What are my fish eating?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
Phish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

What are my fish eating?

I have an approximately 20 gallon rubbermaid on my patio i started 6 weeks ago. No substrate, no filter,no water changed( just added when it gets low. i dont even treat it, straight from spicket). and what I am super curious about- No feeding whatsoever. I originally put in 6 white cloud minnows and 4 platys. all 6 white clouds are alive and atleast 3 of the 4 platies are. I live in denver colorado

I am just wondering what the fish are feeding on. I imagine some microorganisms, algae, and random bugs??? I don't see any bugs on the surface or anything, though I quite often see bee's and flys around. No mosquite larvea in site, but maybe they eat it too fast?
And in case you are curious here are the plants.

• Some pretty Hycacinth-doing well, (2 10 inch long plants with lots of leafs but no flowers yet)
  • harty Lily pad thingie doing well, has about 4 shoots growing pads to the top, no flower yet too.
  • Anachris- got it about 8 inches long, now up to 18 inches in 6 weeks. curious will happen over the next 2 months.
  • A half dozen pond snails originally, now I can spot 20 or so babies at any times.
  • some cattail reed pond plant. It looks really neat. only grown an inch or 2 cause i cant find a place to ancor it in well
  • buncha random floaters... water lettuce, frogbit, dwarf and big something. they cover a good 20% of the tank now, about doubled. the roots are so long.

Last edited by Phish; 07-01-2013 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: mas
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
bB.A.Baracus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Check for mosquito larvae. I just stuck a betta in an 18 gallon rubbermaid I'm using for driftwood soaking in hopes he would eat some of them.
bB.A.Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
wrm130
Planted Member

I think you answered all your own questions
wrm130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Phish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrm130 View Post
I think you answered all your own questions
Haha I suppose so. I guess I am curious specifically what kind of microorganisms or bugs are likely to be in there.
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

If it has ever had any contact with other bodies of water then there could be almost anything in there. For example, the plants brought with them part of a large community of organisms. The water the fish were in had other things in there, too.

Some things can spread through the air, move around on clothing or animal bodies and other ingenious ways.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.