ADA 60P|Ecoxotic E-series| PurpleMonkeyDishwasher - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #61
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I should start a plant deficiency blog, because I think at one point I got all of them. I wanted brighter colours and bigger leaves but my plants look really unhealthy.

Q's

1.Is KH 6 too high of a value?
2.How does one know when to use RO water?
3.Why are roots growing at the stem and growing OUT of the ADA AquaSoil? Is this because of shallow substrate?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #62
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you did an h202 flash on the tank, some plants might melt a little bit, this will often show in the first week after. It looks like you have a lack of c02(old leaves falling off), remember as your tank grows in, and your plant mass increases, so to does the c02 demand. often when I first set up a tank, I find myself slowly increasing the c02 once a week to make sure im meeting the c02 demand of the plants as the demand increases. This is a good reason to wait for livestock, its easy at this point to over do the c02, but even easier to under dose.

Kh of 6 is fine, if you want to lower it then you can mix 50/50 ro and tap to bring it down.

Whats the gh? it helps to get a city water report, you may have a good gh count, with plenty of calcium, but lacking magnesium, you can try dosing mgs04 for a week and see if things improve. Just remember to do one thing at a time. try increasing the c02, give the tank a week or 2 to respond, and go from there. make sure your dosing good amounts of npk and micros and that should rule out most nutrient issues.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #63
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

I was messing around with fertilizers and here are the results, my conclusion is at the end.

5 days ago, Narcosis of the leaf blade, curling of the leaves.

Today, Narcosis is still present, curling has improved.

Various stages of "older" leaves I trimmed, all from different stems.

Curling was fixed, no idea how.

Start of photo period.

One hour into photo period.

Smaller and compact growth of leaves, compare to longer and wider leaves.

Conclusion - No idea.

PH - 6.6
KH - 6
GH - 9 - 10
KNO3 - 10 ppm

The AquaSoil is 2 months old so I'm covered for the Nitrogen, I believe my problem is a shortage of trace and minerals. I don't think they are enough for the photo-period. Pearling is constant and drop checker is lime green, I can up the Co2 but I firmly believe I'm pumping a lot already. I looked at my city's water and it has a good Ca and Mg ratio. It also has nitrate a low mg/l with no phosphate. The thing that it lacks are trace. It has zero baron among other trace minerals. I have been upping my Envy dosage (trace+micro) but I see far better result from Flourish, I also use flourish in my other tanks. Thing is, I'm afraid to dose too much Flourish because it contains a bunch of other things I already have, like Iron.

Q's

1. Can higher KH cause plants to not absorb some nutrients? Or does this lay more so with high PH?
2. I see a lot of new roots growing at the node of stems plants, what could be the cause of this?
3. White roots are starting to creep up from the substrate, did I damage the root system when I planted? Is it because my substrate is too low?
4. If high KH is not a problem, how come people use R/O and aim for lower KH?
5. What are plants lacking if their leaves aim downwards?

6. Is there such a thing as light "blenching" where as the light source is too close to the plant?

Last edited by FlyingHellFish; 06-17-2013 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: Added Q's
Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #64
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Maybe i missed it but whats your dosing regime? Also what lighting?

starving your plants for nutrients is sort of redundant if your already having issues with growth, if your lacking one nutrient, then reducing others wont give us the missing culprit.

never assume co2 is correct because the drop checker is green. There are to many variables that come to play, is there enough c02 at lights on? hows the c02 distribution, do some plants grow better in one side of the tank but poorly on another side? surface scum can trap c02 in and keep oxygen out and has a huge effect on growth.

Do some research on kh, check out barrreport as there are many threads on the topic. In my applied practice with kh, keeping a stable kh is far more important than anything, as you lower or raise kh, this effects ph as well as c02, so it is important, but more important to be stable.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #65
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Doing Seachem's Aquavitro line with dry P dosing. Basically a lean EI dosing, the thing is, I change 10 - 20% water every 3 days because of this stupid Blue green algae. My HC Cuba grows fine, I'm just constantly cutting off the pieces with BGA or nuking (not doing that again) patches of the carpet with peroxide.

If AquaSoil has a steady supply of Nitrogen, and I have 5 ppm of it, how come I'm always short the next day. I can try bumping it up to 10 - 20 ppm but what the point of buying AquaSoil if I'm dosing the nutrients anyways.

I started looking at other things like KH, maybe GH. Co2 is high, trust me on this. I got two diffuser with a fine mist comparable to atomizer (actually think it's better), I got a 2215 ehiem that rockets my lamp eye killi fry across the tank if they dare venture too far up in the stream (they love the current!), so I got no idea.

There no stun growth, I get growth, I get a huge amount of growth. It's just the colour and structure of the plants that is not normal. It's almost like I'm pushing them too hard.

Liquid Fertilizers a-la Aquavitro
N:P ratio is 1:5 a-la Aquavitro's recommended values.
KH:6
GH:9 - 10
PH:6.6 -6.8

It looks like a snow storm in my tank with all the Co2 mist flying around. Maybe the fertilizers are binding together and blocking re-uptake.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #66
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

=========

=========

=========

BGA is tough.... going to go the medication route.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #67
MyMonkey
Algae Grower

Looking great there. Nice setup.
MyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #68
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Monkey, I like your User name, it goes well with the name of my tank. Does anyone even know where Purple Monkey Dishwasher came from?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #69
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Simpsons.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #70
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

I've yet to disprove that curling leaves= CO2 issue.
Light/ferts are there it seems to me.
Your HC is a good indicator also.
The higher KH is not helping matters.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #71
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

HC Cuba :

I have a really bad case of BGA, it was spreading under the HC carpet so I did what any sane person would do. I up my nitrate level and spot treated it with Peroxide. Nope. I added too much and melt a few patches of HC. Then I realize how bad the tubing and filter was. I remove the entire tubing and clean the filter.

I'm doing the EM treatment and added extra flow. BGA stop spreading my rocks, all of the slime is gone but there are few HC Cuba leaves with BGA.

Do I have to cut off the infected part? What I notice is the way the plants react with BGA. The infected part melts and the top floats off, I guess due to lack of light.

How do I remove BGA when it is under the HC Cuba carpet?

=====

=====

=============
Here a side shot of the tank. The Carpet is growing great, I just had to continually cut off the BGA infected parts. I'm hoping the EM treatment will work.

=====

=============
Growth difference

This is the result of changing difference levels of doses. In my quest to battle BGA, I pretty much went all over the spectrum of "fertilizing". This pretty much sum up the mistake of "chasing" a particular deficiency.

Notice the insanely large size of the leaf as compared to the much smaller size. I have to look back on my notebook for the fertilizing dosage, I believe it was higher KNO3.

=======

Again: Chasing the numbers....

6 days ago:

Tonight:

Has anyone never try to induce deficiencies for aqua-scaping? Bigger leaf vs smaller vs compact vs spread. Twisted growth around a tree. It's one thing to grow plants well, completely another to actually control it's appearance.

FTS:

========
Old 07-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #72
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

=======
Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #73
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0live View Post
Simpsons.
Yes it came from the Simpsons, but where did my name come from?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #74
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Check out what I caught my Otos catfish doing.... the look on his/her face says it all.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #75
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

How you get the clean single stem look? Do you replant the cut stems? I can't get the height to even out.

=======

=======

BGA has not return since the EM treatment, *knock on wood. I decide to keep the Aqueon HOB for the added flow. Originally bundle with a 20 gallon long tank that is no longer in use, the Aqueon has a very powerful flow. It's actually a bit too much, I had to install the plastic overflow. And no, there is no out-gasing of Co2, I keep the water level higher than the plastic add on.

Q's -

1. How do you properly trim DHG without melting the blades? I notice that the trim blades usually always yellow and die.

2. How do you get the green colour back in "red" stem plants? I want some of the leafs of my Alternanthera Reineckii 'Pink' Roseafolia.

Check this out, the Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides is trying to reach the HC Cuba.

Pic July 9th

=====
Pic July 11th

Tags
ada 60p matheson