All my shrimp died - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #16
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
I use cuttle bone in my tanks. My shrimp graze from it, as well as eating pieces of the cuttle bone itself. Maybe it does something, maybe it doesn't- but for me it's added security.
+1 to that, I can't say it does help, but I know it doesn't hurt so why not is the way I look at it.
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #17
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
Cheapest mineral for shrimps:

Amazon.com: Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement, 4-Ounce: Pet Supplies

I used this for over a years and everything is going well.
That's not the cheapest.

And for neocaridina you can use the dirty plant gh booster like equilibrium or Barr gh booster. Which you can buy a helluvalot lot of for 12 dollars shipped
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #18
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I appreciate all the tips folks. I'll be starting this over again better than before. And I'll have all the right tools to make right.

Anybody have any more culls they want to sell?
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #19
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (98/100%)

I would get a remineralizer, and I would just try tap water. Neos are so tuff and as long as you gh is below 10 and kh lower than 5-6 with a PH from 6.5 -8.0 they should do well
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #20
thelub

I've been pulling my hair out over suggested levels vs my tap levels. Whats the verdict on my water quality report? How much copper is dangerous for my inverts?

I should have my GH and KH kits tomorrow or Saturday
Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #21
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you are using Prime the copper discussion is moot. It will also take care of that chlorine, which will also decimate shrimp and beneficial bacteria.
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #22
thelub

I knew that about a chlorine, but not about copper. I always use prime in my tap water.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #23
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

It says it does on the bottle. Copper is considered a heavy metal.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #24
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I've gotten nothing to add to this discussion except my condolences and I hope your second round goes better for you.

Good luck and stay positive!
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #25
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (98/100%)

Yes just use prime and it will nutralize the cooper

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #26
thelub

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
I've gotten nothing to add to this discussion except my condolences and I hope your second round goes better for you.

Good luck and stay positive!
Thanks I will. Its all a learning experience.

Steve - I'm seriously considering your $0.75 a shrimp deal you have going on right now.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #27
$AN DIEGO N8
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

its like this if you actually had 50 shrimp now you have 3 or 4 the reason is simple those 3 0r 4 are just lucky to still be alive you probably should have known something was seriously wrong when there were only 40 left then you should have tried you youre best to find the dead ones this would have only further contaminated the aquarium and lead to additional death of shrimp as they are pretty sensitive and bam before you know it they are all dead!
$AN DIEGO N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
thelub

That's just it. I looked all the time and never saw any dead ones. I guess my snails could have got to them before I saw them.

I got my API GH and KH kit. Kh is 2 drops to turn color and GH is 3 drops. I'm thinking that is causing bad molts which leads to deaths? I think my spixi snails might be snacking on shrimp as well.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #29
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

Prime doesn't necessarily remove copper from your tap, it's kind of a bonus when it does. This is taken from the thread "Copper @ 1.0?" thread on the front page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
Prime won't remove anything so your test won't tell you anything about whether or not the prime is detoxifying the copper. According to Seachem it won't really do anyhting to detox that much copper. Here is a quote from a seachem rep on another forum:

"Hello thanks for the question. The important thing to remember is that the primary functions of Prime are to detoxify chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. While it will also help to detoxify heavy metals, this is more of a side effect and may not be the most effective means for you. Because Prime will preferentially bind with the other mentioned compounds, it is hard to say how much of any available heavy metals will be detoxified. An RO unit is a much more effective means of removing any heavy metals instead of relying on Prime to remove some of them. With Prime, it is really just an added benefit that any Prime that is active after detoxifying chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will then detoxify as many heavy metal ions as well."
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #30
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

I usually don't do this, but:

Tech Support DD
09-09-2009, 10:37
We apologize for the delay in response. Upon closer inspection of the Water Quality Report that you provided, one can notice a few things. First, please note the change from ppm to ppb for lead and nickel. The amounts reported as detected averages in a survey of homes supplied water tested by 3 facilities are as follows:

Copper = 0.07 - 0.92 ppm
Lead = 1.2 - 4.0 ppb
Nickel = ND - 1.3 ppb

This would be the average range detected for the Miami area for the year 2008. The area water for 2009 can be assumed similar in composition. These values, unfortunately, do not describe the form that these metals are found in the water.

The Action Levels (AL) are as follows:

Copper = 1.3 ppm
Lead = 15 ppb
Nickel = 100 ppb

If more than 10% of the homes surveyed for copper and lead test with numbers above or at the AL, then water treatment facilities must take action to reduce levels. Every county report lists the AL in one column, then lists the detected levels in a separate column. The detected levels and the AL are not the range for the water report. Limits are the concentrations set by the EPA; so, typical values will be values below the EPA limit.

Also: the drop in pH required would be in the acidic range of pH (below 7.0). The lower pH goes/drops in an aquarium, the more available/soluble heavy metals will become (it will also depend upon many other factors in an aquarium environment).

To answer your other question about Prime and heavy metals: the standard dose of Prime (1 mL/10 gallons) will remove:

Copper - 2.6 ppm in 10 gallons
or
Lead - 8.5 ppm in 10 gallons
or
Nickel - 2.4 ppm in 10 gallons

We say "or" between each because that is the maximum amount of each that can be removed assuming none of the other components are present. So for example, one could remove 1.3 ppm of copper and 4.4 ppm of lead or any other variety of differing ratios between them. The relative order of preferential removal should be in the order of lead, then copper, then nickel.