55 Gallon Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
borgie28
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

55 Gallon Planted Tank

So I just purchased a brand new 55 gallon today and need some suggestions on plants! I will be using a fluval 306 for filter, marineland 200watt heater, a aquatic life t5ho dual lamp 48" fixture and looking at getting a co2 system when money allows it. My substrate is going to be a mix. I'm going to use first layer pure laterite as the base then going to add in some ADA New Amazonian and cap it with Eco-complete planted substrate. Any thoughts on this substrate? I currently have a setup 29 Gallon aquarium that is planted and just don't have the room I want so expanding to the 55. My goal is to have a very heavy planted tank for community fish and shrimp's. I have some driftwood pieces that are soaking and will be taking pictures of them once they are done leaching tannins should be a couple days and try to get a good placement of them in the tank. I want to know what plants would work best for this setup and any recommendations on the aquascape. I know I want to attach some types of moss on the driftwood and would love a carpet of something just not sure what. I'm using the PPS-Pro Fert pack from green leaf aquariums in the 29 and seeing excellent results also adding in iron once a week, will transfer this all over to the 55. So if anyone has any advice on what plants to use and the best place to purchase plants at a reasonable price I would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Also will upload pictures later on when I have the tank on its stand and the black background on.
borgie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I would skip the Eco-complete. Also, the laterite will provide iron so be careful how much you dose in the water.
For plants, just about anything will work. I'm using HC, Crypt parva and S repens in the foreground. Blyxa japonica and misc crypts in the middle with various stems in the background. Personally, I think smaller leaved stem plants work better in a 55 gal. Rotalas, Bacopas, Hemianthus glomeratus, several of the Limnophilas also work well.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
bbqthis
Algae Grower

+1 on not capping Amazonia with eco-complete
bbqthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
borgie28
Algae Grower

Was going to more mix them together since its cheaper for me that way I have 2 9L bags and I don't think that will be enough..
borgie28 is offline   Reply With Quote