Spark Plug's 10 Gallon Betta Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Spark Plug's 10 Gallon Betta Tank

As a kid I had a tank in my room. It was a 20 gallon tank that I kept rescued one eyed goldfish in. Then the reptile bug hit in high school so off went the fish, and in came the snakes, turtles, and lizards which was how all of my tanks stayed though college.

Fast forward to when one of my son's first words was "fishy", well actually "bishy". I don't know where he got it, but my toddler LOVES fish. I mean obsessed. To the point where when he was in bad moods I would pack him up and take him to the pet store to look at the fish and he was suddenly in the best mood ever. Now I have always liked fish, but know they are a lot of woork. We live on a farm and I never thought I would need another species to take care of especially in the house. But Jason LOVES fish, so insert Spark Plug, aka Sparky Jason's first pet of his own. Because you know, 2 dogs, 3 cats, rabbits, horses, goats, & chickens aren't enough.

Anyways...Sparky was a betta I ordered on eBay for Jason, who started out in a Evolve 4, then moved up to a Spec V, and just yesterday was upgraded yet again to a 10 gallon tank thanks to Petco's $1/gallon sale!

I have been drooling over everyone else's tank journals, so decided I would start one for his. It is nothing fancy, but he seems very happy. The pic was taken not long after I set it up so the water is still a bit cloudy. I used filter media, some substrate, tank water, mopani wood, and plants from the old tank. I also added a bottle of Tetra Safe Start to be safe.

Tank - 10 gallon with glass canopy. Fluval Stratum for substrate, Mopani wood for hardscape. The filter is an Aqua Clear 30. I also have an adjustable heater in there. The light is a Finnex Fugeray 16" that I had on my Spec V.

Plants - Anubias, Crypts, Bacopa Carolina, Ludwiga Repens, Water Sprite, and a baby Ozelot Sword.

Fauna - So far just one spoiled Half Moon Betta Male

I am totally open to suggestions, comments, and criticism so fire away
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment-2.aspx.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	169505  

iLOVEnanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

Forgot to add....I am waiting on more Fluval Stratum to come. I thought I had enough but didn't so some roots are showing. I also ordered a Pre-Filter sponge which I am waiting on too.

PS- I plan on taking out the stupid ammonia reader (I test with an API Master drop kit, but just wanted that in for the first few weeks as a back up). Also, the floating bunch is some extra crypts I am not sure what to do with yet. I am also thinking of adding something to the foreground, but IDK what. Maybe a Red Tiger Lotus in the back too. I just want to see how what I have fills in first though.
iLOVEnanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

BOOOOO ME! I just realized I broke off the Anubias' flower when I moved it

Soooo mad at myself. RIP little Anubias flower...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	get-attachment-3.aspx.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	169585  

Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
Dina-Angel
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is that substrate black or brown?

I like the set-up And the betta, he is handsome!
Dina-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

Thanks! It is Fluval plant stratum. It is black in person.

Not much going on other then lots of melting crypts. The bacopa Carolina is growing like crazy! Most stems are to the top already! Yesterday I had a bit of Algea growing so I moved my 3 otos in from my other tank and manually removed the hair Algea. I think it was due to me leaving the lights on too long wanting the stems to get a fast start. Oops!

I also added some frogbit hoping that would help. I want to add a few more plants to the tank. This tank jut really isn't doing it for me. I was thinking of placing another plant order today. Any plant suggestions?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

No plant suggestions? I am trying to figure out an order today.

Anyways, the Bacopa Carolina and the Ludwiga Repens has been growing like crazy! One stem of Bacopa is already hitting the lid! Going to do some trimming, replanting, and some melted leaf removal tonight when I do a water change.

As for the algea, a good hand removal, shorter light periods, and the addition of 3 otos from my Ember tank seemed to fix it! Yay! Speaking of the otos....I am thinking of adding a few more fish to the tank...I already have to supplement the otos feeding, but LOVE otos. I found some zebras and "vampire otos" and was wondering if I could mix an match otos for a better school? Or should I just leave the otos at 3 and maybe add a small shoal of pygmy cories? I may not even add anything else, just kinda thinking out loud
Old 08-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

OK sorry it has been so long, not sure if anyone follows this, but at least it will help me keep track After a rough month (family stuff), I have LOTS to update. So far all of the fauna is the same, I moved otos around so this tank only has 2 otos and a Spark Plug the Betta.

I removed the water sprite, ozelot sword baby, and some crypts, and replaced them with some more stems. Ludwiga Repens and Sunset Hygro. I have done a few trimmings and replantings. I also added a few TEENY TINY Buces and a *supposedly* Anbias "Stardust" which are tied onto lava rocks up front.

I still feel like I need more plants, I am thinking it looks bare still and too "stemmy". I am hoping to find some more nice crypys or anubias, but am still up for suggestions on what to add

Speaking of adding, I am HOPING to add some more Otos, I would love some Zebras if I can hold out till Sept when they come in. If not, I may add some cories, although with how active the betta is it far from boring for me as is. I am open to more fish though if anyone has other suggestions, as my husband thinks it needs some more life

Anyways here is a current pic after last night's trimming and water change.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	get-attachment-3.aspx.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	189449  

Name:	get-attachment-4.aspx.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	189457  

Old 08-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Looking good, keep it up!
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
Dina-Angel
Planted Tank Obsessed

I still really like it... This Betta has a lovely home!
Dina-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #10
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

Thanks so much guys! He is a spoiled guy!
parrotbay - the plants from you are awesome! I even was able to share some of the hygro with a friend after this last trimming! Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

Well sad update but Spark Plug passed away a day ago :,(

I was away visiting family for a week and my husband overfed and never turned the lights off so the tank was a mess wen I got home. I am now battling diatoms as some hair algae and thinking a major rescape may be in order. If course the beta has to die overnight before my son's 2nd bday, so for his birthday we went to find a new betta. He picked out a blue crown tail who is now living in the tank.

I am going to FINALLY try a lotus in here now that I will have tons of room. I did some trimming the other day with a water change, but may have to pull more to get rid of the hair algae. Also my crypts all melted while I was gone. Hoping they com back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	230986  

Old 11-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

Oh and the nameless new betta....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	230994  

Old 12-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
iLOVEnanos
Algae Grower

I am starting to believe this tank just hates me LOL! A while back I had a major hair algae bloom. After blacking out the tank, the algae was gone, but the tank crashed somehow and I had to recycle it. Yesterday I pulled out most of the stems, and now it is very bare. I also did a water change and tested everything again and everything is now balanced.

The only current inhabitants are the one betta, a few Ramshorns, and two Otos. I am trying to catch 3 otos from my other tank to move to this one, so they can have more of a proper school. Tomorrow I will be going on a mission to try to get some new plants and possibly a school of nano fish (hoping for some Espei Rasboras). Wish me luck!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #14
sophieydg
Algae Grower

I think the tanks looks great! That is one lucky betta.
sophieydg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
10 gallon, betta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.