72 Gallon Fluval Profile experiment from the start!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
MyMonkey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

72 Gallon Fluval Profile experiment from the start!

I wanted to document this tank from the start. I had researched high and low for a custom tank that matched our contemporary style home and discovered not many choices frankly. I had planned out a custom system from a local aquarium pro and the cost was exorbitant (Guy wanted $5,000 just for the stand!!!) to say the least. At the last minute, the wife and I both agreed that we liked the looks of this setup and I went for it! Not quite the 6 foot length I wanted but it will suffice I am sure.

Well, here she is:

Still need a bit more scaping and many more plants but this was my first in a series. I need a large rock or stack of rocks on the right for some balance. This tank is one of the coolest overall looking I have ever seen. Aside from my terrible scaping! Thanks again for the input.

Specs=
Tank: Fluval Profile 1000
Flora: Lace Java Fern Windelov(Microsorum pteropus), Hydrocotyle leucocephala Brazilian Pennywort, Anubias Frazeri tall, Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)

Big ole driftwood.

Filtration: Fluval 406. As recommended.

Lighting: 4x39 watt. Will monitor photo period closely to determine best route. May run low watts at first with one fixture then add the other.

Under Cabinet: Drain and water line. I have still a bit of work to do here as the drain line does not work flawlessly. The water line is great but still has to be heated before addition to the tank!

Still on the fence about CO2!! Ugh!!! The plants I have thus far are low / mod light. I do want some tall plants though. Still uncertain.

Any feedback or advice welcome as I am still new to this.
MyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice start

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

what are your plans for the scape and layout - not to mention the fish you eventually will put in it once it is cycled?

you are thinking about co2? what is your lighting too anyway?

I would say you ought to consider more substrate so you can rake it with some sloping variances.

You need more driftwood I am thinking your tank would look good with mopani because of your dark substrate and size or manzanita branch wood (some people sell some great manzanita driftwood on here, eg: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194392 ) and probably could use some stones as well but I guess it depends on the look you are going for... and probably could start with a lot more plants.

good work on getting that big tank all setup, good luck with making some more decisions and work
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
MyMonkey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice start
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
what are your plans for the scape and layout - not to mention the fish you eventually will put in it once it is cycled?

you are thinking about co2? what is your lighting too anyway?

I would say you ought to consider more substrate so you can rake it with some sloping variances.

You need more driftwood I am thinking your tank would look good with mopani because of your dark substrate and size or manzanita branch wood (some people sell some great manzanita driftwood on here, eg: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194392 ) and probably could use some stones as well but I guess it depends on the look you are going for... and probably could start with a lot more plants.

good work on getting that big tank all setup, good luck with making some more decisions and work
I agree on all fronts. I too was thinking of adding more substrate to add some depth to the rear. Though it is about 3 inches up front and 4 in the rear now. I have two more bags just waiting for me.

The manzanita in that thread looks great! The stones in there are excellent too. I was thinking of one large stone on the right but a manzanita branch may work as well. Decisions decisions!

On fish, I will likely start with some simple red wag platys. My son loves those and they have good color for the wife, from there we shall see. Plants though is where I will expand first of course! I have an order coming from dustinsfishtanks/aquatic jungle I think it's called. That guy is great on Youtube!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
MyMonkey
Algae Grower

More plants added yesterday as well as FISH!! Added 5 red wag platys. I also received my order from Aquatic Jungles/Dustins fish tanks.

10 Stems of Jungle Val
5 Stems of Dwarf Sag
5 Stems of Rotalla
5 Leaves on a Java Fern
1 Anubias with over 5 leaves

I have no idea what I am doing with the aquascape. I really just added things where I thought they would fit. I had this big plan but once I started I was lost! LOL

Tank cycled quickly with addition of the bio wheel from my other tank. I Still have some plants to stake down or tie down etc. I may use some weights of some type as well. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

VERY NICE! I'm jealous of that water line and drain under the tank. Very good idea!
BriDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
bbrackeen
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriDroid View Post
VERY NICE! I'm jealous of that water line and drain under the tank. Very good idea!
I agree, that is awesome!

Quote:
Still on the fence about CO2!! Ugh!!! The plants I have thus far are low / mod light. I do want some tall plants though. Still uncertain.
If you have the funds, go fully automated, its awesome. Get your KH right, then pretty much turn a dial to what you want your PH to be based on the KH/PH/CO2 chart. Its wonderfully simple once setup.

Great looking tank!
bbrackeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Stella Blue
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Oh... Very Nice Aquarium!!

I love the Fluvals.... welcome to the club

I'd get the Java Fern tied to driftwood, it'll make a very nice centerpiece when it fills in!

Have you thought about changing one of the T5 bulbs to add a little different light spectrum to the mix?

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
MyMonkey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriDroid View Post
Thanks! Benefit of building out house from scratch I suppose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrackeen View Post
I agree, that is awesome!

If you have the funds, go fully automated, its awesome. Get your KH right, then pretty much turn a dial to what you want your PH to be based on the KH/PH/CO2 chart. Its wonderfully simple once setup.

Great looking tank!
Thank you so much. Any idea what setup is the automated version. Found a link to one on amazon previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Blue View Post
Oh... Very Nice Aquarium!!

I love the Fluvals.... welcome to the club

I'd get the Java Fern tied to driftwood, it'll make a very nice centerpiece when it fills in!

Have you thought about changing one of the T5 bulbs to add a little different light spectrum to the mix?

Had not thought of a change in spectrum. However, the light is quite blueish. They were included one 6500 K and one 10000k bulb on each fixture. Seems I could replace one 10000K with a 6500? Not certain what is best though?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
MyMonkey
Algae Grower

Is this one good? Imagine I would need a 5 lb cylinder and tubing as well. Any other to be considered?
http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-AQUATEK...I1Y1NZPNAIYX2Z
Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
sdscotty

I just got one of these! I'm super excited to set it up. How are you liking it? I was wondering how many pounds of gravel you used? Trying to plan mine out. Thanks for the post!
sdscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
MyMonkey
Algae Grower

I think I used 6 bags of EcoComplete black. Not positive though. It has been some time since I had an update. I have been struggling to get rid of hair algae. Unfortunately it came in as a guest on some plants I ordered! Ahhh.. This stuff is nasty!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #13
MyMonkey
Algae Grower

Well, I have been struggling with Hair Algae! This stuff sucks! I have reduced the photoperiod in hopes that it will go away. Seems to be subsiding. No new fish added but the platys are prolific. Short lived. Moreso than I recall but I was young the last time I had them.

Considering looking for an SAE to help rid me of the algae!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #14
MyMonkey
Algae Grower

Well, it was hard fought match with the hair algae but I have prevailed! WOOHOO! Without a high level of detail the hair algae attached to and resulted in removal of a portion of all plants and some plants entirely. Eventually, I removed the big chunk of driftwood and boiled it. I then added 4 Siamese Algae eaters. True ones and they made quick work of it along with some manual removal of the longer portions. I then added the best looking Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami, Trichogaster lalius to the tank a few weeks ago. It seems to be doing well. Man is he hard to get a good photo of though! Took a trip and used a fish feeder and all was well. This past weekend I let the wife pick some fish. We returned home with some great looking Yellow and black mollies and 4 Rummy Nose Tetras. They seem to be doing well. The male of the Mollies has a yellow tail and is great looking.

Without further delay: FTS

Finally getting some growth again.

Female 1

Thanks.