Shrimp deaths
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (39/100%)
Question

Shrimp deaths

I'm kinda boggled. My shrimp have been very active and not hiding for the last month. All of a sudden I had three dead today. Two rcs and one blue diomand. I had taken the heat out a week ago because the temperature of the house reaches 90' easily. Main laws refuse to get a central a&c installed. Mind you I have a 18 month oldas well, I think there idiots. Anyways. What the hell could havethishappening. My params have stayed the same I only do top offs with ro water. Ph stays around 6.5-7 the only thing that I changed was I got a new prefilter that is coarser so it wouldn't restrict water flow as much. I'm kinda boggled.

Subtletanks91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

What are your actual parameters?

GH
KH
Temperature?

In addition, have you tested ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Probably the heats. Since it's 90 in your room then it's about the same in the tank. 80 is warning sign. 90 is alarming for shrimps.

Might want to check water parameter see if heat changes anything.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

are your top offs from r/o or filtered tap?
Old 06-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I had a few RCS deaths a few weeks ago and the only thing I could attribute it to was the heat and possible low oxygen level in the tank. I have since removed the hood, this allows water to evaporate faster to cool it off and heat won't build up due to the light. I also started using an air pump via a DIY sponge filter so as to add some more oxygen to the water. Since then everything has been fine. My tank was getting up to 81-83ish but now stays more at 78ish. I was about to buy a fan to blow across the top but it seems my current remedy has fixed it as they are very active and doing well now. Maybe a fan will help you for some evaporative cooling.
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

CA bay area is getting a heat wave this week around 95-100 degree. Definitely want to get a fan to blow the surface area of tank. Walmart and target has fan for only $7-9 and it works great.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Nitrate nitrite ammonia is zero. I don't know the hardness of my water cuz I use the ro water, not filtered tap. And I do remineralize it, or rather have kou yang Rock in the tank. So I should use a bubbler in my tank to help oxygenate it? I do have alot of floaters. And nobody will buy them lol. Too much frogbit in two weeks time. I have lid off and no heater. Maybe a frozen water bottle would help? Def donthavemoney for a chiller.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Yup, this heat wave is driving me crazy. I'd say get a fan to blow across the surface. I'm trying to source a cheap chiller or AC unit (that my parents will be okay with) but it's pretty hard at a budget.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
Nitrate nitrite ammonia is zero. I don't know the hardness of my water cuz I use the ro water, not filtered tap. And I do remineralize it, or rather have kou yang Rock in the tank. So I should use a bubbler in my tank to help oxygenate it? I do have alot of floaters. And nobody will buy them lol. Too much frogbit in two weeks time. I have lid off and no heater. Maybe a frozen water bottle would help? Def donthavemoney for a chiller.
If I recall correctly, your tank is 5g? A bottle of ice will kill your shrimp off because of hypothermia. You cannot control the temp that you want using a bottle of ice. Therefore it might dip below 60 or even lower causing all shrimps to die off.

Get a fan from Walmart for $7, if you don't have a $7 shouldn't start any hobbies to begin with.

Last edited by CookieM; 06-30-2013 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: x
Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

There are two issues here: You aren't remineralizing your water - which you must do when using RO/DI water - and your temperatures are likely fluctuating between extreme points.

Get a small fan and monitor your temperature.

And get a product to add the necessary minerals back to your water.

Quote:
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #11
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Am I wrong in this then, the kou yang is a slow release mineral and calcium supplement. I do let the ro with rock sit for a week stirring everyday. Shouldn't it be remineralized? I haven't had any die offs doing that in the winter. Just recently because of the heat. I bought a 6 inch fan today but having trouble mounting it to the tank. Any suggestions. And if you don't think my water is mineralized enough, what should I get to re mineralized it. Like I said I have one kou yang in the tank.and I have a five gallon jug I stir daily with kou yang in it for a week. Thank you guys for helping

Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is what I did with my 4" fan:

3 nails: two at bottom to hold the leg one on top of the leg to clamp it down

Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I was looking at the metal ones. I think I might just return the one I got and get that one. I got a plastic one that is kinda bulky because it was cheapest and has a base or you can change it to a clamp. Those are like the cable wire tack downs you used?

What about the remineralizing, you think what I have been doing is ok or should I invest in something else aside from using the kou yang I have Ben using the way I have been?

Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #14
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I was looking at the metal ones. I think I might just return the one I got and get that one. I got a plastic one that is kinda bulky because it was cheapest and has a base or you can change it to a clamp. Those are like the cable wire tack downs you used?

What about the remineralizing, you think what I have been doing is ok or should I invest in something else aside from using the kou yang I have Ben using the way I have been?
Yeah I was going to get the clamp one but it super bulky and ugly plastic so I went with the metal one and it's easy to mount.

I have no experience on "kou yang" product. Sound very fishy product by what you described. I use Fluval mineral supplement and it change the tds instantly. About 10 units on the syringe (I use syringe for all my tank for better measurement) will change 0-50 tds in a 5 gallon bucket of RO water for me. Just drop in the supplement give it a good twirl and check with the tds meter.

To get a good idea of how much 10 units is (1 unit of Insulin measures 0.01 mL)
Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #15
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

How much are tds meters.

The kou yang rock is the same as minerock imported from Japan but the kou yang has calcium where the minerock doesn't. It's more of a supplemental in tank for the shrimp to pick on when they need it.