LEDs for a low tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Dimsday

PTrader: (0/0%)

LEDs for a low tech

I'm in the process of planning my 55 gallon low tech tank (no CO2 and minimal to no ferts) and am looking for recommendations on which led lighting fixture to purchase.

The tank is 48" L, 20" H, and 12" W. There will be about 2-3 inches of substrate down. I'm planning on initially having some floating plants (either duckweed or watersprites) and then pulling these once the other plants establish themselves. The tank will be in a corner of a room without direct sunlight. I will be running 2 4-5 hour light cycles each day. I'm hoping this will allow me to lean more towards a mid to high lighting arrangement.

I'm considering the marineland double bright or something from the finnex line. I'm not sure if the marineland is sufficient for 20" of depth though. I do like the finnex fugeray ultraslim and the ultraslim II. The II might be over the top though.

What led light set ups have you run successfully? What are the upper limits of lighting do you feel are capable with a low-tech tank?
Dimsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Jonny
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you want a really cheap option that I have had a few people say they have had great success with it might be worth considering something like [Ebay Link Removed]

You'll probably want to find a US vendor for it but definitely worth considering.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

A finnex fugeray would be lowlight. A ray 2 would be high end of low into medium. Both have good track records.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I run a fugeray on my 20 gallon and love it I dose frets though

Tags
led, low tech lighting, planted 55