Staghorn Problems/Hair Algae Too
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
willygog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Staghorn Problems/Hair Algae Too

I am new at planted tanks, and now i have algae on everything,, so far its not out of control but its there..well almost out of control...
I do have experience with fish, just not live plants. \

Both Staghorn and Hair algae seem to be present in moderate amounts...

I'm sure i wont have all the information everyone will ask for,, but i'll fill you in best i can...
HOB 240gph /temp is 80'f
Tank 30g>> 36L x 17H x12D
CFL 96watt @ 8hrs a day.
Substrates, Top level is gravel, second level is flora-max, bottom is flourmite..

Aqueon Plant food per directions,
Co2 Booster,
Pressurized Tank Co2 3bps, using a drop checker light green..
PH is 6.9
nitrates, 0
nitrites, 0
ammonia 0
Water changes of 30% twice weekly.

Plants, Asppogen , vals, and something like val but very thin and hard, java moss, Ludwigia glandulosa, dwarf sag,, moss ball, two Anubis, moderately planted tank.. drift wood, and rocks. picture in my sig. some plants not sure what they are, the place i ordered from didn't label them ..
Fish,
2 pleco one L270 chocolate , and one L399 ,2 cae, 9 red cloud tetra, and 12 glow tetras, also a few yellow shrimp, red shrimp, and green shrimp..

so i am just now trying Weiss Organics, Algae Magic... so far no changes, I also trimmed the grass off were it was worste.

ok so i hope this is enough information to get some good suggestions,, poor suggestions are ok if you must..
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
King of Hyrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Me too...

I'm having the same troubles. I run a rather simple Misc. Tetra 29G tank. Finnex light, CO2, AquaClear 50, etc... Substrate, MGO, capped with Eco-Complete.

I trimmed the affected leafs, knocking out about 1/3 of my plants. The pruning opened up the remaining plants to more light and increased water flow. I've increased my CO2 (~66bpm), and have started daily fert, and weekly AlgaeFIX. I've also been running a sponge filter at night to "polish" the water.

I have added dozens of Grass Shrimp and Chinese Algae Eater, and the evil Algae persists.

I'm so desperate to rid my tank, I'm considering taking one of the X-Ray laser from work, over-driving it and hitting the tank with a gamma ray swipe. Trouble is finding the point where the gamma rays kill the algae, but not the fish or plants. However last time I tried screwing around with gamma radiation I ended up giving a mouse super powers - like in the comic books.

I Kid... But really how do I get the algae off my plants and out of my tank?
Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
willygog
Algae Grower

im going to shut down the light after 6hrs.. and boost the nutrients,
see if that works,, should kill it .. light makes algae grow i think.. not sure..
Old 06-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
King of Hyrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

Today, I knocked back some more plants, completed a massive water change (50%), turned up the CO2 even further, started daily doses of fret. I dosed the tank with AlgeaFix. I've noticed that I don't have any shrimp left (perhaps they were dinner for some fish). So I'll add some more Sunday. Feeder shrimp are cheap enough I can keep throwing them into the tank. If the get eaten so be it.

I'm thinking of removing my dwarf puffer. She been keeping the snails in check, but maybe the snails keep the algea in check. I think she the one eating the shrimp, but I have no proof.
King of Hyrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
willygog
Algae Grower

i have read that aglea treatments have small amounts of copper in it.. inverts dont take copper lightly, i have been trying Weiss Organic.. see if it works or not

NOTE: Do NOT use AlgaeFix with crustaceans, including crabs, shrimp, freshwater shrimp and freshwater lobsters.

This is right on the bottle of algaefix.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-30-2013 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
willygog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Hyrule View Post
Today, I knocked back some more plants, completed a massive water change (50%), turned up the CO2 even further, started daily doses of fret. I dosed the tank with AlgeaFix. I've noticed that I don't have any shrimp left (perhaps they were dinner for some fish). So I'll add some more Sunday. Feeder shrimp are cheap enough I can keep throwing them into the tank. If the get eaten so be it.

I'm thinking of removing my dwarf puffer. She been keeping the snails in check, but maybe the snails keep the algea in check. I think she the one eating the shrimp, but I have no proof.
Yea, your use of algaefix definitely killed off your shrimp. And your Chinese "algae eater" doesn't eat algae and simply harasses all your other fish. It is probably the worst fish to have. Absolutely useless.

To the OP: You shouldn't have 0 for nitrates. You need to have some levels of nitrates in order to let the plants thrive. Try acquiring some dry ferts so you can start dosing that way. You seem to have all the components of a successful tank, just not enough ferts. If something is out of balance, that's when algae can take over.