What Light for 40 gallon Breeder planted?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
crice8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

What Light for 40 gallon Breeder planted?

Hey everyone,
I am purchasing a 40 gallon breeder from petco and trying to determine what 36" light to go with it? I will be dosing ferts and injecting pressurized co2. I'm wanting to be medium-high light. I have high light right now on my 20 gallon high and due to algae decided to raise it today finally. I was looking at the 36" Finnex ray 2 DS and the Fugeray 36". Which of these two would meet my needs better? I know the 40 breeder is only 16" deep so I'm hesitant of it being too much light. I have looked at the par values but would like some experienced advice(=. Thanks!
crice8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...602&highlight=.
This thread shed a bit of light on the matter for me. I too was looking into lighting my 4 display 40g breeder setups. Finnex is a good lighting system for the price. I have determined that the Finnex Ray 2 DS is the model I will be going with as well so I am saving up my pennies for some 36" and a 48" (55g plant grow out tank).

The link to the above article help solidify my decision for the model. As long a you have space to adjust height your set. Control your intensity with the height of the fixture itself.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g

Last edited by flight50; 07-05-2013 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: -
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
crice8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...602&highlight=.
This thread shed a bit of light on the matter for me. I too was looking into lighting my 4 display 40g breeder setups. Finnex is a good lighting system for the price. I have determined that the Finnex Ray 2 DS is the model I will be going with as well so I am saving up my pennies for 8 36" and 2 48" (55g plant grow out tank).

The link to the above article help solidify my decision for the model. As long a you have space to adjust height your set. Control your intensity with the height of the fixture itself.
Thanks! That is a great thread that I have not seen yet when doing searching! I'm leaning toward the Finnex Ray 2 DS for sure now.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

I actually just picked up a 40g breeder at the $/gal sale as well and this is a link to the light that I purchased for it (http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-planted-tank/).

Hoping to add an apex controller shortly so that I can add in sunrise/sunset and some lightning storms.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

Just to provide perspective, I have a 10g (12" height) with a Ray2 and MonsterRay with CO2.

I have no algae issues other than some green spot on the glass which is fed upon by the otos and snails every few days.

the 40b will have an additional 4" which will further diffuse the light. The combination of ray2 and monsterray has been nothing short of phenomenal so long as you can establish the balance in light/co2/water flow/dosing/bioload.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
crice8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the additional comments guys! I'm thinking the 36" Ray 2 DS and a 36" MonsterRay.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Chester
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

Acity, you have the Current LED + too right? If you put that on a 40B that would low to medium right I am assuming right... depending on how deep your substrate is, because I was thinking of getting a 40B with the Current LED+ lights... also just saw that they are now a sponsor, and they stated that they are working on a high light version of the Current LED +
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.