220 gallon dirted tank with CO2 injection - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #31
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Looks good! You are correct on the bacteria bloom. Just let it be and it should clear up within a couple days. Adding a small bit of 100% ammonia will help that process.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #32
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellcars View Post
Good luck with that. You will find most people telling you your tank will last 4 months......have 40g tanks. I bet they are also telling you to be at 2-3 bubbles per second.....such a good laugh that one is as well.
Yep. Most people seem to have 10-20 gallon fish tanks, and they run 1 bps...

I run 10+ bps in my 55...
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #33
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

You cannot use BPS on large tanks for CO2, no way.

You can use a measuring cup inverted and measure the time it takes to fill.
Say 200 mls in 4 minutes.

This is likely close to a decent starting range.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #34
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Thanks all for your advice. It's been about couple of weeks since I set up the tank with CO2 running at I-don't-know-how-many-bubbles, it's so fast, that one can't even count it. I agree with you bps doesn't really help, and logically the tank size should change it all.

I have been running the CO2 pretty high, but the problem has been the diffusion. When I adjusted the rate gradually and when it gets pretty high, the fish don't seem to be bothered, partly because the bubbles become larger and quickly float to water surface without diffusing properly. I have placed the filter output so that it makes bubbles float longer in the midst of aquarium water, but that is not enough.

I am using a Fluval FX5 and read a few people's posts that using inline reactor would not help because Fluval is designed to trap gas bubbles. Is this true? What is your experience?

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 06-28-2013 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: typo
aqua-botanicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #35
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
You can use a measuring cup inverted and measure the time it takes to fill.
Say 200 mls in 4 minutes.

This is likely close to a decent starting range.
Thanks for this tip, plantbrain. I tried this method of measuring this morning. The 200ml cup fills within about 4-5 minutes. But again, since most of the bubbles are large at high pressure, they are not diffusing in the water. I would appreciate your suggestions on better diffusion.

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 07-12-2013 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #36
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't understand bps (or any other method of measuring rate of CO2) in ANY tank size, given the variables (diffusion as is the case here). Shouldn't we just be measuring CO2 concentration in the water column and adjusting based on that?

Awesome tank by the way.
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #37
isellcars
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

With that much co2 you can't use a diffuser. You have to set up a reactor. I found the cerges reactor to be the best. I tried the Rex one but it could not break up the co2 good enough. Once I made the switch my plants really took off.
isellcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #38
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

Can the cerges reactor be used with Fluval FX5 with its gas trapping function?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #39
isellcars
Planted Member

Yes.....you connect it to the return pipe. So the co2 will never go into the canister. Plus they are very easy to make.
isellcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #40
mikehaase1norse
Algae Grower

Im in the early stage of collecting parts for my 210 build, I have almost the same canopy.
Did the lights fit under it?
mikehaase1norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #41
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

I removed the canopy before installing the lights. Looking at it now, I think the lights wouldn't fit. Good luck with your set-up.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #42
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

I took a picture of the tank before leaving for an overseas business trip. It will be intertesting to compare upon return couple of weeks later.

Some updates on the tank:

1. Planted Blyxa japonica and Pogostemon helferi (I was surprised to find this at a local Petsmart).
2. Couple weeks after setting up the tank, Ludwigia repens and Bacopa caroliniana grew 4"-6" (almost reaching the water surface). I clipped and replanted a few stems.
3. Limnophila splendens "wavy" is growing some healthy offshoots from a very weak plant that it was.
4. Hydrocotyle tripartita, Lobelia cardinalis and Cryptocoryne wendtii are thriving.
5. As expected, Cryptocoryne ciliata and Cryptocoryne crispulata balansae are recovering very slowly.
6. Vallisneria spiralis also growing back very slowly after completely melting in the new aquarium water.
7. I have removed Echinodorus amazonicus with a runner and it's floating on the surface at the moment until I give it away.
8. Almost every Anubias barteri var. nana rhizome gave out a couple of new leafs and their roots are slowly attaching to the driftwood (I hope that I can remove the rubber bands soon).
9. And the most important: I added a school of Red minor tetras (Hyphessobrycon callistus). They're such a nice schooling fish, and very beautiful.
10. The water still remains slightly murky. Perhaps it's taking longer for the autotrophic bacteria to build up in the large tank.

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 07-06-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #43
R. David Jain
Algae Grower

Default Reactor suggestion

Agree with everyone here that the tank looks like it'll be great! Just FYI, with regards to reactors (which I do agree you need for a tank that big), look into the ISTA MIX reactor... $15 on Dr.'s Foster and Smith right now (get the large size). I ordered one a few days ago, and while I haven't had a chance to try it yet, all the reviews say that it gets 100% of the C02 dissolved, which is all you can ask of a reactor. Beats building your own, IMHO, especially since you'd expect to pay almost $15 just for the parts to build a cerges. The ISTA MIX is also available on Amazon for just a few dollars more than F&S. Maybe someone who has experience with this item can chime in, but I'd guess for your needs this would be great. Besta luck!! Post more pics .
R. David Jain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #44
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did finally get a reactor, but so far I have not been successful with it dissolving CO2. It has been blowing bubbles and making my tank look like a soda bottle for the last week or so. On top of that, it had greatly reduced the flow of my Fluval FX5. I have been in touch with manufacturer/seller, and they sent another one in. I'm not naming the brand until I see how the replacement works (or does not work). I'll share my thought on how it works afterwards.

Here is a photo of the tank that I took this morning. It has been about a month since the tank was set up, and finally the water is crystal clear now with some nice growth.

P.S.: And, yes, by the way, I did change the aquascape a bit. I cut out a branch from the driftwood and placed it on its side. This way, I guess, it looks much better.

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 08-07-2013 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: Additional information.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #45
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Alot of people with bigger tanks, use a seperate pump for their co2 reactors so as to not cut down the flow of their filter. Just a thought.

Joshua
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
220 gallon planted tank, aquascape, co2, dirted tank, planted tank