efficient co2 reactors for larger tanks - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #46
isellcars
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Drop checker.....GLA has a really good one that has a reference checker as well as the co2 checker. Works great.
Go with at least a 4" diameter and no smaller than 24" a 36" would be much better.
isellcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #47
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Maybe i missed it, but are you injecting the co2 into the reactor? i assume this is the case, i found it much more efficient to inject the co2 into the return pump, the co2 gets chopped up before entering the reactor and the turbulence helps it dissolve quicker. Im afraid you might struggle though with the cerges, it simply doesn't have the volume needed to dissolve the amount of co2, especially once you get to 30 ppm of co2, it takes much longer for the co2 to dissolve, and you end up with a reactor just full of air, and wasting a bunch of co2. But, try chopping the co2 with the pump and see if that helps.
I would really recommend building a rex style, i think the pvc parts are about 15 bucks, definitely worth a shot! Build it as high as you can, run the co2 into the return pump so it gets chopped up, the larger volume prevents co2 from escaping and being wasted. Another little trick is use a long tube that goes from the return pump to the reactor, maybe a 6 foot tube you can coil up, this gives the co2 thats chopped up more suspension time before hitting the reactor.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #48
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

that will be this weekends project for sure. I have a DC in there. I own another of the same size that I'll maybe toss in, have one at each end. I've bumped the co2 up a lot, now you can hear gurgling in the reactor.

waiting on the new video to upload.

i'm absolutely blown away at the silence, it's like having a canister hooked up.

I need to break down the sump and redo it though. i foolishly though 1/8" thick acrylic would hold. it did not. a buddy supplied me with 1/2" thick cut to my needs. so maybe those will go in this weekend as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
Maybe i missed it, but are you injecting the co2 into the reactor? i assume this is the case, i found it much more efficient to inject the co2 into the return pump, the co2 gets chopped up before entering the reactor and the turbulence helps it dissolve quicker. Im afraid you might struggle though with the cerges, it simply doesn't have the volume needed to dissolve the amount of co2, especially once you get to 30 ppm of co2, it takes much longer for the co2 to dissolve, and you end up with a reactor just full of air, and wasting a bunch of co2. But, try chopping the co2 with the pump and see if that helps.
I would really recommend building a rex style, i think the pvc parts are about 15 bucks, definitely worth a shot! Build it as high as you can, run the co2 into the return pump so it gets chopped up, the larger volume prevents co2 from escaping and being wasted.
will do. need more co2 hose though :/ I'll probably build at least 36" of rex griggs reactor. I suppose I should use hose to it, which i think I should be good with actually. I'm going to be so excited when this all falls into place.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #49
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

ill try and grab a pic of my 75 reactor when i used it.. but to give u and idea. its 15 inches.
it has a 3 inch tube and two reducers on each end to go from 3-1.5 - 1 inch tubing. on the inside it has a 45 angle on the input side that swirls the water so it doesnt just become a straight shot. worked really well..

another thing that works well is a pressure difference outlet. probably the most efficient outlet i ever had, it just couldnt supply the flow in the tank i needed.
the outlet tubing went from 3/4 to 1 to 1.5 then had a sweeping 90 and the another 90 at 1.5 the mist comming out of it was absolutely tiny and my ph change due to co2 was very very rapid.. co2 was fed into the pump as it still is now
Old 07-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #50
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

i don't think i'll have any more concerns.

I turned down the co2 rate considerably before heading out for some 4th of july shenanigans. come back to my drop checker a nice shade of yellow. I've since turned it down even more to see if it will hold, or green up a wee bit, within the next couple hours.

I was greatly underestimating the amount of gas off that would occur with the sump system running a durso standpipe. Having converted it to the herbie style the system has since become silent AND efficiently holds co2!

This weekend I'll fix the sump baffles itself as they're just peeling away due to deflection.

but freakin' score.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #51
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
i don't think i'll have any more concerns.

I turned down the co2 rate considerably before heading out for some 4th of july shenanigans. come back to my drop checker a nice shade of yellow. I've since turned it down even more to see if it will hold, or green up a wee bit, within the next couple hours.

I was greatly underestimating the amount of gas off that would occur with the sump system running a durso standpipe. Having converted it to the herbie style the system has since become silent AND efficiently holds co2!

This weekend I'll fix the sump baffles itself as they're just peeling away due to deflection.

but freakin' score.

Cool Beans!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #52
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Glad your system is working now and as they say... "silence is golden"

:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #53
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

yeah, and while I won't be counting bubbles, i've been able to really reduce the flow rate too. the DC was reading yellow last night around 10:30. When the lights went on at 2pm it was still green with some hint of blue.

I'll still look into building a larger reactor if only to cut out the bubbles. I posted some new pics over on the tank journal, linked in my sig. I was going to put off getting fish for another week, but the LFS had some five banded barbs and I was planning on getting them anyway... soooo
Old 09-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #54
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Looks like a nice set up to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
pic is slightly older than co2 being hooked up. I have it tapped into the pvc tube going into the reactor itself. so right after the threaded joint.

The sump is also drilled in the side, but would require reducing to a 1" instead of the 1.25" piping. I found the reduction was way too noisy!

it does bubble in the overflow, though not terribly. I do know that this is a major point of degassing of the co2. But i think a bigger reason for the drop checker not changing is the massive amounts of bubbles. I think the flow is too much to have them break down enough.

I was really hoping to seal the sump, and it is still a possibility. I'd just have to make some cuts to go around the piping, and probably use some weather seal or something around the holes.

that doesnt really matter though, because the vertical pipes you see at the T's allow air that the durso brings in, to escape.

here are older pics:

there isn't much splashing, fortunately. and the water degassing occurs in the sump, not the main tank. so the main tank should still have enough co2.
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote