Full Co2 system Failure
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Full Co2 system Failure

New Question

After realizing my old solenoid was the point of failure I bought a new clippard EV-2M-24 VDC. I know it needs a 24v DC power adapter but I don't know what the solenoid's exact requirements are. I bought a 24vdc 350mA adapter and the solenoid didn't work. What exactly do I need?
Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am getting ready to set up my next tank so I have been working on my co2 regulator.

1st problem: When I un-plug the solenoid (EVO-3M-12 VDC with extra port plugged) the co2 keeps coming out of the bubble counter even after a few minutes, it doesn't stop. But when I plug and un-plug the solenoid I can hear it open and close.

2. I then close the valve on the co2 bottle and it continues to bubble

3. If I decrease the pressure to zero on the regulator it will eventually stop but it takes too long.

4. The only thing that effectively stops the co2 is the Swagelok needle valve when closed.

The needle valve appears to be the only thing that is working. What should I do? Or where should I start?

Here is a picture of it. I have not been using that airline tubing, that was just when I wanted to see if it worked. Since I have been using pressure tubing.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by karatekid14; 08-29-2013 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: New Question
karatekid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

Regardless of anything else the solenoid should stop the flow. So, that's your point of failure.

If you have ever dismanteled that solenoid you will be lucky for it to work ever again.

Another possibility is something got inside preventing the closure. Plug it in, increase WP to ~60psi and see if it will clear it up (removing needle valve prior is a good idea).

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
isellcars
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

You need to replace the solenoid. That's the problem I am having as well.
isellcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Depending on where the solenoid is in the chain, this could actually be normal behavior. If the solenoid is before the needle valve, then when the solenoid closes, you will still have pressure in the segment between the NV and the Sol, which will continue to bleed off until you reach 0 PSI. This means that you will still see bubbles until that pressure bleeds off.
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I knew the solenoid was broken (I had tried the high pressure thing) but what I find odd is that the shut off valve on the co2 tank doesn't really shut the flow off. As for the solenoid I have found some new ones for about $20 shipped. Hopefully that can solve my problems.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post
but what I find odd is that the shut off valve on the co2 tank doesn't really shut the flow off.
That's because there's still residual pressure after the valve. Untill it bleeds down, you will continue to see flow.

A very high pressure on one side, very low on the other, and a relatively low flow rate means you could see flow for quite a while after the source is shut off.
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

^ Stitch is right, it all depends where you close the Co2. It doesn't stop right away because you close the cylinder or the solenoid, you will have pressure remaining until it bleed out.

What you want to look out for is the rate of flow. If you shut off your solenoid, the rate of flow slow decrease until it completely stops.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump
New Question

After realizing my old solenoid was the point of failure I bought a new clippard EV-2M-24 VDC. I know it needs a 24v DC power adapter but I don't know what the solenoid's exact requirements are. I bought a 24vdc 350mA adapter and the solenoid didn't work. What exactly do I need?
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post
Bump
New Question

Thanks!
According to the specification sheet, the solenoid only draws 0.67 watts, so your adapter should be fine.

Are you sure you wired it correctly? How are you wiring it? If you are soldering, did you ensure that you have no cold joints? If you have a multimeter, I would suggest checking all your wiring.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

If you took the solenoid apart, you may also have put back together incorrectly.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oldpunk:
I bought a new solenoid, hence the new question, and I have not taken it apart. I do think that the reason the old one stopped working was because I took it apart.

Main Question: What exact Adapter do I need?

To check that the solenoid worked before soldering we attached the leads together with electrical tape and plugged it in. With my last solenoid you could hear a slight click when plugging it in, but this was silent. We tried attaching the other leads and it was still quiet. We then checked to see it power was even registering and it read zero. I think the adapter may be broken, but I don't want to buy the wrong thing again.

In the meantime I have been searching the internet for 24vdc power supplies, and it seems as though there are just as many bad reviews on them as good. Could someone direct me to a specific adapter please?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #12
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I don't think anyone can recommend you a specific ACDC adapter; they all work on the same principle, and there are many different models out there.

Have you tested the two leads off of the 24VDC adapter to see if it is actually registering 24V?

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

If you got the same solenoid, the round part just screws into the manifold. You shouldn't need an adapter.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote