Mythin's other ADA 45-P
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)

Mythin's other ADA 45-P

So I got a second ADA 45-p now, One was being used as a shrimp tank, but at the moment it is just empty, thinking about adding Taiwan Bee's to it. Anyhow I saw another 45-p being sold locally and decided why not. I have been wanting to do a dutchish nature style tank. I have done iwagumi, and nature style before, I didnt want to do go full dutch, because I like some of the aspects of nature style.

Equipment list:
ADA 45-P (45cmX27cmX30cm)
Eheim 2236 Canister filter
10# CO2 tank
Victor VTS 450D Dualstage Regulator with Dual manifold
Archaea Slim-Pro LED 45cm
GLA 50mm atomizer
Newest ADA Amazonia, which apparently dropped the "NEW" title, and its just called Amazonia again.

Plants (so far):
Rotala Mini Butterfly
Micrantherum umbrosum "monte carlo" type-3
Rotala Indica True
S. Repens
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Mexicana Goias
Crypt Parva
Heteranthera Zosterifolia
Lindernia Grandiflora
Ludwigia Sp. Red
Didiplis Diandra

Initial Planting:

Not the best picture (gs4), but I need to order a new memory card for my dslr. Im interested in seeing the growth rate for monte carlo, Tom Barr says it grows fairly slow, if it grows slow and stays compact, it could be the perfect foreground plant because HC is a PITA to maintain long term. The Amazonia was only cloudy for about an hour before my filter cleared it out, it does leave this very fine annoying line of dust all around the edge where the top of the water meets the glass, but ive just been able to wipe it up with a paper towel easily.

The Achaea slim-pro seems to put out a decent amount of light, I will just have to see how it grows plants, but its rated at 7000-8000k light spectrum, and has 135 LED's @ Luminous intensity: 1400mcd or 17.60Lm per LED, I dont know what that really all means, but I think this puts me close to med-high light to high-light. It definitely looks to my eyes, dimmer than what I have over my other 45-p which is a 20" 40W Current USA Power Compact, but I guess what my eye's see, and what the plants can absorb is a different story. I will just have to wait and see how this archaea turns out.
mythin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Mike00726
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks pretty sweet so far.
Mike00726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

That's a great start!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

A little update a week later. Added the new eheim skim 350, seems really nice so far, no more biofilm, additional water flow, and it also acts as a co2 reactor for me, because i put it near my diffuser.

Got some new plants in, but due to the heat and shipping delays, they all perished. Careful ordering plants this time of the year, especially in the south, its probably too hot even for priority shipping at the moment.

my favorite angle.

What deficiency is causing small leaves on my r. mac mini butterfly? Needs more Potassium?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

My rotala butterfly is weird, half of it is green and small, the other half is nice and big beautiful leaved and red.

Top down view, love my skimmer.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #6
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I got most of the rotala mini butterfly coloring up red now, but i did notice I seem to have 2 different types of rotala mini butterfly

If you look at this image, you can see one has smaller leaves, and more pointy leaves. This is consistent with the whole plant, even after multiple prunings. The one with the more pointly leaves is slightly harder to turn red, i.e. will turn green more easily (unstable mutation?). The one with the slightly larger more round leaves, gets red more easily, and seems to not ever go all the way green, staying a kind of brownish color at the worst. The red on the fatter leaved version gets a lot deeper red too then the smaller leaved version (at least in my tank.)

Are these 2 mutations, 2 different phenotypes?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think it's different phenotypes, that's pretty cool.
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow the plants have grown in beautifully!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

i experienced a similar thing with the rotalla butterfly, after it shipped and i got it planted, some of the leaves went green, small, narrow, though once i did my first trim a few weeks later with it established, and conditions were right, it grew back red no problem. So i think once it goes green if probably wont revert back for that for that particular node, but new nodes and off shoots should be red.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
travelvice
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

@mythin -

I've seen this directional nozzle on your setups before and with my recent Eheim purchase I'm keen to figure out where you bought it:

Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #11
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
i experienced a similar thing with the rotalla butterfly, after it shipped and i got it planted, some of the leaves went green, small, narrow, though once i did my first trim a few weeks later with it established, and conditions were right, it grew back red no problem. So i think once it goes green if probably wont revert back for that for that particular node, but new nodes and off shoots should be red.
What im talking about is slightly different, I have 2 different plants. One with pointy smaller leaves, it turns just as red as the other one. The other one has bigger more rounded leaves, and turns red slightly easier, but I have gotten both of them red now.

This looks a little closer to what I am talking about here:

I believe I have Rotala Macrandra Mini Type IV and another form of Rotala mini butterfly, one with pointier leaves (I dont think what I have is type V like in the picture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelvice View Post
@mythin -

I've seen this directional nozzle on your setups before and with my recent Eheim purchase I'm keen to figure out where you bought it:

Hmm, i'm pretty sure this came with my eheim 2236 (ecco), I bet you can just order it by itself if you look up replacement parts for the 2236.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #12
travelvice
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Interesting -- yes, that's the one:

Eheim 4004600, Swivel outlet
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #13
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Very cool thing about the mini, Im going through the same thing (if you want to pain yourself, you can go thru my journal about it). I thought it was because of my lights, but then Im growing all sorts of plants in my light. I really hope they go back to red for you.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just shipped off a ton of plants, just did its first major trim. Who ever bought my last plant package got hooked up and got about 70 stems of rotala mini butterfly instead of 20, and I decided to get rid of star grass and rotala walichii just because they grew a little too fast or in stargrass' case way too huge.

Moved some rotala mini butterfly type IV onto the left side, and gave all the butterfly on the rightside a very dramatic haircut. The roots have been established for a month and a half now so it should grow back into a nice bush im hoping.

Monte Carlo digging its way under itself and the substrate.

Just regular old rotala rotundifolia. It grows really big in my tank and is easily one of my best looking plants. For something so common, its a wonderful looking plant.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #15
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

True indica looks really good, although it looks too similar to rotala sunset. Id rather have the sunset Your setup would give the sunset its true colours.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.