Filterless Endler Bawdy House?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
mojofunk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Filterless Endler Bawdy House?

Hi all!

So I had planned to do a filterless Walstad style tank, with plants and snails and perhaps eventually shrimp. But whilst purchasing duckweed I suddenly and inadvertently found myself with a male and female Endlers Livebearer pair, and now have (at least) 4 fry.

Its a 15 gallon tank with a MGOCPM capped with fine gravel substrate, heavily planted. I have a heater and an airstone, and I use Seachem Prime. The tank is new, and sadly it's not yet cycled (it was not supposed to have fishies yet).

I am quite prepared to do many water changes while the cycle completes, and the Prime undeniably improves the Endlers comfort, but this is certainly not how I'd hoped to do this.

I wonder what people think about the possibility of remaining filterless with fish as prolific (horny?) as Endlers - I assume I'll have a billion by winter. I have lots of plants, some large driftwood, and medium sized (quartz encrusted!) porous rocks. Will these provide enough surface area to sustain the BB necessary to maintain an Endlers colony?

I am excited to be part of this kind and knowledgeable community, and look forward to learning from everyones experience. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Studio-54.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	160737  

Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
scotty b
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

just keep a eye on ammonia , the plants should be happy to "eat" all the ammonia the endlers produce once they establish but until then it may be something to worry about
scotty b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
mojofunk
Algae Grower

Thanks! I have the API test kit, and a Seachem Ammonia Alert gizmo. I hear that using Prime gives false results for ammonia with the API kit, but the fish and their behavior reflect the tank conditions clearly. Due to a false start (anaerobic volcanoes!) everything is new, and I worry for the fry . . . they are sooo tiny!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I would throw a sponge filter in there at least (you won't need the air stone with that running). The only reason I say this is because that female will release a few babies every couple of days, and you will be overrun in no time. Trust me, i speak from experience. Endler females don't release all the fry in one shot.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I am going to add this. Endlers are live bearers and are notoriously cannibalistic when it comes to the young. As sad as that is, it should provide some population control. Good luck.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
mojofunk
Algae Grower

I do have a sponge filter that I could use, your advices sound good - I think I will go with it!

So far the adults have ignored the fry, although some of them like to follow around the male while he forages on the substrate. Thats a role reversal - he's been following the female around since he was a juvenille, now he's the teacher!

What do most folks do when they're maxxed out on endlers? Sell or give them to LFS? Get a predator? It seems like it could get crazy fast. I likely would not have chosen livebearers, but since they materialized I have found them to exhibit terrific personalities, exploring everywhere in the tank and responding readily to all around them. I like 'em!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have to respectfully disagree with cableguy. I have never seen any aggression towards fry in my tank. Maybe it's a case by case basis, but my fry survive without being hassled by the adults. My population has done nothing but grow, rapidly, for over a year.

I usually sell or trade my endlers. You have to have a pure strain to garner interest. I have pure black bar endlers that show great colors, and people in my area know me so they are always asking
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
PaulG
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you'll be ok with that many plants going filterless.

Plus that way you can add it to my thread

Got a tank? Doing it filterless? Add it here!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=221729
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
FISHYANDY
Algae Grower

I would try and sell them or give them away or set up a pond like i did with with my Sword tails i cover them up in the winter and add a heater and their number are kept down
FISHYANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
sourgrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

My endlers are not cannibalistic either so I wouldn't rely on the adults for population control. You should be fine filterless as long as you're keeping a consistent eye on your water params.

Tags
endlers, filterless, livebearers, soil