Acquired a lovely Tillandsia and...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 07-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
SmittyInFla
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Acquired a lovely Tillandsia and...

Hi there!

I usually post in the drowned plants area of the forum...Yesterday, I received a beautiful windfall (literally!) Tillandsia, and some resurrection fern.

I am interested in mounting them on wood, behind and above my aquarium.

The resurrection fern came with some very spongy bark attached...Was actually growing on a cypress tree, not an oak.

I am pretty comfortable that the Tilly can be mounted on whatever wood I want...But down here, I ONLY see these ferns on oak or cypress trees. Does it matter what kind of natural wood they are mounted on? I know not to mount them on PT wood because of the copper.

Any hints would be most welcome. Pics below:

Our Motto: Making Mistakes, So You Don't Have To!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=348865

Link to my first planted tank, 37 gallon tall, topsoil, sand, Eco Complete
SmittyInFla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyInFla View Post
Hi there!

I usually post in the drowned plants area of the forum...Yesterday, I received a beautiful windfall (literally!) Tillandsia, and some resurrection fern.

I am interested in mounting them on wood, behind and above my aquarium.

The resurrection fern came with some very spongy bark attached...Was actually growing on a cypress tree, not an oak.

I am pretty comfortable that the Tilly can be mounted on whatever wood I want...But down here, I ONLY see these ferns on oak or cypress trees. Does it matter what kind of natural wood they are mounted on? I know not to mount them on PT wood because of the copper.

Any hints would be most welcome.

Resurrection fern grows on oak trees in areas where I reside. Oak is probably a very good choice as a mounting option (hardwood that is eay to come by). I was pleasantly pleased with your mention of pressure treated wood. Have known a few people to lose many plants in their greenhouses from copper leaching out of pressure treated lumber, over the course of time. You are on the right track about mounting tillies. Because pine trees grow all around me, I use pine bark slabs for a lot of my tillandsia mounts. Works out well for my applications.

wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
SmittyInFla
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ahh! Pine bark slabs are a great idea...That way, I can mount it, and mount the bark flat to the wall. Thanks!

Our Motto: Making Mistakes, So You Don't Have To!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=348865

Link to my first planted tank, 37 gallon tall, topsoil, sand, Eco Complete
SmittyInFla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.