I<3<*))))>< 's Learning Experience (Rescape - 9/13) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
Pics of the new plants I added in. I think the 1st pic is Wysteria & the 2nd is Rotala rotundifolia.
I think it's actually limnophila sessiliflora. I have the same plant.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #32
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Thanks Lulla! Now to read up on it. It's loving my tank though. I'm already seeing growth, and guess what... I'm loving it back! Such a neat texture and so bright!

I took another video of my Scarlet Badis today, this time them feeding on baby brine shrimp. So yeah, those are the lil "dots" floating around in the water column.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbv2V...ature=youtu.be

I'm also thinking of rescaping a bit. The main reason being each and every morning I'm having to replant my crypt parva. Dunno if the Mystery snail is to blame of my Corys. Either way I'm over replanting em, lol

Plus that right side looks so bare compared to how lush the left side is. I'm toying with ripping out the crypt, I'll put that in my make-shift shrimp tank. Then wanting to add another drawf lily for sure. I just love that plant and my fish have seemed to make the one I have a condo of sorts. Each layer of leaves if like a whole different apartment, or least the Badis seem to think so, hehe. Some more stem plants as well, either some of that limnophila sessiliflora or who knows (open to suggestions, but please keep my low lighting in mind) and maybe another bigger leafed variety of Anubias.

I'd really love feedback on this guys. This is my 1st planted tank & all.
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #33
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another morining, and guess what??? More floating Parva, ugh. Next water change think I'm just going to take it all up.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #34
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do you have any small river rocks you can place on top of any stubborn plants to keep them from floating out of the substrate? I've had to do that with most of my trimmed stems until they develop enough roots to hold themselves down. Works like a charm!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #35
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do & good thinking. I have since moved the Bacopa to the shrimp tank. Thats the stem plant I had that wouldn't stay down. From what others have told me Bacopa never really grows a good root system. The Crypts I dont think Id be able to weight with rocks do to how tiny the plants are. I actually removed a few pieces today and replanted them in the shrimp tank as well.

I have a rescape in mind... need to get a lil money together and buy what I need for it. Wanna redo the substrate. Laterite/soil/sand... flip the wood to show the backside which has loads more character & remove all the Cypt parva and the P. gayi. I love the look of the P. gayi but it does much better in the shrimp tank that has higher lighting... so might as well move it.

I drew up a quick PS scribble for my plans last night... using a pic of my orginal 'scape as it shows the backside of the wood. Just to give a feel of how it might get placed.

Only change thats not shown in the pic would be planting my Nana Petite against the base of the wood in place of the Yellow Circle.

Thoughts on this idea? I wanna keep a full, lush look... but without clutter. So far these plants have worked well for me.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #36
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some random pics I snapped earlier, then played with on instagram... hehe. Thought they looked neat, so I should share.

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #37
redsea
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cool pictures and fish! What a fun tank!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #38
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think your plan looks good! It will make a nice island/beach set-up if you curve the exposed sand around two sides. I agree with putting the anubias nana petite at the base of the wood, too.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #39
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Redsea <333

I'm hoping I'll like it Lulla, seems like no matter what I do there is always something I wanna change, lol. Thanks for your input.

I've been lazy with the tank(s) the last few days, Holiday & all. I am a fdew days behind on WC's so I better get to it soon. Just about to get ready for another cookout and more fireworks, Yippee!

I should start a journal up for my 3gal shrimp tank, but wanting to upgrade them to a 10 or 20. So debating if I should wait till I get that set up or not. Hrmmm, choices,.. choices...

Hope everyone is having a safe & happy holiday
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 07-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #40
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lookie what I found on my glass today while doing WC's....

Hydra .... Eeep!

Not the best pic, but you get the idea. After some reading and posting here asking about 'em I'm not nearly as concerned now. Just hope they fade away soon. I had no idea anything related to jellyfish and such existed in freshwater... so least I was able to learn something new today, lol.

I can't really clean my glass till the Hyrda are gone as I don't want them making other colonies throughout my tank. So I prolly won't be snapping as many pics as I usually do. Plus need to move some plants around. The limnophila already has grown out of the water. I havent even had it but barely a week. Crazy! But good.. I wanted to propgate it a bit anyways as I really love the neon green hue and texture.

Ill try not to leave you all hanging too long & try to get some decent pics sometime soon
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #41
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good news and Bad news...

1st the good, the Hyrda seems to be gone. I haven't seen any in the last 2 days, so Yay to that!

Now for the bad news... Im down to 5 scarlet badis. I had 8. I have no bodies, it's been 5 days since I've seen all 8, and my parameters are all perfect. Theyre all eating fine, I feel live baby brine. What gives?

Same thing happened to the 1st lot of 6 I bought. Only 2 of those remained.

I'm starting to wonder if they were just old? I know the lifespan of Dario dario is about 3-6 years or so & mine we wild caught. Thought I've noticed most hobbyists seem to say they live to around 2 years old tops. But then again this latest batch appeared to be Juvi's, no enlongated pelvic fins....
The ones missing were my 3 reddest males. I've read that some have noticed they show their brightest coloring when reaching the end of their life. Anyone care to chime in on this?

So feel a tad defeated on that front. I don't think I'll be getting anymore of these fish unless I stumbled onto captive bred ones. Awesome fish to watch, actually my favorite Ive ever owned. But Im not gonna fork out $45 shipping and the cost of them, yet again.

Plants and everything seem to be doing great, no algae either. Ill try and get a FTS here in the next few days. I wanna move a few things around 1st.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #42
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Are BBS all you feed them? Just like people, animals need a varied diet. Not to mention, from what I've heard brine shrimp don't have that much nutrients. Don't believe that is the cause of your missing fish, but it could create a healthier tank.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #43
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, afraid it is. I was planning to start converting them to frozen, once they started to take that I was going to start feeding things like Cyclop Eeze & such.

I do feed other food to the tank, just the Badis don't touch any of that. Shrimp granuals & flake food with the occasional Cyclop Eeze for my Bamboo shrimp.

I wonder if I could try and gut feed the baby brine before feeding to the Badis. Any idea if feeding something like powdered fish food, or earthworm powder to the baby brine in my hatchery would polute their water too much?

I usually hatch a new batch every 3-4 days.

I couldn't convice the boyfriend to allow me to culture worms, lol... aren't the girls supposed to be the squeamish ones?
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by I<3<*))))><; 07-10-2013 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #44
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Bah, I have to be polite here but kindly remind him what it is he likes about you and take that away for a spell! He'll change his mind bout a few worms after that
Old 07-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #45
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha, very elegantly put Sake :P
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Tags
endlers, fluval flora, guppy, low tech, nano