40g Low Tech Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
dadsoldtruck
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

40g Low Tech Tank

A little about me... I've been keeping fish since I was 18 (which sadly is more than 10 years ago, boy does time fly) In that time I've kept freshwater community, Agressive (loved my green terrors), Pond/Aquaponics, Saltwater fish only (mostly Stingrays) and my 40g Reef which I had for 4 years. I recently just sold it as it was pretty maxed out on space and I need a project to do while my better half is away for the next 6 months. So my plan is to setup a low tech planted tank as it seems more of my style.

Specs:
Filter: Rena xp4 (if it doesn't leak as it was in the fish box for 3 years)
Heater: 300w glass heater
Substrate: Humbolt Earth Potting Soil (seperated out perlite and bark) mixed with sand over beach pebble base, capped with all purpose sand
Lighting: Custom 3528 SMD LED Strip lighting (Should be here today!!)
Plants: Not too sure yet... I know I'm thinking of a hygro, and some dwarf hairgrass, but I need to spend some time looking around at what I like and how it will fit into my aquascape.
Inhabitants: 25 neon tetras telling me to hurry up so they can move in (thinking of getting more as petstupid is having a $1 neon tetra sale you can't beat)

Now for pictures (sorry they are tablet pictures)
First layer of large stones, egg shells (great for calcium. I use them in my aquaponics all the time) and a light sprinkle of Iron Chelate

Was going to use the soil to shape the substrate, but changed my mind. Used a small beach pebble for base of the shape

Soil in the water. All the perlite and bark floated on the surface

The mud I was left with after I poured off the water

Pebbles capped in 1" of soil mixed with sand

Last edited by dadsoldtruck; 06-28-2013 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: wrong link for photos
dadsoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
dadsoldtruck
Algae Grower

Starting to lay the sand in. Can't finish rinsing sand till it cools down a bit as it is 100 degrees today. But this is how far I got. I placed some strips of water bottle to keep the hills in place. Then it will be on to cutting the Mazanita as I seem to have enough to do my 200g if I wanted to.

Before trimming the bottles down.

Sand going in

Side view

An't wait for my LEDs to get here so I play with them!!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
dadsoldtruck
Algae Grower

So still tossing around the idea if these LEDs are going to work or not. But the tank is now filled with water, filter is running (I couldn't believe it didn't need new gaskets.. knock on wood) and my wood is floating in the tank. Half of it actually already sank, the rest should go in a couple of days. Plants are ordered as well. I'm so very very excited!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.