10 gallon tank idea
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Evilmonkey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 gallon tank idea

I have a 10 gallon tank that has a filter and air stone in it. I want to remove both and have only light. I also want to add water lettece on top. I have alot of guppies and want to be sure I don't deplete the o2. Does this sound like this will work. Also there is anubias and a few other plants on the bottom
Evilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
NebelGeīst
Algae Grower

Hello,

without filter and without air stone I would recommend to use at least a mini oxydator (if it is avaiable overseas), which provides oxigene and oxidices nitrite to nitrate.

(I“m sorry for my poor English, as you can see, I“m not a native speaker)
NebelGeīst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (420/100%)

If you only have a few slow-growing plants like Anubias, you won't be able to go filterless with "alot(sic) of guppies".

You'll either need to keep your filtration system to process their waste or heavily, heavily plant the tank.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If you only have a few slow-growing plants like Anubias, you won't be able to go filterless with "alot(sic) of guppies".

You'll either need to keep your filtration system to process their waste or heavily, heavily plant the tank.
Agreed. With a no-filter setup you need to understock fish. You'll have to take some out to do that. And plant heavily with fast-growing stem plants.

Who is the manufacturer of the light bulb, and is it a T8 (printed on bulb) I'm wndering if you're going to have enough light to drive the photosynthesis of the stem plants. I bought an Aqueon canopy for my 10g tank and had to replace the bulb because it was too weak. You can buy a replacement at the LFS or a home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowe's.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Evilmonkey
Algae Grower

I have 2 25 watt screw in aquarium bulbs from Walmart. I will have to get alot more plants. I think I have enough light for a stem plant. I have some smaller amazon swords in another tank. I am considering moving a couple of those. I do have it over stocked right now. I am gonna give some away and see if I can bring the population back down.
Evilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote