best
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #19
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! I am working on lower the TDS and I am fighting a Bacterial infection in my tanks. Thank you guys so much
Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

Oceangirl: Any updates? How are things going with lowering the TDS and such?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

I haven't been testing the TDS much but once per day. Tank 1 is TDS 330, Tank 2 is TDS 350 as well. I did a large water change and have been fighting a bacterial infection in them. I am due for water changes on Sunday. Tank 2, I added 3 small pieces of driftwood for the tannins at Soothing Suggestion. IT WORKS!! Most have the infection healing, and are on the mend I hope. I am treating 3 tanks at the moment.I found a great place to get bottled water (RO) The dollar store! I have to put my mystery snails somewhere for my last tanks treatment of General Cure. Can't worry about the MTS though, too many to try to dig out. I know they are tough though, I accidentally bleached some once.

Last edited by Oceangirl; 07-12-2013 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: add
Old 12-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

Okay, now I have moved.
This is the old tap water specs
TDS 350 ish
Ph 7.5
Nrate 0
Gh/Kh-So high I maxed out the test!

New water/tap parameters
Gh 4
Kh 2
Ph 6.6
Nrates 0
TDS 45 !

Talk about a complete change.

Current fish/Shrimp or on the way shrimp
Blue Pearls
Chocolate Neos
Yellows
Celestial pearl danios

Can my shrimp adapt? Should I get a remineralizer? Can I supplement with Calcium pills, I take calcium myself and have some on hand till I get a remineralizer?
Is there a reminerlizer that will raise TDS gh/kh?

Oh yeah, I dripped in the new water over the course of 3 days, to make sure everyone got used to the water.

Spec on all the tanks
5 or 10 gallons with Dual Sponge filters, Tahitian black moon sand, couple pieces of driftwood and Stuffed with moss and Java ferns.

Last edited by Oceangirl; 12-18-2013 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: add
Old 12-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #23
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'd get a remineralizer, shrimp need more than just Calcium, they also need magnesium which can be added with epsom salts, also other trace elements like copper (yeah it kills them but their blood is copper based and they also need it) not sure of all the different minerals they need. A remineralizer will at least make sure they are getting the right stuff, with your TDS being so low I'd do it just to be on the safe side. Unless you know what's in your tap.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #24
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

The new parameters are the new tap water. Its labeled now. I did a little quick search, on shrimpery.com, Shrimp keeping.com and the values are within that range. In your experience should the values be higher? Lower?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

Do you think Kent RO right might be okay for a remineralizer? I just need to raise TDS. In your experience do you think I need to adjust the GH and KH?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #26
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i used tap with my tigers. i would have my red tigers berry every month but never any babies untill i took them out of the low ph and put them in the 7-7.2 ph then they breed. my gh and kh were the same in all my tanks and to be honest i never messed with tds untill right before i moved. i had oebt and red tigers for quite a while with out knowing what the tds is
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #27
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

My TDS out of the tap is only 45. I think its a little low. I never really wanted to mess, but now that I have moved and my water has changed I am worried about molting issues and TDS.

New water/tap parameters

Gh 4
Kh 2
Ph 6.6
Nrates 0
TDS 45

I have access to some RO water, Just wondering if I should raise the TDS. before adding it or Will the TDS build up and stay stable with water changes.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

yeah you might want to up the tds some if nothing else try some cuttle bone. i got mine from walmart in the bird sections for less than $3. i would just break a peace off and toss it into the tank and the shrimp pick at it
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

Good. I live 1/2 block from a walmart. I plan on getting one shrimp food too. I am just getting some more supplies for them.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:17 AM   #30
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

I saw Salty shrimp had Gh+ KH+ and Salty Shrimp Gh+ , But I was unsure of which one to get. Which one do I get? I have skimmed a few thread that talk of using pure RO water and using the Salty shrimp Gh+, but no the Salty Shrimp GH+ Kh+. Why use one and not the other. I know it depends on the species of shrimp, but why 2 different ones?

Last edited by Oceangirl; 01-02-2014 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: ad