Co2 Injection what method do you prefer?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 06-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Co2 Injection what method do you prefer?

What do you guys prefer?

Using a reactor attached to a canister to dissolve co2?

or just putting on a glass bell diffuser and straight into the tank?

I have a diy reactor using pvc that im currently using...only down side is since its not clear pvc i cant see if co2 is actually even going in or not...only thing i can rely on is the bubble counter...if anything the reactor is slowing down my GPH rate in which water returns due to the fact that it has to push through a 12" chamber thats 3" diameter...i can try to shorten the length of the return tube but it would only be about 6" and would be a waste to cut a great looking new fluval tube just to get 6" off...
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I had diffusers and got sick of the bubbles and them clogging up. A week ago I made a cerges reactor using a clear filter housing, and now I'd never go back to a diffuser if I could help it. No bubbles. Never clogs. Less crap in the tank.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aheartlessfish View Post
What do you guys prefer?

Using a reactor attached to a canister to dissolve co2?

or just putting on a glass bell diffuser and straight into the tank?

I have a diy reactor using pvc that im currently using...only down side is since its not clear pvc i cant see if co2 is actually even going in or not...only thing i can rely on is the bubble counter...if anything the reactor is slowing down my GPH rate in which water returns due to the fact that it has to push through a 12" chamber thats 3" diameter...i can try to shorten the length of the return tube but it would only be about 6" and would be a waste to cut a great looking new fluval tube just to get 6" off...
pushing water through an extra 12" of 3" tube is not slowing down your water flow. The length of the tubing does not matter.
Bandit1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
pushing water through an extra 12" of 3" tube is not slowing down your water flow. The length of the tubing does not matter.
O really? thats new to me haha...i heard the longer your tube is the less flow...but good to know. Which method is preferred though?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

"Preferred" is hard to answer, since it's a preference. Everyone has their own. Mine is the inline reactor for a couple different reasons.

The large diameter of the reactor section will slow down the flow inside that particular section, which is what you need to keep the air inside that section. If you didn't make that section larger to slow the flow down, it wouldn't work, it would just blow the co2 bubbles into the tank. Slowing the flow in that section does not affect your overall rate. After the water goes back into the normal sized return, the flow is pushed back up to it's original rate (or pretty close to it).

What can affect the flow rate when you add stuff to your plumbing like that is the number and the degree of the bends. Those will generally be minimal though, unless you have a real fetish for a lot of right angles to get you connected.
Bandit1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

I see what your saying.

Maybe i should just redo the hosing just to put myself at ease....sometimes i think my hose connection is leaking or something but thats just me...again having the reactor be pvc, sucks not seeing whats going on
Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Quote:
Not according to basic fluid mechanics Friction is everywhere, even on the insides of tubes/ pipes...

But what causes the most flowrate loss is likely the extra turns that the water has to go through to get through the reactor.

I, and many others, have had problems with gassing fish using reactors... Not my personal favorite.

I personally prefer seeing the microbubbles flying around the tank. Looks like a snow globe and is easy to visualize that CO2 is going into the tank, though diffusers are a pain to bleach every so often.

I still like them though. Have never used a cerges reactor, though they look pretty cool.

I just try to get as many tiny bubbles near as much flow as possible in the tank. Disperses the CO2 pretty well.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
TorontoPlantMan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like to use a Marineland MaxiJet powerhead because it has a special inlet to allow an airline into the powerhead which I simply attach my DIY CO2 line into. It does an amazing job at dispersing the CO2 throughout the entire tank. I'm just running a small DIY setup for my 20 gallon.

If you look at the attached picture you can see in one of them the CO2 throughout the entire tank.

Here's a link to the powerhead.

http://www.marineland.com/Products/a...tion-pump.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130630-00530.jpg (144.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130629-00528.jpg (110.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130629-00527.jpg (130.3 KB, 7 views)
TorontoPlantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (108/100%)

You should put that co2 line directly into the powerhead intake. You will get much more from your DIY co2 they way. That's how I do it on my smaller tanks also, with very tiny bubbles getting chopped up by the impeller.

I myself use a Rex style reactor on larger tanks. The only bubbles I see in the tank are from the pearling plants. That's the way I like it.

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
TorontoPlantMan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
You should put that co2 line directly into the powerhead intake. You will get much more from your DIY co2 they way. That's how I do it on my smaller tanks also, with very tiny bubbles getting chopped up by the impeller.

I myself use a Rex style reactor on larger tanks. The only bubbles I see in the tank are from the pearling plants. That's the way I like it.
I'm not too sure what you mean by put it "directly" into the powerhead intake? It's already has a built in air line intake in it so you don't need to shove the tubing through the bottom mesh part like most people do. Also what's a "rex style reactor" ? I saw your previous thread on CO2 mist VS rex style and you said you were doing mist not rex style
TorontoPlantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

i think he means put the co2 tubing into the intake before it gets sucked into the impeller...the inlet attached to the output tube doesnt cut the co2 it just pushes it out at a fast rate
Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (108/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoPlantMan View Post
I'm not too sure what you mean by put it "directly" into the powerhead intake? It's already has a built in air line intake in it so you don't need to shove the tubing through the bottom mesh part like most people do. Also what's a "rex style reactor" ? I saw your previous thread on CO2 mist VS rex style and you said you were doing mist not rex style
I used to mist and still do on smaller tanks but once I switched to a reactor and seen the tank without bubbles, I will never go back on a 40 gallon or larger tank.

With smaller tanks and DIY co2, it works great.

I beleive the place you are placing the tube was meant to just suck o2 in the tank for more o2 in the water.

Nothing wrong with that but you could dissolve much more co2 in the tank if you allow the impeller to "chop" the co2 bubbles up first.

Quote:
i think he means put the co2 tubing into the intake before it gets sucked into the impeller...the inlet attached to the output tube doesnt cut the co2 it just pushes it out at a fast rate
Correct.

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think id pay a few extra bucks for a clear reactor...anyone know of someone who sells them cheap?...Only person i can think of on top of my head is rex gregg.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Length and/or elevation equal pressure loss *period* may not be much in some cases. but surface area equals friction equals back pressure equals less flow.... the term is "head loss"
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
I think id pay a few extra bucks for a clear reactor...anyone know of someone who sells them cheap?...Only person i can think of on top of my head is rex gregg.
I got this clear filter housing for my cerges reactor for only $14: OMNIFilter Whole House Filter System. Menards is local to me, so I didn't have to pay shipping.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote