Eco-Complete or FloraMax? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

This is a 20 gallon shrimp tank i setup 4 months ago. Eco-complete substrate only. No ferts, no co2, no root tabs. 2x 13w CFL daylight bulbs. So far so good, except a little hair algae in the last week or 2 which some amano's i put in last Saturday have been cleaning up well.

I trim weekly, and never issues with keeping plants planted. I even have baby dwarf sag's, no issue even keeping those little things in.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #17
mwei
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
This is a 20 gallon shrimp tank i setup 4 months ago. Eco-complete substrate only. No ferts, no co2, no root tabs. 2x 13w CFL daylight bulbs. So far so good, except a little hair algae in the last week or 2 which some amano's i put in last Saturday have been cleaning up well.

I trim weekly, and never issues with keeping plants planted. I even have baby dwarf sag's, no issue even keeping those little things in.

wow...looks nice! :O
mwei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:50 AM   #18
mwei
Planted Member

OK. so...because petco didn't have any eco-complete or floramax I went with whatever they had, ActivFlora. No idea how it will work or if it will get the job done or not...so wish me luck...haha...><
mwei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #19
AlanLe
Gurus Master

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwei View Post
OK. so...because petco didn't have any eco-complete or floramax I went with whatever they had, ActivFlora. No idea how it will work or if it will get the job done or not...so wish me luck...haha...><
You get what you pay
AlanLe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
AquaLady86
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to AquaLady86

I have floramax in my tank that's cycling. What I want to know is, would it be sharp to my cories. If so should I just cap it with sand?
AquaLady86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have used both eco complete and floramax together before. But I'd still have to say eco is better. In terms of growth I think they're both just fine. But floramax is so dirty and requires so much rinsing, unlike eco complete.

I just hate using them though because they are a pain to keep plants down in, they always come lose. That and I don't like the way it looks.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #22
BHolmes
Planted Member

Quote:
I have floramax in my tank that's cycling. What I want to know is, would it be sharp to my cories. If so should I just cap it with sand?
You don't need to cap with sand. It's just fine for cory's.

Quote:
I have used both eco complete and floramax together before. But I'd still have to say eco is better. In terms of growth I think they're both just fine. But floramax is so dirty and requires so much rinsing, unlike eco complete.

I just hate using them though because they are a pain to keep plants down in, they always come lose. That and I don't like the way it looks.
If you're dumping substrate into a tank that has water in it it's going to cloud. You'll never see Takashi Amano dump an entire bag of AS into a tank full of water. Don't rinse any substrate for a planted aquarium. Drain all of the water out of the tank and lay the substrate, hardscape, and plant the plants. Then slowly fill the tank back up using plastic grocery bags to spread the flow of the water from the hose. Your tank will be crystal clear. I just did it this week with MGOPM capped with Flora-Max in my 90g.

Here is immediately after filling the tank before turning the filter back on

Here is 48 hours later. No foaming, clouding, or chemicals used

I haven't even cleaned the surface yet because that's clear too

The biggest mess is all on the outside of my tank

My vote goes to

Old 06-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
AquaLady86
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to AquaLady86

Nice setup. What dirt can I use besides the miracle grow because I cant seem to find it. And how do I dirt it? Minerilize it first?
AquaLady86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #24
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaLady86 View Post
Nice setup. What dirt can I use besides the miracle grow because I cant seem to find it. And how do I dirt it? Minerilize it first?
Same question here too. I have seen many people jut add it in, but i have also seen many people swear by mineralizing it first. Personally I have no time to mineralize soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #25
BHolmes
Planted Member

I didn't mineralize mine. I created a border along the edge of the glass with Flora-Max about 2.5in high. I also made a bed of Flora-Max under the driftwood. Then I poured a two inch layer of soil in the open space. I capped it with the remaining Flora-Max and made a two inch high slope in the back to one inch in the front.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #26
BHolmes
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaLady86 View Post
I found mine at walmart for $5 a bag. You could use any organic topsoil though
Old 06-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #27
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I know you made your choice but I have used Flourite and Floramax with good results, never Eco Complete. The only downside of Flourite is if you use the sand, it can scratch the glass. Well both Flourite and Floramax can but it's easier to do with the sand. Don't use any magnetic cleaner and make sure that if you get in particles in whatever you use to clean, throw it away. It's not that bad but on my oldest tanks, I have a few bad scratches.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote