BGA Removal Tool
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-15-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was feeling creative when it came to dealing with a recent BGA infestation in my tank, and came up with what I think is a good design for a BGA vaccuum cleaner.

First I removed the syphon end off my Python to have access to the clear tube that attaches to the sink. Next I found an adapter that takes that diameter hose down to airline tubing diameter. I used a Hagen test kit pipette (the plastic one), and cut off the top (the plastic bulb that you would normally use to suck the water out and put into the test tube) so it is open on both ends. Now I used this adapter to attach my tubing to the open end of the Python.

I added a piece of hard airline tubing so the whole thing can be wielded around the tank, and at the end I used about a 1 inch piece of silicone air tubing, that is sliced at the end to make it frilly. I cut about 10 1/2 inch slices at the end of this piece, and attached the un-frilled piece to the hard airline tubing.

When the water is turned on, the suction through the end is huge, and it is very easy to remove huge chunks of BGA off any plant without damaging it.

Works like a charm.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Pretty cool concept. I suppose I should be grateful that I have no use for it currently!
Old 01-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

The frilled end is a great idea. I used a similar concept to get snails out of my tank, but without the frilled end, I managed to "plobbb" holes into the broad leaved plants :evil:
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks guys!

The one thing I forgot to metion in my original post, is that this is very good for using at or near the surface, since the siphon does not break, as it is vaccuum driven.

GCA - Lucky...mine is on the decline, and it always only happens in one part of the tank.