2 Gallon Fluval Spec
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

2 Gallon Fluval Spec

I just bought a new 2 gallon Fluval Spec for my betta, who got an upgrade from his one gallon tank with undergravel filter. I bought a nice healthy java fern to put in the tank with him. However, I have a couple of questions:

1. How long should I leave the light on in this tank? I know that java ferns are low light plants, but I assume they need some light. I have no idea what the wattage is on the included LED lamp, but it doesn't look too bright. I don't have a timer for this tank, so for now, I just plan on turning on the light when I get home and leaving it on until I go to bed. The tank will get about 5 hours of light.

2. What other easy maintenance plants can I put in the tank? My substrate consists of commercial river rocks, which are 2-3 times bigger than standard aquarium gravel. I could swap the river rocks for a small bag of finer substrate if necessary.

3. What other tank mates can I put in with my betta?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs0926 View Post
I just bought a new 2 gallon Fluval Spec for my betta, who got an upgrade from his one gallon tank with undergravel filter. I bought a nice healthy java fern to put in the tank with him. However, I have a couple of questions:

1. How long should I leave the light on in this tank? I know that java ferns are low light plants, but I assume they need some light. I have no idea what the wattage is on the included LED lamp, but it doesn't look too bright. I don't have a timer for this tank, so for now, I just plan on turning on the light when I get home and leaving it on until I go to bed. The tank will get about 5 hours of light.

2. What other easy maintenance plants can I put in the tank? My substrate consists of commercial river rocks, which are 2-3 times bigger than standard aquarium gravel. I could swap the river rocks for a small bag of finer substrate if necessary.

3. What other tank mates can I put in with my betta?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

I also have a spec with my betta in it. I can't give you any advice about the light thought because mine came without the light (discounted price). I also don't use the filter so my results may be much different than yours.

I would give an anubias a shot, maybe some mosses as well.

As for tank mates, i had ghost shrimp with my betta (in a 5g) for a while and he didn't mind them. when i switched him to my 2gSpec he still seemed to be ok but would nip at them occasionally
I think a 2g is too small for a betta to have any other fish friends. but that is just my opinion. someone else may think otherwise.
jbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbig View Post
I also have a spec with my betta in it. I can't give you any advice about the light thought because mine came without the light (discounted price). I also don't use the filter so my results may be much different than yours.

I would give an anubias a shot, maybe some mosses as well.

As for tank mates, i had ghost shrimp with my betta (in a 5g) for a while and he didn't mind them. when i switched him to my 2gSpec he still seemed to be ok but would nip at them occasionally
I think a 2g is too small for a betta to have any other fish friends. but that is just my opinion. someone else may think otherwise.
Thanks for the input. I really want to be able to put a ghost shrimp in with my betta to clean up after my betta. I guess I'll try it out and see how it works. I'll probably have to switch out my substrate though. I think the river rocks have too many gaps that would allow food to fall through. If all else fails, I may just throw in a small snail or two.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My wife just texted me to let me know that my betta (Benny) was dead. I'm completely bummed because this new tank was supposed to be an upgrade for him. I had him for a few months, and he seemed perfectly happy in his one gallon tank with UG filter. He had previously been in a one gallon bowl and did not do well there. After moving him to the one gallon filtered tank, he perked up quickly and got his color back.

I thought he'd love the upgraded tank, and I think he did enjoy the more spacious quarters. However, I think he was done in by the fact that the tank wasn't fully cycled. I didn't think this would be an issue because I used the same substrate, squeezed the filter floss I used with the old UG filter into the new filter and even added some Tetra Safestart (enough for a 10 gallon tank). I thought the tank was good to go, but in hindsight, I should've made sure the tank was cycled. Lesson learned...the hard way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1372709969061-V.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	167761  

Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs0926 View Post
My wife just texted me to let me know that my betta (Benny) was dead. I'm completely bummed because this new tank was supposed to be an upgrade for him. I had him for a few months, and he seemed perfectly happy in his one gallon tank with UG filter. He had previously been in a one gallon bowl and did not do well there. After moving him to the one gallon filtered tank, he perked up quickly and got his color back.

I thought he'd love the upgraded tank, and I think he did enjoy the more spacious quarters. However, I think he was done in by the fact that the tank wasn't fully cycled. I didn't think this would be an issue because I used the same substrate, squeezed the filter floss I used with the old UG filter into the new filter and even added some Tetra Safestart (enough for a 10 gallon tank). I thought the tank was good to go, but in hindsight, I should've made sure the tank was cycled. Lesson learned...the hard way.
Sorry to hear about your loss. That really is a bummer. When I first got this tank and put my betta in it he also had a close encounter with death. I think it may have been the filter flow honestly. I found him floating, pulled him right away, and put him in his original bowl. He perked up and recovered after a couple days. I now do not use the filter in this tank for that reason. I should have said that in my previous post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbig View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. That really is a bummer. When I first got this tank and put my betta in it he also had a close encounter with death. I think it may have been the filter flow honestly. I found him floating, pulled him right away, and put him in his original bowl. He perked up and recovered after a couple days. I now do not use the filter in this tank for that reason. I should have said that in my previous post.

That might've been it, but I did notice that the water was a bit cloudy this morning. I also now remember that I didn't rinse out the filter media before I added my dechlorinated water. I'm sure now that there probably was an ammonia spike that caused a bacteria bloom. It probably would've settled in day after the Safestart kicked in, but Benny couldn't handle it.

At any rate, I'm going to start over from scratch. I'm taking out the river rocks, which were too big to use as substrate anyway and replacing it with fine black gravel. I bought some anubias nana from Petsmart, which should do well in this tank. I figured that it would be better to go with low light plants for now since I'm not sure how many watts the light fixture has. I'm going to throw the java fern in my 20 gallon and hope that it really takes off there.

I've heard that water wisteria can adapt to low light conditions, so I'll try some of that in the 2 gallon tank. Finally, I'll throw a little bit of frogbit on top just to help get the water ready for whatever I decide to have inhabit the tank. I'll bury a flourish tab deep in the substrate and dose with flourish and flourish excel weekly. It'll be interesting to see how all the plants do with this new setup. I'll make sure they are doing well before I even think of adding any fish.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #7
sugarcube
Algae Grower

Thats unfortunate. He looked like a pretty fish.

I think you should get a ammonia test kit this time around to make sure. Also be a good idea to get a heater if you don't have one. My betta lived in 1.5 gallon but he was always just sitting in one spot and kept getting popeye over and over again. So I upgraded him to a 2.5 gallon and bought him a heater. The heater made a huge difference, he got super active and the popeye went away for good. Here is a blog post I found about betta setups.

If your still looking for plants, you might want to consider some cabomba. I have some in my tank and I only had them for about a week but there already lots and lots of new leaves.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have this same tank on my desk at work. I keep a betta and some MTS ( snails) in it. I do have a heater cause they keep the ac on full blast it seems like. For plants I keep a java fern and some various anubias in it. Check out this thread for some more options http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=138344
Psycofc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree with sugarcube about the heater. Definitely makes a difference. My betta became much more active after adding one.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think a heater is necessary right now because I live in Southern California, and the water in my tanks has consistently been in the 76-80F range. However, I will definitely pick a heater up before it starts to get cold. My betta definitely was lethargic when I had him in an uncovered one gallon bowl, but he perked up once he was put in the covered and filter one gallon tank. At any rate, it was a bummer having to explain to my kids that daddy screwed up royally.

However, we're definitely all excited about doing something new with the tank. Last night, I did a water change and took out the river stones and java fern, which was too big for the tank. I rinsed out some new black gravel and put it in the tank and buried a couple of Flourish tabs deep in the substrate. I planted a couple of anubias nanas and made sure to leave the rhizome exposed to the water. I also threw in a few stalks of water wisteria because I heard that they can adapt to low light conditions. I'm hoping the water wisteria and the single frogbit plantlet will be able to aid in cycling the tank. I dosed the water column with Flourish and Flourish Excel, and I have the lights running on a 10 hour cycle broken up into two 5 hour blocks.

I'm going to wait to see some new growth on the plants before I even consider adding any livestock. The idea of putting RCS in this tank is very appealing to me...
Old 07-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycofc1 View Post
I have this same tank on my desk at work. I keep a betta and some MTS ( snails) in it. I do have a heater cause they keep the ac on full blast it seems like. For plants I keep a java fern and some various anubias in it. Check out this thread for some more options http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=138344
Thanks for showing me this thread. It will definitely help me to figure out what I want to do with the tank.