DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 115
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #1711
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Shrimpzone project 16 - CONCLUSION

I'm a-gonna finish the posts on this project if it killzme. Too lazy to draw another graphic, so I'll just close this project's posts with the final details.

Up until now, we have air input, air exit of conditioned air in the Shrimporium space. DK's been working on tweaking the balance, by adjusting two things. First the square inches of acrylic sheet diverter plate space, to adjust the proportion of zone air that goes into the Shrimporium versus the proportion of zone air that goes into the basement general zone. She has this balanced, finally, and due to the amazing heat load and insulated properties of the Shrimporium she ended up diverting a good 90% of the zone air into the Shrimporium. But now it's balanced.

To balance this extra VOLUME of air input, she then adjusted the amount of exposed secret opening up in the ceiling, to allow the same amount of air to easily flow across her secret space and back into the basement general zone. BTW, up in that false ceiling, she had to build a box-in for the airflow, so when it crossed the wall it didn't just pump up into plenum space. The air leaving the Shrimporium is forced down the waffle grid into the basement general room, and cannot go into the ceiling plenum space.

And now, we close with the piece de resistance. Thermostatic control of the Shrimporium.

What did DK do?

She took the thermostat/sensor that was located in the basement general room, re-routed the wiring up into the false ceiling, across the false ceiling, across her secret air portal into the Shrimporium, and down into the back wall of the Shrimporium (the wall farthest from the air handler). She then mounted the thermostat/sensor on this wall.

Now, the zone is controlled by the temperature in the SHRIMPORIUM, not the temperature in the basement general room. My thermostat/sensor holds the Shrimporium at a constant temperature, thus keeping the tanks also at a constant temperature (DK concluded she needs the temperature 2 degrees lower air temperature than the target tank temperature, in order to balance the heat load.)

And, DK is happy. And not too much poorer.

Her shrimp tanks are REALLY much happier, as they are now down at the temps they want to be.

AND>>>>>>>>> I'm tired of this story, so this is the end of it. Tomorrow, I have an appointment with my favorite local machinist, to get some holes drilled...

NEXT UP:

DK's father's day gift. (Uh, that would be her father's day gift to her Father In Law, actually. He just had retinal surgery, anna DK is doing a little sumpin toward that.) Yeah. It's late. But worth it. Nothing to do with shrimp, but someday what I learned doing it I will use in the hobby. It always happens.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 06-27-2013 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: ...
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #1712
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

FD2013 project 01

Let's start with the backstory, with this project.

DK tries very hard to appreciate good people, in her life. And not just focus on herself. Very high up her list is her father-in-law, who happens to be a grown-up Pennsylvania farm boy. Mebbe it's 'cause we're two of a kind, we both MUST do projects, and keep active.

Well, recently, FIL had retinal surgery. They plastered back down his retina to the back of his eyeball, pushed against it while it healed with a bubble of nitrogen (I'm guessing), and sent him home to heal, admonishing him NO JOLTS. Jolting could tear loose the retina, causing permanent blindness.

He's an OUTDOOR project junkie. Gardening, mowing, landscaping, that sort of thing. He does a lot of mowing, on a riding mower.

Said mower used to have a suspension system in the seat, which had worn out. The suspension system consisted of a scissors frame, connected to a single air piston and two heavy duty tension springs. Aside from the piston wearing out, the mounting piece within the mechanism for the springs was inexplicably made of aluminum. Over time, the springs pulled clear through their mounting holes, like a grabby infant ripping a big hoop earring from a momma's pierced ear, tearing the earlobe. There was no salvaging the part, and DK saw no point in buying a replacement as there was a design flaw in her mind that would simply repeat history.

DK wanted a replacement suspension system that would mimic a high-end air suspension seat, but not at the four digit cost. She wanted to get to a solution for about a Ben Franklin note.

She dug back in her cob-webby squirrely brain and thought about all the stuff she learned about air pistons when she researched them for the BSCC Lid Levitation project. As in that project, mounting considerations were a bear, in the lawn tractor seat real estate. There was no place to mount a pair of air shocks where they would not be in the way, have impossible mounting positions, and furthermore, due to the nature of mowing, the pistons would be exposed to a lot of dirt, aging the seals easily. They were just a lot of technical hurdles, to use.

She cruised high and low, searching for a solution, and came upon these things that are secondary suspension tools, called air bags. Yes, air bags. Also called air springs. But they are not air cylinder pistons, they are more like balloons made of fiber-reinforced structural rubber polymer material. They are designed to provide secondary suspension cushion to back up struts or air pistons in cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.

A cruise through trucking, motorcycling, and car parts places in cyberspace eventually led her to some with specifications that she thought might work.

She spent a week taking apart the mower and seat, studying the real estate and geometries and mechanical relationships. The real estate was very tightly engineered, and it would be a challenge, but there was one site she thought might work for mounting.

Since said mower is a five-digit piece of equipment (that would be: $$,$$$.$$) and not hers, she was very conservative in her approach to alterations, insisting any she did would be reversible and not alter the engineering too much. The machine is well engineered, meaning all the parts are integrated and the spaces, too, so it's always a bugger to upset that and try to keep the original efficiencies.

So here is the project array, which came in just under a Ben. Her work on WetWedding took her to some pneumatics works, and a pneumatics parts vendor, which she used for these parts. Yes, shrimp became related to this project.

Another example of airbags in bikes. Good pics.

And another.

And here the air springs are used in some dude's thesis, in an air suspension design for a wheelchair. Advanced geeks only on this link.

Both the motorcycle dudes and the thesis dude speak of pressure accumulators inline with these airsprings to get really controlled air suspension function. DK has a sense of pressure accumulators, since basically a well tank is a large one, and she was forced to learn all about them in her install of WetWedding! So of course, now DK is obsessing on gettin' her an accumulator in her pneumatic system.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 06-29-2013 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #1713
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

FD2013 project 02

So, here we have the scene of the crime. The view is from the rear of the mower, looking toward the front, with the seat flipped up (the seat/rear hood assembly is on a hinge that raises the back of the hood/seat up for access to the engine, underneath.

The only available real estate is the plate on which the hood/seat frame rests, shown here. The weight of the assembly is borne on the two rubber bumpers on the rear side, and on the large hinge front side. The big "V" in the center of the picture is the brace that holds the seat/hood assembly up when access to the engine is needed, like the prop that holds a car hood up when you are checking the oil. Since the engine is in the rear of this mower, the hood is in the rear, not the front. In the center of the top of the "V" in the top photo, you can see the monga hinge that the assembly rotates upon, that is the front point of attachment of the hood/seat assembly.

These are the two pictures I shot to send to the machine shop, to show what I needed, so I'm just using them here for a bird's eye view of the landscape.

The plan is to mount the air bags where the bumpers are. To do this, I needed larger mounting holes than the bumpers used. I got lucky and had my holes drilled for a mere $5 at my local machine shop. Every DIYer should have a local machine shop, if there isn't one in their garage or outbuilding, DK thinks. Useful, they are, those machine shops.

Oh, yeah, in case you're wondering. The hammer is in the picture because I was trying to show the machine shop the size of the part I needed drilled, and I put a hammer into the frame for size reference.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4815.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	167201  

Name:	IMG_4815notes.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	167209  

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 06-30-2013 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #1714
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

FD2013 project 03

Here, the part is pulled and the rubber bumpers removed. Views before and after the new holes. The five dollar shot.

Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #1715
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

FD2013 project 04

Here, we have the underside view of the pneumatics shown, after the air bags are mounted. The air bags are hooked to quarter inch pneumatic line with pneumatic fittings and then linked together at a tee fitting, so the air is mobile to distribute evenly to both bags at any time. The tee fitting points through a hole in the mounting plate and emerges on the other side, where it ends in a Schrader valve covered by the lovely rocket ship cap.

The rocket ship cap was selected for a few reasons. First, it is much easier to twist due to the fins, than a plain cap. Second, it is longer and fully covers the threads on the Schrader valve, keeping them clean. Third, it is bright, metallic, shiny orange, easier to see if it falls off, especially in grass. Fourth, it's coo-el.

The third picture is a close-up of the real estate. From it, you can appreciate the EXACT placement of the air bag. It was fortunate that the existing holes were perfect, because the placement had to be exactly there, there is no real estate to shift placement even a quarter inch front to back or side to side. The tolerances are VERY tight. The specifications for the air bags call for FULL support of the under plate, and 3/4 inch diameter minimum coverage on center of the upper plate, so you can see I have BARELY fulfilled the upper plate coverage. But since the bags are engineered to hold much more weight than here, it should be fine.

If you look closely at the under-the-hood wide shot, you will also notice that the tolerances for the pneumatics stems and tubing were also very tight under that plate - I had to make sure that nothing in the engine would take out my tubing or overheat it. I had JUST enough room underneath that plate.

This is the initial install, which merely needs inflation to a suitable PSI. If I decide to fine tune it with a pressure accumulator, I will later add one inline. For now, we'll beta test this configuration with Mr. Mower.

I am very seriously considering an accumulator, though, and have searches looking for a suitable one in progress. They're not hard to find, but DK is cheap.

The accumulator would smooth out the ride from a stiff water-balloon like suspension to a smoother suspension. More importantly, an accumulator expands the system air volume, so when there are temperature swings, there is less chance a cooler day would cause the system to contract enough for the air bags to bottom out - this is a matter of convenience as the fix to that is to add a bit more air to the system if the weather is cool enough to do this, but DK is all into system robustness and would prefer not to have to mess with fine tuning due to temps. The flip side to the equation is that to install a pressure accumulator, she needs to find suitable real estate - not a simple puzzle.

What does this project have to do with shrimp? I dunno... yet. Keep reading long enough, and this technology WILL be relevant, to something shrimp-y I do, I assure you. Just you wait.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	backtowork.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	168369  

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 07-03-2013 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 07-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #1716
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So, yesterday, on July 4th, yes, we had mowing action. The reviews were very positive. It's a winner.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Sometimes, DK sitz around pondering deep questions.

"What does this go to??"

OK, mebbe that's not one of them. But it's a question that comes up.

Recently, DK stumbled upon these, and is pondering them.

She has a lot of cord action in the Shrimporium (see pictures, each of these is a DIFFERENT cord scene, and this is not all of them, either!!!), and it drives her nuts to try to trace a cord when she has to unplug a certain heater or filter, as she has it seems hundreds of plugs.

These are too pricey, but the idea is brewing...

She likes the shiny colors. And the little pictures. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

AND... as she's thinkin' about this, she's thinkin' about Plamen's pigeons.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4855.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	169609  

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 07-05-2013 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 07-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #1717
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

electrical tape and duct tape come in different colors. Just wrap a small strip around each, and have a small strip on your equipment.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #1718
matti2uude
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Different colored bread tags work too.
matti2uude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #1719
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

As far as labeling with words, I found cloth medical tape works well.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #1720
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

My criteria are:
  1. Color coding so I know what TYPE of appliance the plug goes to.
  2. Pictures or numbering on both ends so I know the plug on this end goes to the heater in tank xx at a glance. Therefore the heater end must be durable for underwater exposure, etc.
  3. Sleek and not cluttery; there is ALREADY a big mess from just the cords themselves. I prefer not to have strings, tape, or tags hanging off if possible. That's why those buttons appealed to me so much; they are very streamlined.
  4. Easily removable and yet hard to dislodge accidentally; re-useable and reposition-able (if a heater burns out I want to take them and put them on the new heater, etc.)
  5. Sorta cheap.

So far, DK has solved the color coding, using split pieces of colored tubing. It is quite secure on the cord:

Attached Images

Old 07-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #1721
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

If that's the case, pencil grips may work well for you, too.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #1722
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i am going to use bread tags. can always buy can of spray paint (krylon makes one for plastics) and color code them to heaters, lights, filters each with their own color

wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #1723
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
If that's the case, pencil grips may work well for you, too.
Well, I'm happy with the split tubing, and it's already here and "free" from my bins & barrels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti2uude View Post
Different colored bread tags work too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i am going to use bread tags. can always buy can of spray paint (krylon makes one for plastics) and color code them to heaters, lights, filters each with their own color
Thems would fall off around here, and get lost. And besides, I don't buy bread, so haven't a source of bread tags.

DK's solution is en route.

IN OTHER NEWS:

This past month, DK has had not one, but two out of town parties come visit the Shrimporium. I cannot begin to tell you how fun that was, because both parties were in construction trades and DK absolutely loves to pick the brains of those types. So much so that, well, I need them to come back. I think there's a good chance of that happening, fortunately.

Oh, mannnnnnnnnnn... party #2 gave DK a description of their shop and EXTENSIVE bins and barrels of parts 'n' pieces that made DK's mouth water. She simply MUST go see this someday.

And here's DK's God Dog Rottie and his mini-me: OK, so mebbe DK did a little photoshopping...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	minime.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	171433  

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 07-08-2013 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #1724
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Mini project, this week:

Heinzerator project 01

Sometimes, DK just gets fed up with something and decides to fix it. Today, she grabbed the ketchup bottle and a-got to thinkin'.

She's gonna fix them Taiwan bees, make 'em a bit happier.

The Mermaids are so happy with the Upper and Lowland Mermaid Bar and Grilles, so now the Taiwans are grumbling that they don't get enny perks.

INGRATES!!

So, DK a-gonna give them a li'l sumpin'.

It all started here. Y'know, since DK is a very food-oriented person, she gets a lot of inspiration in the fridge and pantry, 'cause she's staring in those spaces a lot.

Attached Images

Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #1725
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Mermaidenettes, from today. DK luvs dem babies.

Attached Images