Black 10 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
Tvadna
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

The addition of the CO2 diffusion method is really bolstering growth.

May 20

Tvadna is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
jart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
Does anyone have any advice on curing stem plants of the roots they sprout out at the nodes? I love the red ludwigia but the extra roots really detract from the plant.
No. I really don't think there is anything you can do to stop the plant from doing that (other than just breaking them off when they form).

Are you still keeping just the endlers and shrimp?
You are getting some really good growth. Nice pics.
I'm looking to set up a 10 gallon with a Hagen Elite. But it will have just plants, no critters, hence no filter per se (just the Elite for CO2). Hopefully I will have enough circulation.

I agree water sprite would get crazy big in a short time in a 10 gallon
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #18
Tvadna
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart View Post
No. I really don't think there is anything you can do to stop the plant from doing that (other than just breaking them off when they form).

Are you still keeping just the endlers and shrimp?
You are getting some really good growth. Nice pics.
I'm looking to set up a 10 gallon with a Hagen Elite. But it will have just plants, no critters, hence no filter per se (just the Elite for CO2). Hopefully I will have enough circulation.

I agree water sprite would get crazy big in a short time in a 10 gallon
I am still keeping the Endlers, after a die off from a DIY paintball CO2, I switched to snakeskin, I would take a picture but they're too quick. Also reordered some really nice shrimp to replace some die off from them as well.

The Hagen Elite mini filter is very impressive for its size, I'm sure you can get enough flow with one in a 10. I thought the flow was too strong for my 10 so I dialed it all the way down. Curious to see how yours turns out, keep me updated.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #19
Tvadna
Planted Member

June 09 - just before pulling all of the water sprite and doing a trim.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #20
Tvadna
Planted Member

June 11 - post trim
Same lighting as before but with out the cover, it looks a lot brighter.

Removed all of the water sprite. It just blocks too much light.

Trimmed the red ludwigia. It was like pulling fruit by the foot.. I replanted a few side shoots and snipped a lot of the extra roots.

I also pulled a cantaloupe sized portion of dwarf baby tears that I had just tossed in the back when i got it and it was golf ball sized.

My two moss varieties have grown from golf ball to three softball sized and one was removed for a separate project.

This trim is the best thing to make the the tank look better in a while. I may have to start trimming more often. It looks brighter and appears to have a layout again.

The strangest thing I have found was 3 new varieties of plants growing that I never planted. One appears to be asian ambulia and the other is all over and I have no idea what it is.. its thin and delicate with long thin leaves and a branching stem.. I'll have to post pics. The third appears to be a small ruffled leaved crypt species. I will be taking pics because this is an interesting plant.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #21
Tvadna
Planted Member

Here is one of the shrimp. More importantly, it shows one of the mystery species that appeared in my tank. (it may have came in with the shrimp order.. but there are at least 3 of these mystery species)

It's the stem plant in the background, right hand side of the photo between the long green vertical leaves and the red leaf. If it helps, the stems are a bit redish.

Does anyone know what this plant is?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
jart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are you using the sponge on the output of the Mini Elite? I am, and I'm not getting great flow. I may take it off tonight and see how the CO2 is dispersed.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #23
Tvadna
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
How deep is that substrate?
Substrate ranges from 1" in the front to 1.5-2" in the back i'm guessing
Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
Tvadna
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart View Post
Are you using the sponge on the output of the Mini Elite? I am, and I'm not getting great flow. I may take it off tonight and see how the CO2 is dispersed.
I have the sponge right where it belongs on the mini elite and the flow is turned all of the way down. The only modification I have made is taking a screw driver to remove one of the slots on the side to allow an airline to be jammed in under the impeller. I did stuff cotton from a q-tip into the end of the airline though so the bubbles should be fairly small when they hit the impeller.

Since using the mini elite, my drop checker is a consistent light green and my plants are producing little bubble streams of oxygen. Two thumbs up on the mini elite, I just ordered my third one....
Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #25
Tvadna
Planted Member

June 27

Following the trim a few weeks ago along with the correct CO2 dosing, the dwarf baby tears are carpeting nicely.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #26
Tvadna
Planted Member

Can anyone Identify these two plant varieties for me?

The circled yellow one should be easy as its everywhere in my tank and its pretty clear to see.

The orange circled one was difficult to photograph because its location in my tank. It is growing similar to a small crypt. in that it is a rosette plant. The one thing that appears different then a crypt is the leaf structure. If you can't see clearly from the picture, they're somewhat lobed.

Can anyone help me identify these plants? They must have came in as extras in a plant order....

Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #27
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

The yellow looks like Stargrass and the orange is Hygrophila pinnatifida.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #28
Tvadna
Planted Member

I have never heard of Hygrophila pinnatifida but after looking it up, I am convinced you're correct. Not an easy call to make from the picture either. Stargrass seems to be spot on as well.

Thanks fishboy. I may have to challenge you with another in a few days if I can't look it up...
Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #29
Tvadna
Planted Member

Trimmed red ludwigia again

July 15

Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
Tvadna
Planted Member

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my tank? Better photos or close up shots?

Would the foreground look better if I trimmed it like a lawn to make it more uniform? It is a mixture of 80% dwarf baby tears and 20% microsword. I'm fairly sure I can mow down the baby tears but does the microsword recover if it is cut like a blade of grass?