to little or to much?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
They Call Me Ryan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

to little or to much?

iv got a 90g 48x18x24. i have flourite substrate and two 48" Glo dual HO T5 ballasts. i currenty have 3 fluval T5 HO 6700k Bulbs and have space for one more bulb. i was thinking of using some other temp bulb that will bring the color out in the fishes (once i get them) and not a plant bulb unless i dont have enough light then i will get another 6700k bulb. what do you guys/gals think?

i also have a premo pressurized co2 kit coming from green leaf aquariums with the -75mm atomic diffuser, Cal Aqua Labs' "PEARL" series drop checker and a 10lb tank. im new to planted tanks and completley new to co2. i have done alot or reading the last few days and think i have the just of things but would like to hear what your guys thoughts and ideas are for me.

currently the tank is not cycled and has one xxl piece of drift wood and a few plants. my filter is a fluval 406 canister and i will be purchasing another canister some time in the future. how many hrs a day should i be running my lights? curently im running them 6hrs a day but was told by my lfs to run between 8-10hrs a day. im really weary of running the lights that much before i get the co2 system installed. also i havent researched to much on ferts can anyone give me some info on how to use ferts, do i need to use them? basically i need all the info i can get lol. i want to have a healthy looking planted tank that i dont need to monitor 24/7 just enough co2 and light to grow moss and grass like plants but not so much that as soon as i turn a blind eye the algea takes over. thanks in advance!
They Call Me Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
They Call Me Ryan
Algae Grower

No one eh? Is this forum dead? Is there some other planted forum thats more active that i can use? Thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
morelight
Algae Grower

you only posted yesterday at 9:01pm. Got to give it some time because the answers are well thought out before posting on this forum. Best Aquarium forum i know of. I'd give you an answer, but it would only be a guess, but i'd say you have plenty of light.
morelight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
meppitech
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

You should be good with 4 bulbs AND co2. I have a 55 with half your lighting setup. Just space them out to space the lighting more evenly. What is the depth of your tank? I would dose the EI method. Also plant as heavy as you want and dose ferts as soon as you have the co2 setup and planted.
meppitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

This is a big one, but slow because of the holidays.

Here is some reading for you:
Light info:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
generally sounds like you have a good bit of light, and you can run a different color bulb in that last slot if you want

Moss usually doesn't need much light, and the 'grass like plants' depends on if you want a short 'lawn' on the ground or long, tall stuff. Generally short & carpet/lawn needs the most light/co2/attention

Co2: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107312

Ferts:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944
Old 07-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

You have to give the forum time to respond there buddy. This forum is very active. Prior to posting you can use the search feature to help out though. More times than not you can find a thread(s) on the topic and avoid some questions you may have. You also stated yourself that you didn't do much researching. One thing this hobby requires is researching. Some situations can't be duplicated exactly for every tank. There is a trial and error to some of the situations. As far as planted tank forums, I agree that this is probably the best that is geared just to the topic of planted tanks.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

We are sorry but the Instant Help Desk is currently closed.

Please leave your name, telephone and credit card numbers and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Thank you and have a nice day!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
They Call Me Ryan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meppitech View Post
You should be good with 4 bulbs AND co2. I have a 55 with half your lighting setup. Just space them out to space the lighting more evenly. What is the depth of your tank? I would dose the EI method. Also plant as heavy as you want and dose ferts as soon as you have the co2 setup and planted.
my tanks 24" high and i have one light near the back and one near the front of the tank and a fairly large piece of drift wood offset in the middle that almost reaches the top of the tank. is my 6hr photo period enough for now? should i change it when i get the co2 setup next week? i was thinking about getting some kind of moonlighting but i havent looked into it much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
This is a big one, but slow because of the holidays.

Here is some reading for you:
Light info:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
generally sounds like you have a good bit of light, and you can run a different color bulb in that last slot if you want

Moss usually doesn't need much light, and the 'grass like plants' depends on if you want a short 'lawn' on the ground or long, tall stuff. Generally short & carpet/lawn needs the most light/co2/attention

Co2: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107312

Ferts:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944
wow thanks man, thats one hell of a read. it will give me something to do tomorrow. iv been researching the co2 setup for a couple of months now, its the ferts im not to sure on. im in no way affiliated with with GLA so sorry for plugging the site again but orlando was so helpful when i was purchasing my co2 system and all my questions that i would like to buy ferts from his site aswell. what would i need to get started? http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

and we all know forum search engines are not the greatest. i did not mean to offend anyone i was simply asking if it was an active forum since there are so many fish forums out there, its hit or miss. the people on here seem to be extremley knowlegable and i have found a ton of useful info from this forum through my google searches.

and trust me i do my research, its one of the many things i love about this hobby and about the only thing i use my computer for . if im not messing with my tank im online reading about fish realted things

just thought i would start a thread with all my own noobish questions while i sift through the thousands of other peoples questions thats all. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.