"Kahawai" 12 gallon long - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #16
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

PTrader: (1/100%)

"Kahawai" 12 gallon long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimoumd View Post
Yeah it seems like the slope i was looking for is creating a pooling effect in the middle. im going to let the water levels recede a little bit and concentrate on misting a few times a day instead.

also curious about your use of excel in your misting. isnt the aquasoil overkill as it is? whats the reasoning behind it?
The excel solution is used for it's algacidal properties. Not sure what your referring to about overkill.
Eheim Pimp Club #540 Finnex Club Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 DBP Club 12G Rimless Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Default Update

GLA finally restocked their CalAquaLabs nano lily glass pipes so, ordered, received and placed at opposite ends of the tank for ventilation. Have increased misting to 2X daily because of venting and some of the sprigs appearing dry. Have observed roots being put down by some of the earlier plantings. Did more HC trimming in another tank and sprinkled additional sprigs on to the substrate. I will be trying out a different technique with the extra HC cuttings. Placed several "clumps" of cuttings throughout the tank adjacent to stones. Interested in seeing if separating sprigs or clumping cuttings has an effect in emersed HC growth. Has anybody have any experience with this?

Canister filter, inline CO2 diffuser & paintball tank have been obtained and awaiting restock of CO2 regulator (should be available just prior to tank submersion). Moving right along!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1321.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	118730  

Name:	IMG_1319.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	118738  

Eheim Pimp Club #540 Finnex Club Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 DBP Club 12G Rimless Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks

Last edited by BeastMaster; 04-04-2013 at 12:52 AM..
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Default DSM reboot

Realized that I've been slowly killing my cuttings with the diluted Excel solution that I've been misting with. The surviving cuttings are putting out small offshoots but the starting growth is too spaced out so, decided to sprinkle more HC cuttings over the substrate and put down a thin layer of AS powder (something I didn't do initally) over the cuttings and growth. Will be misting with straight tap water daily. The photo period for this tank will reset to 6 hrs "on", 4 hr "siesta", 6 hrs "on", 8 hrs "off".

The "clumping" technique was unsuccessful but that may have been due to the Excel misting. Did observe what appears to be oxidation on the surface of some of the seiryu stones (brownish color on some sections). Also found the start of some type of moss growth on one of the stones. We'll see what develops.

Have received the Aquatek CO2 regulator and assembled the canister intake and output lines and CO2 inline regulator/diffuser line. This is my 1st attempt at inline CO2 use. The mechanics are ready to roll but unfortunately will have to wait till the HC grows in sufficently to hold the substrate in position.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
andrewjohn007
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great looking scape! I think we may be flooding within a few weeks of each other, so it will be fun to watch the kids grow up together...

Being from Houston, the tap water here is pure crap. Not sure how yours is in the islands, but I have been using store bought RODI and saving my scratch in the meanwhile for a full RODI system.

If you would be so kind as to list out the full specs on your hardware, I would appreciate it as I am looking to replace an Eheim C02 set that I have been using without issue since 1996. Insane huh?

Good luck!
andrewjohn007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #20
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjohn007 View Post
Great looking scape! I think we may be flooding within a few weeks of each other, so it will be fun to watch the kids grow up together...

Being from Houston, the tap water here is pure crap. Not sure how yours is in the islands, but I have been using store bought RODI and saving my scratch in the meanwhile for a full RODI system.

If you would be so kind as to list out the full specs on your hardware, I would appreciate it as I am looking to replace an Eheim C02 set that I have been using without issue since 1996. Insane huh?

Good luck!
Thanks Andrew. I think your scape will probably flood well before mine. Want to keep the elevations created in my tank so, need to be patient and not flood till the HC has formed a strong root system and cover to hold the AS in place.

The water here on Oahu is not hard and good for plant growth. There's no need to add anything for aquatic plants except for periodic dosing with Excel to assist with algae control.

My hardware is listed at the beginning of this thread. My CO2 set-up uses a 20oz paintball canister, Aquatek mini regulator & check valve/bubble counter, a Atomic 12mm inline diffuser connected to a Cal Aqua nano lily pipe for dispersal. Of course I'll have to wait to see it in action. Any pics of your Ehiem CO2 set-up?

Your 12L looks good. Like the rockwork. Your substrate mixes are something I'm not familiar with? Are they custom made by other forum members? All I've ever used is the ADA prep stuff.

Last edited by BeastMaster; 07-22-2013 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #21
andrewjohn007
Algae Grower

Default Old School Soil and CO2

I totally missed the CO2 specs! Sorry about that. I just replanted 60-70% of my Glosso because I left it in small plugs of rock wool. Only two pots thankfully.

I used mineralized topsoil from a vendor in Alabama (Bamaplants) for my base layer (think Power Soil, but for $10). The organic matter from topsoil is removed through various rinse and dry cycles until just the inorganic minerals remain. I have seen tanks do very well with this in the past (in person) as well as on various forums here and elsewhere.

Then I capped it with Eco-Complete which is a pretty tried and true planted tank substrate from Carib-Sea. Many of our 12 Long friends have successfully grown lush carpets with this same substrate.

Thanks for the props! These tanks only get better with age.

So here is the 1996 Eheim regulator that I am replacing as the tank hasn't had a hydrostatic test since I've owned it and the regulator hasn't been used in about 5 years. Debating on going large on the regulator (two stage custom Victor or Smith) or rolling with an Aquatek. Thankfully I have some time to sort it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (5).JPG
Views:	34
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	178353  

Old 07-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #22
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Tank Hardware pic
Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #23
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

No new tank shots since aplril!?

Hows it growin over there
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #24
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
No new tank shots since aplril!?

Hows it growin over there
Sorry, tank scape looks pretty much the same due to the DSM restart. The bright idea of misting with diluted Excel solution was a big setback. The only change is the hardware hook-up. Hopefully the straight tap water misting will keep the HC growth on track. Flooding will have to wait till the HC is fully established to maintain the substrate elevations.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #25
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

What made you decide to not use bracing? Seems like itd save a ton of time?
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
What made you decide to not use bracing? Seems like itd save a ton of time?
Not sure what you mean by bracing? If you mean the suction cups for the tubing, check valve & inline diffuser, decided that the suction cups for the lily pipes (not visible in the hardware pic) is sufficent to hold the intake and output lines in place. If your talking about soil stablizing plastic strips, I didn't want to have exposed plastic liners & that stepped look later in the tank's evolution. Rockwork and established root network is the only soil bracing I wanted to use for this scape. May take longer but should look more natural.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #27
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Default Week 9 update

Took some perspective pics of the tank now in week 9 of DSM reboot period. Progressing ever so slowly but progressing nevertheless.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1585.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	204297  

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	204305  

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	204313  

Old 09-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #28
andrewjohn007
Algae Grower

Wow, what a lesson in patience!

Although your original intention may be to limit your groundcover (or even your tank) to one solitary species, you may want to try another one or two additional species just for insurance and experimental purposes. I found that my tank's environment doesn't lend itself to Glosso as well as HC and surprisingly seems to foster UG quite well. I may end up allowing the HC and UG battle it out after the Glosso is all but eviscerated. Darwinism at its finest... Who knows, your tank (tap water, lighting, substrate, etc.) may be a much more fertile breeding ground for a carpeting species other than HC and you wouldn't even know it...

(my apologies for the unsolicited advice)
Old 09-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #29
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjohn007 View Post
Wow, what a lesson in patience!

Although your original intention may be to limit your groundcover (or even your tank) to one solitary species, you may want to try another one or two additional species just for insurance and experimental purposes. I found that my tank's environment doesn't lend itself to Glosso as well as HC and surprisingly seems to foster UG quite well. I may end up allowing the HC and UG battle it out after the Glosso is all but eviscerated. Darwinism at its finest... Who knows, your tank (tap water, lighting, substrate, etc.) may be a much more fertile breeding ground for a carpeting species other than HC and you wouldn't even know it...

(my apologies for the unsolicited advice)
Tell me about it. I'm probably having to deal with the residual Excel soln in the AS. Hopefully the misting (2-3X weekly) with tap water will further dilute what's left. There has been growth and spreading of the individual cuttings so, I'm on the right track. Using individual cuttings (altough much, much slower coverage) instead of small clumps IMO should insure good root penetration and the desired substrate holding network that will keep the original tank elevations intact and prevent soil shifting. At least that's the plan. Comments are always welcome!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Default "Kahawai" 12 gallon long

Anxiety update.
The HC in the middle rear of the tank has taken hold and is slowly spreading out radially. Sections of HC from another project tank became available so, inserted plugs throughout the scape to speed up coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited by BeastMaster; 10-24-2013 at 07:42 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.