Ada 180p - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #31
GeraldStringham
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey you got a pm
GeraldStringham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #32
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubSsnooki View Post
plant cost about $300 for this tank
Not too bad, I remember my reef days I would pay that for a couple of nice Acros. Plus, you'll most likely have trimming galore once the thing gets going.

I love the 6 foot ADA tanks. Too bad they are so hard to find and so expensive.
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #33
mot
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:

Ive seen plenty of dry start methods before but this is extreme!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #34
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

I've had good experiences buying from here: http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...-Plants_c6.htm they always throw in extra's too. Other than that the FS section of this site is good, but thats quite a large tank, and I can see that getting expensive in shipping alone if you have to source multiple sources.
mythin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #35
BubSsnooki
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yah was thinking dsm but. I choosed to fill it up onced planted.. off topic ..would it be okay to dose pps-pro in the afternoon.. cause it seems like the only time fore daily is around 2-3 pm...thanks for the comment
BubSsnooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #36
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Very cool, nice hardscape! Can't wait to see this planted.

Following.

Ps. I would change the thread name to ADA 180-P, more people will know what it is about then.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #37
BubSsnooki
Algae Grower

Sorry to be asking here but I still am confuse about dosing pps pro if it is okay to do so in the afternoon
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #38
jjt
Algae Grower

Quote:
I think I have the same phone as jjt
I got a note 2 but I think the camera is pretty much the same with gs3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #39
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

You really should buy plants from fellow hobbyists and then........anything else from the LFS/On line vendors.

DSM is fine for some plant species, others, really does not matter much.
For HC, Elatine hydropiper, and few others, it's useful.

Moss/Liverworting rock/wood, the method is modified some, and takes about 2-3 weeks instead of say 8 weeks.

I would suggest getting a lot of plants, more than you need. Most have trouble filling a 180 Gal tank with enough plants. But that is what you need to get it stable right away.

That, lots of water changes and cleaning the tank, after 2-3 weeks, Amano shrimp, plecos(baby bushy nose etc).

Again, same as the plants, add more than you think you need.

Then CO2, CO2 and CO2.

Your rocks, they will be hidden once the plants grow in, they are fair small relative to the wood. I would consolidate them around the base of the wood, and then make a nice outcrop on the left side of the tank with 3-4.
They are too evenly spaced out the way you have it now. Think out it once the plants grow and you might decide to change what you now have.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #40
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

I would suggest getting a lot of plants, more than you need. Most have trouble filling a 180 Gal tank with enough plants. But that is what you need to get it stable right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
You really should buy plants from fellow hobbyists and then........anything else from the LFS/On line vendors.

DSM is fine for some plant species, others, really does not matter much.
For HC, Elatine hydropiper, and few others, it's useful.

Moss/Liverworting rock/wood, the method is modified some, and takes about 2-3 weeks instead of say 8 weeks.
Agree 100% on both points, especially the first. It may seem very obvious in concept to start with a bunch of plants but many times it's hard to really go their as people want things to be perfect and know they will end up with may more plants than they ever want. However, when you actually start with more plants than you need, it's 50% easier compared to having enough to look good, 75% easier or more than having a starting point, depending on other variables (mainly light)

Also agree with drystart. I have found that I am actually more successful without one in my past few tanks, even with commonly used plants. Instead, just up the CO2 and let things grow more quickly. I have yet to find any plant that grows more quickly emmersed myself than in water, given proper lighting requirements and CO2. It makes your life easier, especially on a tank this big but it's not particular helpful for any other reason, IMO.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #41
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I would just continue to do a standard NA setup, order bulk plants from one vendor (forum members are great for specialty, but sometimes the quality, /quantity can sometimes be questionable and not meet your expectations), skip the drystart and fill it day one, drystart really does nothing in the end, you want your plants to adjust as quickly as possible, forcing them from a submerged state to an emmersed and then back to submerged is just too many abrupt changes too early in the tanks life. The first month is the most important, the quicker the plants adapt the faster the system stabilizes. Those are facts, why do you think Wabi-Kusa tanks from Japan grow and look great so fast? Faster adaptation. Just follow ADA's guidelines and you will have a great tank, Aquajournal online is a great resource for information.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #42
BubSsnooki
Algae Grower

thanks for the positive direction and comments ...I jus purchased my plants two days ago with aquariumplants.com and here is the list of the plants I will receive:
Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #43
BubSsnooki
Algae Grower

do you guys think this will do for my tank...another question is I bought the total pellets ..should I insert them under the demanding plants like crypts, sword, hairgrass at planting when my substrate consist of powersand special, penac w and penac p and ADA Amazonia....another question is the height of the substrate on the front is about 2 inches and on the sides of the back 3 to 3.5 inches...should I add more not just for the plants on the background but for the pellets if I will be inserting them under their roots
Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #44
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

That's not nearly enough plants and most of the plants on your order are not fast growers.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #45
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
I would just continue to do a standard NA setup, order bulk plants from one vendor (forum members are great for specialty, but sometimes the quality, /quantity can sometimes be questionable and not meet your expectations), skip the drystart and fill it day one, drystart really does nothing in the end, you want your plants to adjust as quickly as possible, forcing them from a submerged state to an emmersed and then back to submerged is just too many abrupt changes too early in the tanks life. The first month is the most important, the quicker the plants adapt the faster the system stabilizes. Those are facts, why do you think Wabi-Kusa tanks from Japan grow and look great so fast? Faster adaptation. Just follow ADA's guidelines and you will have a great tank, Aquajournal online is a great resource for information.
Yes and no.

DSM does in fact mineralize the soil, much like MTS users suggest you do before usage.

I've argued with the MTS converts about this fact, you can do water changes(lots) like ADA suggest for the 1st 1-2 months, or, do a DSM and then have most of the NH4 converted to NO3 and the bacterial already cycled. The roots are already in place also, so the plants do not have to adapt to the conditions, PLUS grow roots as well.

Plants appear to grow larger in submersed conditions, but they do not have the same dry weight biomass that emergent plants have, emergent growth is always more, I cannot think of any cases where this is not true unless the water runs out of something major during the DSM.

That said, I've been very successful using the DSM and the normal way.
I've found I can also leave enough water in the ADA soil for a 3-4 weeks to cover it and then do 2 back to back water changes around 90% and have no NH4 and do not need to do so many frequent water changes at the start up.

But like many, I scape the tank and want to set it up soon thereafter, that's the hardest part of the DSM. So both paths will lead to the same result, but one requires patience and less labor. So this is a human factor, not one based on methods.
DSM helps folks who do not have enough starting plant material and want to wait for it to grow in. But if you have an ADA 180, $ is not really an issue
But often times, people cannot source enough of certain species to fill the entire 6ft tank length in.

99% of the plants sold commercially are emergent grown BTW, so they do not bob back and forth.