12 Gallon Reboot Learning Experience - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #46
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
That a beast of a 12 gallon Edge tank. Reminds me the time when I used to take care of my 12's, she a low tech now.

Anyways, you can reduce that regulator's size with two SS fittings. It will look much cleaner and reduce the chances of leaks. But it does require you to take off the LP gauge, :S

1/4 M - 1/8 M - Solenoids - Elbow 1/8 all male, done.
It is a beast, and it's too much work for how hard it is to access. And it really sucks that I have to flip up the light to work on it, so then I can't even see what I'm doing.

I know the CO2 setup could be cleaner, but I'm not touching the reg. I had several pieces of SS cease (basically galling) together and ruin parts. I ruined the needle valve (replaced it), I ruined 2 excellent little SS fittings, and I ruined a beautiful little SS burkert solenoid.

Even when I removed a part that came installed on the low pressure side, it was ceased. I don't know why it was so much trouble for me (even fittings I didn't put together), but now that it's working, I'm not risking ruining anything.

On Thursday my new 24" Finnex Ray 2 showed up. I set it on top of my Edge and was blown away by the output. The PC I have on it is quite a bit brighter than the LEDs that came with it, but the Finnex absolutely blows it out of the water. It's amazingly bright. I can't wait for my new tank to show up.

The pics below are both shot at the exact same ISO, aperture, and shutter speed, so they show the actual difference in light out put between the Ray 2 and my 27 watt power compact:

AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #47
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

With a new tank on the way, I really need my aquasoil out of this tank. However, I also need to keep all of my plants, fish, and shrimp alive while I get the other setup going, and this is my only other tank. So...

I did a full tear down. Then I removed all of the aquasoil, rinsed it, and set it out on screens to dry in the garage. Meanwhile, I decided I may as well have a little fun with this since I'll probably have to keep it running for 1-2 more months while I DSM the new tank.

I picked up some miracle gro organic choice potting mix, sifted out all the junik, and capped it some pool filter sand for cheap. I came up with the little scape below on the fly. Up on the rock mound there is rotola, blyxia, and downoi. In front of the drift wood is bocopa. Lower right carpet is marsilea quadrifolia. Stuffed into the rock pile is anubias nana petite, and down in front of the rock pile is s.repens (which is new). Along the back of everything is jungle val. This gives my critters a nice home until I get the new tank completely ready for them.

I actually think it turned out pretty good for a quick one evening rescape with no plan. The water is still cloudy from the sand and I'm monitoring for a mini cycle. That said, it's been up for 48 hours now, and no ammonia. It all went pretty well.

The fish are definitely happy with it. They aren't hiding or anything and are swimming all over and showing their colors well.

Last edited by AnotherHobby; 06-19-2013 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #48
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

So this tank is now becoming a jungle as I am collecting all of the plants I need for my new project. I wasn't really going for anything here I'm just trying to keep the plants in groups for repurposing, but it's starting to look pretty cool.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #49
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Two days ago, it dawned on me that I still like this tank, and just because it sucks for high tech doesn't mean it wouldn't still be fun for low light low tech. One of the significant issues with this tank is aquascaping through a 6.75" x 4.5" hole. You can't really fit any large, branchy, dramatic wood. But since it's low light, low tech, and will be lightly planted, I really want a substantial hardscape to set off what plants there will be.

While thinking about this, it suddenly clicked! I can use the same technique I did on my fallen tree build, except modify it to make it easy to install. I can only use one hand in the tank, so installing zip ties would be a nightmare. After a little abstract thinking, here is what I came up with. This will actually fit inside of an edge, and it's pre-zip-tied. All of the zip-ties go through holes drilled strategically in the manzanita wood so that their placement is relatively precise.

So here was the trick. The zip ties for the tall branches are loose right now, so I can lay them down flat. Then the thickness and width with he egg crate structure is just narrow and shallow enough to slip through the top hole of the Edge. Once it's in, the zip-ties are placed so that when I tighten them up the brances will stand up vertical again. I ran a dry run test and was easily able to assemble and tighten the structure with one hand. I think this should look pretty darn good in my Edge.

I figure I can put moss on the manzanita wood, and then start acquiring low light plants. I should have enough aquasoil left over from my other build to use that in here. That would give the plants all the nutrients they should need. That said, for this hardscape pool filter sand may look better, and then I could just use root tabs. Still undecided on that one.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #50
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Also, this tank get's emptied of all of it's plants in 2-3 weeks, so that's when this new build will start.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #51
Arklatex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thats pretty cool that you figured out how to get all that through the little hole on the edge. With the substrate in it may look like one big piece instead of several small ones.
Arklatex is offline   Reply With Quote