Bba
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Bba

I've got a 55 gallon, 26watt cfl in 8 1/2" dome lights, MGOPM capped with blasting sand. I've noticed some BBA on my plants, algae was expected with that light and no co2. So here comes the part that confuses me, I hadn't been dosing ferts at all, just ordered some the other day. 3 days in and the BBA is disappearing. I'm assuming it's because my plants are growing better, is that correct? Should I set up a co2 system? All the parts came in today for me to build my regulator, and I've got a 20# tank. Was figuring I'd need it with the lighting and ferts, but If the BBA disappears, do I really need it?

From what I can tell it really is disappearing. Nothing should be eating it, only have RCS, tetras, danio, rasbora, gourami, and ottos. It's gone from about a 1/4" long tufts to 1/16th inch on all leaves but 1.

One more thing, I almost forgot I let my DIY co2 run out this week, since I was going to set up pressurized. Could that be the cause the co2 has stabilized? I'm fairly happy bout it disappearing, don't want it to return, so what is causing it.
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Xirxes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Co2 will help remove bba, but for a control, get 1-3 young true Siamese algae eaters. They gobble this stuff down, then trade them in for smaller ones in a year when they get large (4-5") if you like.

I have kept 2-3 in my 125, and now only one large sucker in my 240. No better medicine.
Xirxes is offline   Reply With Quote