7.5g Yellow Neo troubles (Part Two) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Swapping substrates with shrimp can be difficult but it can also work well.

There's the chance you could have an ammonia spike but it's usually nothing major.

Put your shrimp in a bucket with your filter, a sponge filter or air stone. Make sure you get all of them out - even babies.

Then remove as much water as possible and put it in another container.

Remove the Eco-Complete.

If you're using something like Black Diamond Blasting Grit, put it in, add whatever plants you've got, slowly fill it back up and let it run for 30-min or an hour and then test your parameters to make sure there's no ammonia spike. If all is well, you can add your shrimp back to the tank.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #17
NebelGeîst
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

all I wrote was deleted -.-
So one more time:

You can put the shrimp and snails in a bowle with tank water, it won´t take much time to redesigne the tank. The filter should be kept with tank water in a small bucket.
I prefere lava granulates (1-8mm size) as inert substrate (where no demersal fish is kept), but haven´t read about it here on this forum yet, so I don´t know how common it is in the US as aquarium substrate. I appreciate the all natural appearance, the porosity and the cheap price. But any inert aquarium substrate will do.

Just put back the filter and the tank water from the bucket, than put back the animals.
The remaining Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter in the filter will be enough for the very few shrimp and snails, so I expect no cycle problems here. Just feed a bit less at first.
But you should not put new shrimp in the tank for the first two to three weeks, so the bacteria will have time to establish in the substrate as well.
If you are not able to put back all the old tank water and would need to ad tab water: leave the Shrimp in the bowle and mix the water in it slowly with he water from the rearranged tank, because the parameters have changed and this will lead to more stress for the allready stressed invertebrates, if you put them back instantly.
(I hope my English is not to confusing for you and you get what I wanted to say ^^)

(I´m sorry for my poor English, as you can see, I´m not a native speaker)
NebelGeîst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I decided to get rid of the Eco Complete. I really like the look of it, but it's unstable for the shrimp. Now it looks like all three tanks are not matching the water I put in it. I'll probably have to redo the other two in the future. It sucks and it really makes me mad that I have to do that. I wish I knew this sooner.

I am going to Tractor Supply today and see if they have Black Diamond 20/40. If not, I may have to visit the local Pet Store and see what they have.

I also will need to find something to put the shrimp in and put the filter with them. I guess the Mysteries and other snails may need a separate container. Many things to think about.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

If you can't find Black Diamond at Tractor Supply, check with one of their customer service people. They usually will be able to tell you when it will be in stock.

Should have no luck with that, consider pool filter sand. It comes in all sorts of colors. While they'll likely all be lighter than Black Diamond, it's cheap.

Other options: crushed lava rock from your area landscaping supplier. Sometimes you have to call them up to tell them what you're looking for. Or straight up plain (small) gravel from the pet shop.

Point being, you don't have to spend a ton on Neos to get a great substrate.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
jmhk
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Can anyone explain why Eco-complete would cause issues after being in the tank for a few months? The only thing I have read is that it will initially have slightly increased nitrates (ok/desired for a planted tank). I thought that it is just crushed lava rock....

"Eco-Complete™ Planted is a geologically recent basaltic volcanic material"

Last edited by jmhk; 07-09-2013 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: typo
jmhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It has high CEC. Meaning it can absorb things and slowly release them into the water column.

There's also no real information about what CaribSea puts in the liquid the product is shipped with - beyond what's printed on the packaging. Depending upon what's in the liquid, any number of issues could arise.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was able to get the Black Diamond 20/40 yesterday. Today, I plan on soaking a good amount in water and get it ready for the tank. No idea when the plants will be here.

I was wondering....

Would it be okay after removing the old substrate and adding Black Diamond, to add new water with the correct parameters? Not use the water that was in the tank? Having to drip acclimate the shrimp to the new water?

Would that cause a cycle problem?
2g (Snails)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

New water shouldn't cause any problem at all. Just monitor everything before you start dripping.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's great.

So the plan is:

Use 5 gallon bucket. Put the filter, tank water, floaters, cholla wood, IAL, shrimp, and various snails into the bucket. Plants into bowl. Remove Eco Complete. Add Black Diamond. Add plants. Add new water. Add filter. Check parameters often for up to an hour. If everything looks great, add shrimp to a bowl with some bucket water and drip acclimate them. After two 1/2 hours of dripping, add shrimp to their tank. Add etc. Done!

Sounds good? May add airstone to bucket after removal of filter. I usually drip the Mysteries to new tanks when I get them so I may do this after shrimp are added.

Going to be fun to get the MTS out of Eco Complete.
2g (Snails)
Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

You could just test the tank after an hour of everything running to be sure parameters are where you want them.

Your drip time may need to be extended if parameters are very different than the water they're currently in. Just go with your gut on that one or post here on the forum if you encounter wildly different parameters that you aren't sure about.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, I'll drip them longer just in case.

Thanks for the help. This whole thing is making me nervous. I guess it's just me being new.
2g (Snails)
Old 07-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A update.

Last Friday, I did the switch of substrate and everyone is doing great. Took longer to do, but so glad I did it. Love the Black Diamond and wishing I went with it in the beginning. Only thing I don't like is the Mysteries and MTS are uprooting the plants, lol. They love digging holes those Mysteries . Shrimp seem to be enjoying the new moss and plants.

18g is not stable now. It's doing the same thing as the 7.5g. The 18g and 7.5g shared the same two bags of Eco Complete that I got on Ebay. I will have to set up a new tank soon or in the next couple of months. I wont do a switch of substrate because it would be a lot of work and I got a lot of new babies in the tank. I think moving them over to a new tank would be easier.

The 3.2g is stable at the moment.
2g (Snails)

Last edited by GreenBliss; 07-16-2013 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: add