Justyn's 40g Breeder of Awesomeness !!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Justyn's 40g Breeder of Awesomeness !!!

I have been wanting a 40g breeder since a week after I purchased my 29g Aquarium. Lauralee recommended the 29g to me, it was my first jump into a planted aquarium after years of working with monster fish with big teeth, and it was a solid recommendation but the 40g just has amazing dimensions that allow me to get the Piranha that I have been eyeing for awhile. I finally bought one, the last one, at my Petco's $/gal sale this past Sunday. Wicked Excited for this build!

Lighting system: (Will be here mid next week)
http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-planted-tank/
I have wanted an LED light for a long time and I finally talked the wife into letting me get one. Hoping to get the Apex Controller for Xmas so I can have some simulated Thunder/Lightning!!!

Filters:
DIY UGF: Connected to a Marineland 350 (It is currently set up for Reverse UGF although I can configure to also be an intake if needed)
Link to the Build: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=372033

Eheim 2217: This has been my work horse since I got back into the hobby.

Equipment:
Inline UV Sterilizer
Inline Heater
Inline CO2 Diffuser
Koralina Powerhead

Substrate:
ADA Aquasoil I (I've had 2 extra bags of this forever but I just ended up using my used ADA Aquasoil from 29g. May add some new soil in shallow places.)

Pressurized C02:
Using my Ultimate CO2 setup from GLA. I have had it for 3 years now and it is awesome. Never fails.

Ferts:
I used to exclusively dose Rootmedic but now that Justin is taking a leave of absence I am looking for a new liquid fertilizer supplier

Flora:
Eriocaulon Parkeri (lots of it)
Blyxa Something
Crypt Nurii

Fauna:
Ruby Red Spilo (Once the tank is exactly how I want it since scaping will be infinitely more difficult with him/her in the tank)

Last edited by Finalplay10; 07-06-2013 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: update
Finalplay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tank is up, planted, and running. I had to switch my reversy UG filter to normal because it was making the water cloudy or so I thought. A few hours after switching the water is still cloudy. I have no idea why this is. Troubleshooting as we speak. Filters are as clean as they were the day I got them. Any ideas?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

i was thinking of doing something like that UGF and running co2 threw it. id prob only use air line but thought the plants might love getting co2 at the roots... maybe a bad idea i honestly have no idea.
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
bankruptjojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It works extremely well with the Marineland 350 Magnum powering it. I may bring it back to being reverse if I can prove this cloudy water issue isn't a result of it. I could see little air bubbles rising from the substrate as a result of the reverse UG filter pushing water through the substrate. Tying in the CO2 isn't something that I considered but it's a pretty solid idea. However, I am not sure if plants use their roots to take in CO2. I am pretty sure it is done through their leaves.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just read an article on bacterial blooms and have come to the conclusion that this is the most likely culprit for my cloudy water. The ADA AS that was on the bottom of my previous tank is now on the top and over time I am sure it accumulated a TON of organic matter. So by stirring it up I probably caused a bloom of heterotrophic bacteria and that is what I am seeing. Unfortunately this means that I need to switch my UGF back to reverse (this was my intention all along but I switched it to normal in a vain attempt to fix the problem) as the article I read stated that good aeration is key to beating a bacterial bloom I guess I will just wait it out and see if it goes away in a few days. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
JerSaint
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I look forward to seeing this tank progress. Post some pics and keep us up to date!
Eheim Pimp Club member #541
Nikon Pimp #087
JerSaint's 36 Gallon 1st Planted tank Journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...958&highlight=
JerSaint's 20 Long Gallons of Shrimpy Fun
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...841&highlight=
Profile Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...025&n=JerSaint
JerSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's a FTS of the cloudy water.

After I cleaned out my old 29g and removed all the plants I was able to split all of my plants quite a bit. I ended up with 130 Erio Parkeri, 8 Crypt Nurii (I started with one and now have many), and about a dozen Blyxa. I had a serious black algae issue on a lot of the leaves of my Parkeri so I had to trim them back quite a bit which is why they look so scrawny. I have no trouble growing these though so in a few weeks they will be nice and bushy again. They will make a really nice carpet once they have reestablished themselves.

I set my DIY UGF back to reverse so it is pushing water and O2 back through the substrate which was my original intention. This way I am hoping to both aerate the soil, keep solid waste from sinking and condensing in the bottom of the tank, and to eliminate the bacterial bloom that I currently have.

Last edited by Finalplay10; 07-05-2013 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: update
Old 07-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now that the cloudy water has begun to subside I was able to take a few tank shots to give you guys/gals an idea of what I have going on in here. As I stated in the original post this tank will house one Ruby Red Spilo so I didn't want to limit his/her swimming space by using a large hardscape or too many hills.

Note: The light on top of the tank is not the light I will be using. Just been using it while I wait for my LED's to be delivered.

FTS:

LTS:

RTS:

Hill of Nurii (Hill with 8 Crypt Nurii on it)... Really hoping this fills in nicely!

Last edited by Finalplay10; 07-06-2013 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: update
Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So roughly one week in and A LOT is going on with this tank... Basically I was very unsatisfied with how uneven the flow of my powerhead was (Koralia Nano I think...) So I went out and got the JBJ Oceanpulse Nano Kit. Did I need to go that far? Nope... But am I going to enjoy playing with all of the different flow options? Yup! On top of this I am currently building a DIY Auto Fertilizer Doser (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...273&highlight=) and still waiting for my LED light to come in (Some time next week I guess). Hoping to use my current Koralia Nano to produce a shimmer like effect in the tank by producing some movement in the surface water of the tank.

I also added my cleanup crew of 10x Amano Shrimp, 10 Otocinclus, & 3 Green Dragon Ancistrus.

Here are some pics to hold EVERYBODY over until I can get my hands on all of these different projects I am assembling. Thanks for Reading!

Green Ancistrus riding some Cholla wood while it becomes water logged:

Here is a FTS (Cholla wood is still getting water logged since I just placed it in last night):
Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I actually just pulled the cichlid cave out to paint it black. I wasn't happy with how much it visually stood out. The cholla wood is leeching a tad which is why the water is slightly yellowish in hue. After my auto doser disaster (I accidentally had it plugged in and the potentiometer was max'd which led to two empty fert bins) I did a 50% WC and everything is fine. Plants are all recovering well.

Last edited by Finalplay10; 07-16-2013 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Me LED system should be delivered today. I am pretty excited to get this system in finally. My wavemaker setup should be arriving shortly as well although the tracking on it appears to inaccurate. Either that or it has been sitting in CA for 4 days. Motor controllers for my DIY Auto Doser should be here end of the week. Can't wait to have all of these projects completed. Really excited with the direction of this tank.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Looking good!
Subscribed!
CheyLillymama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LED light showed up a few hours ago. Took 10 minutes to install. This thing is BRIGHT !!! Glad I got the manual dimmer. I have it set at 50% right now and it's still plenty bright. Wave maker shows up tomorrow and motor controller some time after Wednesday.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #14
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Feeding time... (This stone was covered in Repashy)

Old 07-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wavemaker arrived today and its awesome!!! I purchased the JBJ Oceanstream Kit w/ the nano powerheads (I was scared the larger versions would be too strong & they were $50 more expensive so nano it was). It switches which powerhead is on every 20 seconds (left on/right off... right on/left off). This system allows me to have nice continuous, non-overpowering, flow in my tank while using my koralia nano to cause movement on the surface of the tank (causes a shimmer effect in the tank from the LED's penetrating the moving surface water). Really quite a nice kit for roughly $80 on amazon.

Tomm. my motor controllers for the DIY Auto Fert Doser will be here. If I can get everything to work properly this aquarium will officially be completed, equipment wise, and ready to sit and mature... Beautifully hopefully. Here's a pic with the new LED's & Wavemaker system.

Still not sure I love the placement of the left piece of cholla wood. I haved moved it a dozen times and can't seem to find a place position that I like it in...