Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long Plant Hoarder Unorganized Wannabe Dutch Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Chester
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long Plant Hoarder Unorganized Wannabe Dutch Tank

Equipment
Mr. Aqua 12 Long
Classic Eheim 2211
Current LED Satellite Plus 36 inch
2 x 2 and a half inch bubble filters
13mm SS filter guard - from H4N

Substrate & Hardscape
MGOCP - Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Soil
25 pounds of Black blasting sand
A dozen or so Manzanita Branches - from Tom Barr aka plantbrain
Some 7 and half pound rock with a good story...
Root tabs - from mistahoo

Flora

Floaters
Amazon frogbit
Riccia

Foreground
Dwarf Chain swords
Marsilea Minuta
Crypt Parva
Singapore moss - on the rock

Midground/Background
Crypt Nurii
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'
Narrow Leaf Anacharis
Limnophila Aromatica
Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
Rotala Mini Butterfly
Blyxa Japonica
Hygrophila sp. 'Brown'
Ludwigia 'Atlantis'
Crypt Wendtii Red - I think

Fauna

10 Longfin Red Minor Tetras
2 Pearl Danios
2 Assassin Snails - recently added to combat the pond snails...
5 Otocinclus
1 Zebra nerite
1 Batik nerite

So this is my first journal and I started this tank a few weeks ago, around June 14th or so. First and foremost, I'd like to thank TPT members who generously sell/RAOK their plants at super reasonable prices and allow all of us to have access to plants we would not otherwise be able to get locally at or LFS or big chain stores. 95% of my plants in this tank come from TPT members. With that said... I have no idea what all the plants are in my tank. I'll try and name most of them if I can...

I have to say that I love love the dimensions of the Mr Aqua 12 long.
I initially wanted to make this in to a shrimp tank, but not sure now those red minor look great amongst all those green plants... but so would a bunch of fire red shrimp...We shall see. Could I keep shrimp with my current fauna?

I used Seachem Stability to help kick start my cycle and used the danio to help it move along faster.

I used root tabs right under the plants with heavy roots, and use a timer for my lights. I have them on four hours on two hours off then another four hours on. So far no issues with algae even when the tank was not as heavily planted. I did have that white fuzz on my driftwood but like others have said it went away after two weeks. I dose excel maybe twice a week at most, and flourish once a week.

I recently bought EI liquid ferts from Colin aka Nilocg and have not started dosing yet because I am afraid that I will then have to really start trimming my plants.

Haha and I am a bit lazy about taking pics so I am not sure if I will update my journal or not.

Oh lessons learned...
Do not buy or use black blasting sand if you only have the tub of your apartment to wash it out and clean it... my tub took forever to clean...
I do not recommend capping MGCOP with sand unless you never plan on replanting moving things around... the mgcop seeps out of any puncture in the substrate... I used tweezers and little bits still floated out of the substrate... Next time I will just use root tabs and all sand.

Enough words now for pics...

Last edited by Chester; 07-04-2013 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: Added lessons learned section
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Chester
Algae Grower

Default Images

Here are a few of the empty tank shots taken on 06-11-2013.

Left Side

Right Side

FTS

FTS taken on 06-14-2013 right after I set up the tank

The hardscape changed a bit as the branches moved when filling water... and I moved my second bubble filter to the right corner of the tank.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Chester
Algae Grower

Default Pics of the tank today

Left Side

Middle

Right Side

FTS Shots

I got my Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum' in the emersed state... they are adjusting to being submerged now and the leaves are starting to turn red, and the new leaflets are coming out red...so hoping that will add a bit of color to my super everything seems to be green tank!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I'm surprised the fish have room to swim. that is an insane jungle haha. congrats on the tank and welcome to the club
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Chester
Algae Grower

haha thanks they swim around the front of the tank and the middle water
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Wow, def a jungle... you are right on that. I kinda like it though, it's neat to not be able to see all your fish right away. I know I like having to find which nooks & crannies mine go into.
Nice tank, me likey

I'd think you'd be ok with adding some cherry shrimp in there. I've never kept either those tetras or the danios myself but based on their size I'd assume the adults would be safe. I'd even go as far to say most shrimplets would prolly make it as well, considering how dense your tank is planted.

To be safe I'd buy some ghosties 1st since theyre so cheap and see what happens.
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh & whats the rock's story? Dying to know!
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
NanoAda
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

looks good. but i think you need a hair cut.
NanoAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Chester
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
Oh & whats the rock's story? Dying to know!
haha ok... So I went to the Philippines on vacation in April/July...I'm from there. Going to the beach, visiting family and going to a wedding for the short version... I was visiting my uncle, and I know he bought land recently, so I go visit his new property... well he bought half of a "mountain"... more like a hill tbh...I climb to the top of the mountain and the view is stunning... I look around and there are rocks everywhere...no idea what kind but they are black with white veins and I am thinking that would look awesome in a scape lol...So I ask him if I can bring some back...He said take as many as I want...I took two, one that is about 8lbs and another around 3lbs. So I have 12lb of rocks with me that I am lugging around everywhere with me while in the Philippines, because this happened at the earlier part of my trip. Well as I am leaving the country, the security at the airport was like "what do you plan to do with those rocks?" I am honest and tell them "I am putting them in my aquarium." LOL they do not believe me and kept insisting that I was bring them back to America to get mineral tested...10 minutes later they let me bring them into the airport but insist that I better check that bag in so there won't be an issue. I planned on doing so anyways. So some nine thousand miles later I get it home safe and sound, and have to wait a few months to use it because the aquarium I wanted to use it in had wood and scape that wouldn't work with the rock... The 3lb rock I gave to my cousin,I tell him its a piece of his inheritance. He bought an aquarium last week and used it as part of is scape.

Oh back to the aquarium... I plan on rescaping it sometime in the next few weeks. I got an awesome piece of driftwood that I want to use as a centerpiece, and waiting for some new plants I ordered to come in... LOL I helped my cousin set up a tank on Monday, and really like the clean look of it instead of the crazy overstuffed look I have in mine!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
Chester
Algae Grower

I got my Pogostemon Helferi (downoi) in today woot! So I decided it was time to give my 12 long a much needed haircut as suggested. I removed all the frogbit and as much of the riccia as I could. have small amount of red root floaters and Hygroryza Aristata. I'll be adding Alternanthera Reineckii 'Rosaefolia' next week behind the driftwood as well if it looks alright. Only posting a FTS because the water is murky and I need to clean the glass. I am thinking of adding some kind of moss to the driftwood either some Singapore moss or if I can get enough spiky moss...

a rare sight haven't seen this in about two weeks... my zebra nerite
Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hah, awesome story indeed for the rock. Bet you got all kinda funny looks, lol.

I really loving the rescape so far! So much nicer with more open space and such. The downoi looks amazing in there... & is that Blyxa in the back right corner? Love that as well!

What'd you end up doing with all the trimmings? Donate em to your cousin? I've been doing that myself, giving spare plants & critters to my sister for her 40 breeder.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
Chester
Algae Grower

Yeah I got a good deal on the downoi from travisk here on TPT. He has good plants! Yup that is Blyxa, and I had to pull a few smaller stems out of bylxa because it was starting to get too crowded back there.

Well right now they are in a bucket. We are having our monthly Greater Houston Aquarium Club meeting this Saturday. So I am posting on the site to see if anyone wants some of them. If not, I am thinking of doing them as RAOK here on TPT
Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Chester
Algae Grower

I moved all the fauna except the snails to my 20 long, and am thinking of putting either:

20 to 25 Bororas urophthalmoides or Bororas brigittae

OR

10 or so Gertrudae Rainbowfish or Furcata Rainbowfish
Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
Chester
Algae Grower

Goon read up on an easy DIY CO2 solution as well just but not sure if I want to go down that rabbit hole.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
Chester
Algae Grower

Saw my other nerite as well guess that's what happens when it's not so overstuffed!