Excellent article on today's youth: - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-16-2004, 10:35 PM   #16
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm waiting for the day that kids starting having sex when they're in the birth ward! Sometimes it looks to me like that is where we're headed.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2004, 02:27 AM   #17
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

*deleted*

^iMp^
^iMp^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:39 AM   #18
Geo
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Geo Send a message via MSN to Geo

On a side note, it was asked eariler of World Net Daily was sorta a Christian website.

From my experiences on them, they are a heavily Christian influenced site, called even a bit fundamentalist on some subjects that I have come across in the past.

That being said, I don't agree with the article all too much, but I also tended to be a bit different than my classmates throughout my school years.

I also wear a medallion as a bit of personal reflection, as the images reflect me, not just because I want to look cool.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:43 PM   #19
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

I found myself taking issue with the author for immediately criticizing the cousin who wore a necklace, with no reflection on character beyond that outward appearance. It was pretty shallow of him, and reflects a paranoia of anyone who seems to be different.

Oh, isn't that the entire basis of peer pressure? Rejection of anyone who is different? Funny how a person who is so very quick to practice that is so terrified of the power of it when used by their children away from their control.

And painting the world as a dangerous, frightening place is critical to keeping their children in their control.

It is hard to ever trust your kids with exercising control over their own lives if they have never had control placed in their own hands.

IMO, the author of this article missed a chance to demonstrate a very important lesson by demonizing that cousin because of his appearance. He ought to have embraced that kid, had lunch with him, tried to learn what was good about him and what he might have been searching for if indeed he was in a group of ill repute and tried to befriend him to offer him a glimpse of a wholesome Christian family, with moral values that are enriching.

But, instead he painted this kid as dangerous and used that to enforce his own power over his child. MIO, that way is a very dangerous path... for perhaps, one day, somehow, that child will learn that he was told a lie by his father, and EVERYTHING the father has said will become suspect.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 03:04 PM   #20
Geo
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Geo Send a message via MSN to Geo

I just want to add (on the note of Christian overtones) This is one of the few articles which I have recently seen that actually painted the Boy Scouts of America in a poisitive light - since they admitted to basically being a discriminitory organization against gays so long ago.

Almost makes me sad to admit that at one time I was a Boy Scout after spending quite a few years going up through the ranks.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:40 PM   #21
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Hey, the Boy Scouts is a fine organization and 99.9% of their objectives are outstanding. (I'm a former scout leader)

So much of the activities of Scouts involves overnight activities and if gays were openly allowed, I just don't know if parents would be able to send their sons off on trips.

I know children who have been sexually assaulted; parents will go to extraordinary lengths to keep that from happening to their child, even if it involves discrimination within an optional afterschool type activity.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote